Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    May 2014
    Feb 14, 2018, 2:45 PM - "ANH" Tusken Raider #1

Another costume build parallel to my Dark Souls project. As if I had not enough to do, but alas lets get started.

Now, a little bit about my favourite costume. Back when I was pretty young my uncle showed me this old film. Star Wars "A New Hope". And with that I was hooked. The space ships, the lightsabers, Darth Vader. It is quiet obvious that from that point on I was a big Star Wars Fan. But one thing really stayed with me. The Tusken Raider.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen_shot_2015-08-31_at_11_2a3df597.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	795649

The costume is as genius as it is simple and recognisable. A few years back when I was starting out with prop building and cosplaying I build myself a Tusken Raider Costume. Now by my standards nowadays it is pretty simple and rough, but back then I was pretty proud of it.

Name:	IMG_0973.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	795642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1448.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	795643

After a few times I had worn it on conventions, it sadly stated to fall apart and went into storage.
    But it never really left my mind. And a few months back I got the "itch" and started planing for a new and improved, accurate Tusken Raider.

The first part I have tackled is the mask. It is build from the "Godzilla Tusken Raider Mask Kit". It is pricy but said to be the best.

Name:	IMG_2357.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	5.39 MB 
ID:	795644

I have to say, building it was a real treat. Everything fit well and the metal parts are beautiful and make the whole thing feel "real".
    The finished mask is really close to the original, so close even it may be hard to distinguish it from the original.

Name:	IMG_2375.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	795645

The mask is held on my head by a cut down bicycle helmet. It is reasonable comfortable and holds on pretty stable.

Name:	IMG_2398.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	7.52 MB 
ID:	795647
  2. Member Since
    May 2014
    Mar 8, 2018, 3:43 PM - Re: "ANH" Tusken Raider #2

The next part are the Inner-Robes.
    I have been researching for some time to make them as accurate as possible. For this costume I am working of the Peter Dimond Tusken Raider.

Name:	EP4-scn18-012.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	800977

The InnerRobes are made up from:
    -The Under Robe. It reaches down to the ankles and has long slim sleeves.
    -The actual Inner Robe. It is shorter than the Under Robe, is split in the front similar to Jedi-Tunics and has short wide sleeves.

Name:	IMG_2470.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	5.82 MB 
ID:	800974

I have also fund a fabric that is pretty similar to the one used in the original Outer-Robe.

Name:	IMG_2486.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	8.66 MB 
ID:	800976
  3. Member Since
    May 2014
    May 5, 2018, 8:06 AM - Re: "ANH" Tusken Raider #3

So, finally something new.
    My Bandoliers and Belt arrived and I threw everything together for a test fit. I am quiet happy with them and a bit sorry for what I am going to do to them when I get to aging.
    Here is the whole ensemble so far:

Name:	IMG_2490.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	815010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2496.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	815011
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    May 5, 2018, 10:51 AM - Re: "ANH" Tusken Raider #4

That looks already quite convincing to me

Cha´m
  5. Member Since
    May 2014
    May 6, 2018, 5:36 AM - Re: "ANH" Tusken Raider #5

Thanks. A lot of work went into making it as accurate as possible. On the picture I am only wearing the Inner Robes and I did a lot of researching to make them look just like the original ones. To find a photo that showed how they look around the arms was probably the hardest part as there is not a lot of reference material and on nearly all pictures the Outer Robes cover most of the costume.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    May 6, 2018, 11:55 AM - Re: "ANH" Tusken Raider #6

Looking forward to your outer robes being added

Cha´m
  7. Member Since
    May 2014
    May 6, 2018, 2:53 PM - Re: "ANH" Tusken Raider #7

I even got a fitting fabric with a similar pattern to the screen used one.

So, onward with the build. I have finished ageing the bandoliers.

Name:	IMG_2507.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	6.35 MB 
ID:	815320

To create a realistic used look and patina (as the real bandoliers were aged though real usage) I first started with beating and stretching the leather to soften it and create wrinkles. Then I proceeded with treating the surface with acetone to dull it and create lighter coloured areas similar to real bleached and worn leather.

After that the bandoliers were brushed with a wire brush, beaten with a hammer and pulled over gravel to get the used edges and scratches right.

Last step was creating a patina. I used salt water, ash and dust to create the grime simulating exposure to the elements.

Name:	IMG_2516.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	8.05 MB 
ID:	815321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2520.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	8.50 MB 
ID:	815326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2523.jpg 
Size:	7.90 MB 
ID:	815327
  8. Member Since
    May 2014
    May 23, 2018, 1:46 PM - Re: "ANH" Tusken Raider #8

So. Lets get to those parts that do not get that much attention but are VERY important for the costume.

The Boots:

My boots are made from very comfortable and light knock off Crocs. Bonus points for already existing venting holes. Hell, they even got a soft gel layer that makes them even more cushy.

Name:	Clogs+von+Blue+Fin+in+schwarz+-+DEICHMANN--1460713_P.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	819451
    After removing the loop, I made a sleeve and sewed it to the shoe. It has a slit on it's side so I can slip in and the rubber band on top holds it to my calf. The lower wrappings are glued to the shoe, and the upper part gets wrapped around the sleeve after the slit is laced close.

This construction prevents the wrapping from slipping or coming lose and is all in all pretty robust.

Name:	IMG_2591.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	819452

The Gloves:

The base for the gloves is, surprisingly, the same model of glove that got used in the original Costume in "A New Hope". Hard to believe but they still get produced, made from the same fabric, with the same pattern and can be bought in most hardware stores across the world.

To make them easier to wear, I made some concessions. Instead of the glove and some lose wraps like the Original Costume had them, I made the wraps and gloves into one piece. A lot more comfortable and easier to get on.

I cut down the gloves and added a short sleeve with rubber a band at the end. This creates a base structure to hold the wraps and the band stops them from slipping.

Name:	IMG_2527.jpg 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	819462

Afterwards I fixed the wraps, that are made from the same denim fabric as the mask wraps, to the gloves with a few stitches and some thick yarn.

Name:	IMG_2552.jpg 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	819463

The Neck Seal:

In case of the Neck Coverings I also diverted from the Original Costume. Instead of loose bandages that get wrapped around the neck like a shawl, I decided to make a Neck Seal. This is a lot more comfortable and will not slip or come undone, which especially in the neck region, is very bothersome.

Name:	EP4-scn18-028 Kopie.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	819474

The Neck Seal is made up from a rectangular pice of cotton fabric that has been lined with a thin fleece, to stiffen it and make it more comfortable, covering the neck and a circular pice that covers the shoulders. The Wraps, again the same fabric as the head wraps, are stitched to the neck part.

Name:	IMG_2568.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	6.03 MB 
ID:	819464

The Neck Seal is fastened in the back with snaps that are hidden when the seal closed. Works really well and is a lot more resilient than velcro.

Name:	IMG_2582.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	7.91 MB 
ID:	819465
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    May 23, 2018, 3:34 PM - Re: "ANH" Tusken Raider #9

Those are some well thought solutions ... to wear a costume for just a few minutes in a scene on set with a wardrobe team standing by to aid, is quite different from cosplaying a costume for several hours on end at an event . . . so kudos for your skills in solving some of those issues in wearing those wrappings around your moving body

Cha´m
  10. Member Since
    May 2014
    May 24, 2018, 11:27 AM - Re: "ANH" Tusken Raider #10

Yeah. Nowadays I put a lot of thought into making my costumes comfortable and easy. Makes for a much better Convention Experience when the costume just works.

And now, intermediate Pictures of the partially finished costume:

Name:	DSC_0121 Kopie.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	819623 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0117 Kopie.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	915.6 KB 
ID:	819625 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0116 Kopie.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	881.0 KB 
ID:	819627

The Costume was really comfortable and held up very well. It was even not all that hot. The linen fabric I used for the robe breathes very well and heat does not accumulate to much, even under direct sunlight.
    From
    Brussels
    May 24, 2018, 11:36 AM - Re: "ANH" Tusken Raider #11

it's super beautiful, that with a little bit of weathering will be extremely realistic! congrats