Black Panther (Post-release)

What did you think of Black Panther?

• Total voters
I don't think a little reminder of the wicked and horrifying things our ancestors did hundreds of years ago is a bad thing...history has a tendency to repeat itself, so by not forgetting the bad parts is a great way of preventing them from ever happening again.

Also, I've seen you use the argument about how the movie is about a fictional African nation based on a comic book a lot. While this is true, I want to remind you that the MCU has always been presented as somewhat of an alternate reality to our own universe/history. Captain America: The First Avenger focuses heavily on World War II, but I don't see you complaining about how you don't want to be reminded of that...

I was a little puzzled with there being graffiti on the walls toward the end. Didn't seem to fit in with the harmony they'd established. Was it a side effect of Killmonger being in charge, however briefly?

A little 

Again, what does colonizing and white ancestors have to do with the movie? Nothing.
I watched YouTube videos about how the film was received in places like Kenya and Nigeria. They loved the film. It seems a lot of folks in Africa, justly or unjustly, still do carry a huge chip on their shoulder about the history of colonization. I feel like this film is simply accurate about portraying that. And it’s one of the pillars of Killmonger’s ideals. I don’t feel like the film itself is trying to pound us over the head with western guilt but it does tap into that (ugly) sentiment.

Through African (YouTuber and podcaster) eyes it was interesting to see Wakanda tantalizingly representing what their nations might have been without western intervention or control over their natural resources. Most (but not all) of them do realize that Wakanda representing “what might have been” is also pure fantasy. The single small “complaint” I saw about the film is all the ceremony and dancing around T’Challa’s coronation - “We don’t do all that anymore. Haha. This is not a wedding!” But I think it makes sense that Wakanda, having been more culturally isolated, would have held on to more of its traditions. The fact that they don’t “do all that anymore” is arguably the result of western influence.

Last edited:
I was a little puzzled with there being graffiti on the walls toward the end. Didn't seem to fit in with the harmony they'd established. Was it a side effect of Killmonger being in charge, however briefly?

Are you talking about Shuri's lab? Again, she's a 16 yo who is referencing urban/21st century culture. Especially with the Vine joke; "BUT WHAT ARE THHHHOOOSSSEEE???". They were trying to showcase the fact that she was an "in-the-know", hip teen. Music blasting, urban art on the walls.

I thought it melded brilliantly with her character, the same way that blasting ACDC and Black Sabbath shirts for Stark worked for him.

Are you talking about Shuri's lab? Again, she's a 16 yo who is referencing urban/21st century culture. Especially with the Vine joke; "BUT WHAT ARE THHHHOOOSSSEEE???". They were trying to showcase the fact that she was an "in-the-know", hip teen. Music blasting, urban art on the walls.

While we did chuckle at that reference, my wife & I got a bigger laugh out of the follow up line "No sandals in my lab!"
She's a biology professor who has kicked many kids out of her lab for inappropriate footwear. (Dropped scalpels are common)
Especially in FL, where many girls come to lab dressed like they're going clubbing.

Yes! I absolutely loved the meld of sarcastic teenager with brilliant young woman who runs a tight ship. She's definitely one of my new favorite MCU characters. If we don't see her go toe to toe with Stark it would be a crime! I hope she mops the floor with him! :lol

They carry a huge chip because they're constantly reminded to feel angry about things that happened in the past. Such as in this movie, where it's needless

Man, I think I'm just burnt out on these Marvel movies. The scenes that I've seen in the trailers look like so much bright color. When every action sequence looks like a ton of fireworks going off I just can't get into it. It just seems like subtlety is dead... and marvel killed it.

I get that they are supposed to be comic book movies, but IM had a really normalized color pallette and it looked great. Maybe even made it believable. I watched GOTG v2 the other day and could not get past the fact that everything was neon colored. It just makes it look fake and campy.

Maybe it's just me, but all the Marvel movies seem to be going that route and it has really taken me out of it.

They carry a huge chip because they're constantly reminded to feel angry about things that happened in the past. Such as in this movie, where it's needless

It is most certainly not needless and part of Africa's heritage and history. Would you tell the Jewish people to stop being "angry" over WWII? It happened in the past *shrug*...must be needless?

I can't even go any further into this. Comics, especially Marvel comics, have always been politically driven. Jack Kirby made Black Panther punch out the KKK as a reflection of Captain America punching Hitler, on top of the politically charged era of Civil Rights. Which still, unfortunately stands as a hot button issue.

img.jpg

Comics and political climates go hand in hand. The same way the X-Men take on those who appose civil rights and push for those who are different, to have a voice.

Where have you been? What have you been watching and listening to??

The movie was awesome, you're just picking apart one thing that made you butt hurt. And that one thing is ridiculous and unfounded in this day and age.

Superheros have been there to show the light and the very dark side of our society through fantastical story telling. They were there for kids who needed to understand the climate around them, in a way that they could grasp. As well as empowering those who didn't have a voice.

Can't believe this is an actual debate about this movie right now...

Last edited:
I get that they are supposed to be comic book movies, but IM had a really normalized color pallette and it looked great. Maybe even made it believable. I watched GOTG v2 the other day and could not get past the fact that everything was neon colored. It just makes it look fake and campy.
The colors and design of GotG and GotG 2 were a reaction to the monochromic depiction of space that had been pervasive for past several decades. The aesthetic of Ridley Scott's Alien informed just about every sci-fi film for the next several decades where space was a sterile, oppressive void and spacecraft were varying shades of gray generously encrusted with greeblies. GotG splashed colorful nebulae into the dark space canvas and had boldly colorful, svelte spacecraft. I think it was a breath of fresh air.

I’m sorry I totally lied about not trying to start a argument:lol

It was a good movie, Shuri was awesome.

Why didn’t Saw Guerrera use Bor Gullet to see what Killmonger was up to? :p

Correct me if I'm wrong, as it's been awhile since I watched it, but in TFA they didn't cite specific examples of how Hiltler was putting Jews in the gas chamber. They didn't throw jabs at Germans during the movie. They told a story in which we all knew what happened. They didn't feel the need to make it clear to Germans how F'd they were. Yes they call Nazis by what they were because that was they were at that time.

Calling white people colonizers in this movie is like me going around to Germans and calling them all Nazis

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back