Gloss Coat for Tamiya Acrylics base color

dolemitemoffo

Salut everybody,

I have a question concerning using a gloss coat on top of a Tamiya acrylic base color and need some help or advice on this.

I'm am currently converting my Legacy Collection Millennium Falcon and took the following steps already:

1. Primed it with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer Light Grey
2. Applied Tamiya AS-20 Insignia White as my base color.

Everything turned out great. Now I'm at step 3, which is applying a gloss coat in order to do a wash using thinned Tamiya Smoke X-19 which will receive a Tamiya TS80 matte spray.

I tested a Marabu Gloss Coat on a small side panel part, which lead the Tamiya AS-20 to dissolve relatively quickly and I somehow anticipated happening.

My options are relatively limited, so I think about coping Tamiya TS-13 Gloss Clear and wanted to know if anybody had experiences with it in combination with Tamiya Acrylic paints, or any other gloss coats/clearer which don't attack the color underneath.

Thanks in advance everybody for any recommendation or answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then i'd go with the Tamiya Clear. You can't go wrong using a clear coat of the same brand.
Vallejo clear in rattle cans is good stuff, too. I've been using it a lot over Tamyia acrylis and never had any problems. However, i've decanted it to use with my airbrush and i can't remember how it sprays out of the can.

I have used Tamiya clear, Testors clear and Polytranspar clear on top of Tamiya acrylics. The Tamiya acrylic base coat should be left to dry for several days before any top coat. Since you are sealing the base coat for a wash I would spray very light coats of the clear letting it dry in between (a few minutes). You don't need a lot of clear to protect the base coat from the wash. You said it's Tamiya x19 which I thick is acrylic. I'm not familiar with clear your are using (Marabu Gloss Coat) but all the other ones I mentioned are lacquer based so If you flood it with clear it will eat into the base coat. Since you had a reaction I would get the Tamiya clear and test a small area. Most likely it will be fine unless you flood it with the clear.

When you are all done with the washes and ready for the final clear coat......Light coats let it dry in between and for the last coat slightly more wet that the previous ones.

Depending on the exact purpose of the gloss coat, I'd recommend something like Future floor polish or the Pledge comparable if you had an airbrush to work with. Otherwise something like Mr Super Clear works great and is available in a spray can. I have used both and never had any trouble spraying over my model and miniature paint!

Last edited:
Thanks to everybody for the kind and fast responses.

I'll give you guys an update and also for those fellow rookies like me who might stumble across the same head-scratcher.

Based upon the main description (Given the primer + base coat combination and the manufacturer). I applied Tamiya TS-13 VERY lightly on a few pieces (The side panels in my case, I figured if I mess them up they are easy to repaint) and it works like a charm. It worked for me, that being said. I'll give another update once I applied the Tamiya Matte coat after the wash which might be interesting to people who have no experience with it at this point like I do

Another update on this, while I've read some negative concerning using this color as a wash, I followed instructions/cues online by Modelmaker Guru using tamiya smoke X-19 heavily thinned as a wash over a gloss coat. Also, for rookies like me maybe searching for topics on this: In my case it turned out great, aiming for subtle effects on my Falcon to keep the sense of scale in line it def. warmed up the hull and worked out great in combination with a Tamiya Gloss Coat, couldn't be happier with the results

A light dusting and plenty of drying time between coats. I used Tamiya clear gloss, over Tamiya acrylics and it dissolved the paint away. I was able to salvage it, but it was very unexpected!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back