Black Panther (Post-release)

What did you think of Black Panther?

• Total voters
The timeline actually works better than Marvel thinks -- if they just let go of their internal conceits and look at the MCU as so far laid out. The only hard and fast dates we have are 2014 for the two GOTG films and 2016 for Homecoming. Using the derived stuff from other referents, Iron Man gets bumped back to it's original release year of 2008. Iron Man 2 starts in early-ish 2010, and encompasses also Thor and Incredible Hulk (and the beginning of Doctor Strange is a bit before that). The bookends of Captain America are right after, and Avengers is a couple months after that.. So the eight years after the Chitauri attack holds up.

The only one I have any issue settling is Iron Man 3. It's around the end of some year. The problem arises in how long it's been since Tony's one-night-stand with Maya. That was New Year's Even 1999/2000. When she shows up at his door, he has a panicked moment that there's a thirteen year old kid waiting in her car. She corrects his math for gestation, but it still would mean that's Christmas 2013. Which means Tony's been (not) dealing with his PTSD and building thirty-plus suits for a good three years. Which I don't have a problem with, except that it feels like it's supposed to be much closer after Avengers than that. *shrug*

I haven't waded more actively into the rest of Phases 2 and 3 yet, as it also involves all the series, as well as the films.

But as for Black Panther being "too soon", just rewatched Civil War and, while nothing solid is in the dialogue, it only seems to be about four or five days after the bombing that everything is wrapped up and Zemo is in T'Challa's custody.

--Jonah

Last edited:
I'm confused...In the film T'Challa is on his way home to Wakanda after the events of Civil War...But during mid-credits scene of Civil War he's already home helping Barnes and Rogers...

The way I see it, the entirety of Black Panther takes place in a week at most after T'Challa takes Zemo to Ross. That would have been enough time for Cap to break out the guys at the Raft and retreat to Wakanda afterwards, where T'Challa helps them out.

According to this article (sourced from reddit and the MCU wiki), the bombing where T'Chaka is killed is on June 8, the final fight of CW is on June 10, Cap and Bucky head to Wakanda on June 16, and Black Panther takes place June 23. Which would be almost 2 weeks since T'Chaka is killed. I don't get where they get the exact dates from, though.

The way I see it, the entirety of Black Panther takes place in a week at most after T'Challa takes Zemo to Ross. That would have been enough time for Cap to break out the guys at the Raft and retreat to Wakanda afterwards, where T'Challa helps them out.

Now that i think about it, this is incorrect. Steve and Bucky must have arrived sometime in the middle of the film off-screen. Perhaps in the time frame between T'Challa's coronation ceremony and Killmonger's arrival in Wakanda as Shuri mentions in the film that she has "another broken white boy to fix". I don't think the CW credits scene happens after BP because there was just too much drama that went on in Wakanda for them to invite outsiders that quickly.

Can you believe in this decade a Black Panther movie far surpassed a Superman movie, a Batman movie, a Superman and Batman movie and a Justice League movie at the box office ... on a smaller budget?

Yup! Just a good story about a King with great morals, a positive message, and "moddest" superhero budget.

See, DC? It doesn't HAVE to be a dark and gritty film to get the butts in the seats....

:facepalm I doubt there is anyone on the RPF that would argue against the benefits of the arts and exposure to the creative process.

I fully support their dislike for a particular movie.

It is just that in my experience comics and even more so comic book movies have been greatly looked down upon.
I revel in the fact that a comic book movie opened up Saudi Arabia.

This shows the power of the arts. :cheers

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-movie-black-panther.html

Congratulations to Marvel and everyone involved the production.

For the nay-sayers, doubt any are on the RPF, look what a "little comic book" movie has accomplished.
Just imagine how many people in the Kingdom are going to remember and be inspired by the day they were able to go to a movie.

The impression I got was that this was going to happen at some point anyway. BP simply happened to coincide conveniently with this event. Still, I’m proud that a Marvel film will be the first.

And in fairness, it’s not like most Saudis haven’t been to a movie theater before. Most of them simply dealt with the inconvenience of traveling outside the country just to watch their movies in theaters.

- - - Updated - - -

Take a look at the poll. There are at least 5.
Make that 4.

I killed one with my bare hands.

It's only been out for 80+ days, it made >$6 mil last week and it'll be $4 mil this week. In this same week (week 12) CA3:Winter Soldier pulled in $175k. These things tend to run for 120-150 days cause they can milk that much out of them, granted the last few weeks it get down to 200-50 theaters. BP is still in 1600 theaters.

Not to mention it's just $6.5 million from hitting $700 million domestic and by the time it hits that mark it will also have passed "Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows2" worldwide gross. This would make it the #8 worldwide gross unless Infinity War passes them before then (which may actually happen :lol ).

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back