Best sandable filler for resin kits?

DARTH SABER

Master Member
Hi guys, havent had much experience with resin kits so I was wondering what might be the s good sandable filler for gaps and rough edges?

Ive heard bondo is good but dont know which type to get.

Any help would be great.(((.11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use different fillers for different applications. Aves Apoxie Sculpt is the go to for most applications, as it sands really well and has a long working time. Also works well for larger gaps and can add strength to a joint.
I also use Bondo in small amounts, as well as the Bondo glazing putty for smallish surface defects. For smaller pinholes, I have been using Liquitex Modeling paste. Wipe it on over the pinholes, and wipe off the excess with a damp paper towel. When it dries, it’s hard, but sandable. Only needs a light pass with 400 grit to completely smooth it out.

Last edited:
A long time ago, I learned from a master pro modeler to use Evercoat 2-part polyester putty in combination with a lacquer-based, air-dry touch-up putty. The 2-part is used for gaps and fills bigger/thicker than about 1/16 inch. The air-dry is for final surfacing, filling in deep scratches, etc.

Many people use Bondo because it's cheap and readily available. Evercoat is the "good stuff" though and I highly recommend it. I use this:

http://www.evercoat.com/product-detail/base-part/100408/us/

TIPS:

1) This stuff is NOXIOUS! Wear a respirator and even then only work outdoors. The fumes will knock you flat. Don't breathe them!

2) When it first starts to cure it's soft and easy to work with a hobby knife. It gets harder as the hours go by. Try to do most of your finishing work (sanding, etc.) before it's cured for 24 hours. After that, it will be hard as stone.

For final surface prep, Bondo glazing putty works well. It actually "bites" into styrene, so be careful using it on that material:

https://www.amazon.com/Bondo-907-Glazing-Spot-Putty/dp/B0002JM8PY

Whoh, i dont know about the stuff with the fumes. Might pass on that.
Im just working with resin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll throw out Aves Apoxie Sculpt for discussion and give this a bump.
I use this and had pretty good luck. I'm not much of a sculpter, but what I'm working on now turned out pretty good. Does dry quite fast though, so I have to mix a little at a time.

Super glue mixed with talcum powder is something I like to use for small fillings. It hardens well, and you can sand it easily.

Last edited:
For pinholes the only thing I've found that works really well is Gunze Sangyo Mr. Surfacer. It's like thick paint and comes in three types which are thicker or thinner.

Depends on how big of a gap your trying to fill. Aeves Epoxy putty or Magic Sculpt for larger areas.
Regular two part resin with Micro balloons mixed in for seams.
Super glue with Micro balloons for smaller areas.
Micro balloons are used by RC air plane builders as a filler.

I use this stuff from Elmers called Damaged wood two part epoxy resin. It mixes just like aves and is super light weight and sandable. It can be found at Lowes. Aves is similar but much heavier.

Keep it simple - and cheap.

If strength isn't too critical, just use Elmer's wood putty. A lot cheaper than the hobby-specific products, sands like a dream, is smoothable with water.

Try it. Trust me...

Last edited:
Bondo glazing putty is my go to... relatively cheap - dries in a reasonable time - not too fast not too long, and sands well... What more do you really want?

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back