Blade Runner 2049 Bento Box Label Design

Cortekz

Am new to the whole RPF scene, but really wanted an accurate (and cheap) screen item to make myself, so figured the bento boxes would be a great place to start.
As found in this scene:
ref_img1.png

Received my box the other day from https://www.monbento.co.uk/bento-box-monbento-mb-original-grey-made-in-france.html (just incase you didn't know) and measured the area where these labels are, using the following as reference points:
ref_img2.pngref_img3.png

After comparing to my own bento box, I figured the approximate size of this label was around 3.8cm(H) x 9cm(L).
Next was to figure out the triangle pattern on the left side of the label. Luckily, it seems they reused this design on other items, and I used this image as a reference point for this:
ref_img4.png
5 patterns of triangles, with slightly different lengths and arrangements. Luckily this photo was pretty much straight on, so it was relatively easy to accurately size them. Next is the japanese text. The larger text loosely translates to "Long-term preserved food", according to google translate, which helped me in deciphering what the text next to the orange dot could be, as it is not legible in any reference material. I presumed it to be "Expiry date" in japanese, followed by a date.

I've not managed to get the text font accurate, but in my eyes this is pretty decent. I had seem some people asking for the labels on forums, but no-one actually producing any, so thought I'd give it a shot. Let me know what you think!
design2 9cm.png

(Below is the dropbox link, with the photoshop file, and the .png if you wish to inspect yourself. The file is VERY MESSY, you have been warned. I'm not photoshop wizard)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dwzzk7rhsqt6vlj/AAANVAYUMjSqXyn871mLmKuDa?dl=0

The bento boxes, and other food containers, are on my project list as well. Thanks for sharing your work!

Am new to the whole RPF scene, but really wanted an accurate (and cheap) screen item to make myself, so figured the bento boxes would be a great place to start.
As found in this scene:
View attachment 795749

Received my box the other day from https://www.monbento.co.uk/bento-box-monbento-mb-original-grey-made-in-france.html (just incase you didn't know) and measured the area where these labels are, using the following as reference points:
View attachment 795750View attachment 795751

After comparing to my own bento box, I figured the approximate size of this label was around 3.8cm(H) x 9cm(L).
Next was to figure out the triangle pattern on the left side of the label. Luckily, it seems they reused this design on other items, and I used this image as a reference point for this:
View attachment 795752
5 patterns of triangles, with slightly different lengths and arrangements. Luckily this photo was pretty much straight on, so it was relatively easy to accurately size them. Next is the japanese text. The larger text loosely translates to "Long-term preserved food", according to google translate, which helped me in deciphering what the text next to the orange dot could be, as it is not legible in any reference material. I presumed it to be "Expiry date" in japanese, followed by a date.

I've not managed to get the text font accurate, but in my eyes this is pretty decent. I had seem some people asking for the labels on forums, but no-one actually producing any, so thought I'd give it a shot. Let me know what you think!
View attachment 795753

(Below is the dropbox link, with the photoshop file, and the .png if you wish to inspect yourself. The file is VERY MESSY, you have been warned. I'm not photoshop wizard)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dwzzk7rhsqt6vlj/AAANVAYUMjSqXyn871mLmKuDa?dl=0

PERFECT!!! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Great job! Thanks for sharing!!

Is it me or does it almost look like the gray/white rectangles on the background of the red label are also on the white label, but they just blend in with the white of the Bento Box. It seems the patterns are the same. It may be the lighting, but when I look closely at the pics with the white bento, it looks like those gray/white rectangles are there.

Last edited:
Is it me or does it almost look like the gray/white rectangles on the background of the red label are also on the white label, but they just blend in with the white of the Bento Box. It seems the patterns are the same. It my be the lighting, but when I look closely at the pics with the white bento, it almost looks like those gray/white rectangles are there.

Oh wow great spot! I think you're right, very faint but I can see it now you've mentioned it. ..back to the drawing board :p

Neat little project, nice one. I'm not sure it's worth much as a random thought only, but it is one that I had;

I watch some dumb youtube channels which are about eating extremely ancient MRE meals (yes, it is as strange as it sounds), and noticed a bunch of these type of very preserved products list a "packaged on" rather than expiry date.

Like I said, just a thought that occured, and no reason to change anything, especially since we are just guessing. I like your labels, thanks for sharing.

"packaged on" rather than expiry date.

Decided to check over some more photographs, and it seems that it is not infact text at all, but rather the number 1123, which appears on other labels. The numbers that appear after that in a date-like sequence XX-XX-XX seem to be random too:
ref_img5.pngref_img6.png

I amended my original design based from this. I also added the gray barcode-like background that MAJSmith spotted:
design2 9cm_v3.png

Heres the version with japanese text instead. Kinda prefer this, but not screen accurate according to the reference images linked above:
design2 9cm_v4.png

Another here. Taken from the Box Appetit (Black & Blum) lunch boxes. Reference photo here:
ref_img7.png

Box is 17.5cm x 17.5cm. Estimated the label was around 6cm x 6cm. My design:
box_appetit_rice_label.png

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back