Black Panther (Post-release)

What did you think of Black Panther?

• Total voters
Correct me if I'm wrong, as it's been awhile since I watched it, but in TFA they didn't cite specific examples of how Hiltler was putting Jews in the gas chamber. They didn't throw jabs at Germans during the movie. They told a story in which we all knew what happened. They didn't feel the need to make it clear to Germans how F'd they were. Yes they call Nazis by what they were because that was they were at that time.

Calling white people colonizers in this movie is like me going around to Germans and calling them all Nazis

The Captain America movie was not told from the POV of a Jewish character. Had it been, all those things you mention might have been in there and would have been totally apropos. As Black Panthere is told from the POV of African people, it makes total sense that they think and behave the way they do. And that goes for African people in our world as well. They dont need to be reminded of things like colonization and what its done to their continent. Its there in their face every single day.

This has all been explained to you a multitude of ways, over and over again. Clearly you're being willfully ignorant of actual history and history within the context of the film. You're just trolling now.

I empower you to go onto social media and search the word "colonizer", see how it's being used as racial slander towards whites and then come back and report.

- - - Updated - - -

Just stop.

The only thing racist in the theater you watched the film in was you.

Cool story. I spend almost $80 to go watch an all black movie because I'm racist. Please

Are you talking about Shuri's lab?
No. I think of those as murals.

I mean on the outer walls of city buildings. Not paintings of people or animals or whatever, but "K'ilroy was here" type of stuff, lettering like you see on the side of railroad cars.

- - - Updated - - -

They carry a huge chip because they're constantly reminded to feel angry about things that happened in the past. Such as in this movie, where it's needless
Well you have the luxury of sometimes not being reminded. They are reminded every minute of their lives.

No. I think of those as murals.

I mean on the outer walls of city buildings. Not paintings of people or animals or whatever, but "K'ilroy was here" type of stuff, lettering like you see on the side of railroad cars.

Wakanda is a flourishing city in and of it's self, it appears. It seems to reside in a limbo state of past, present and future. All of which flow in harmony through out the city, and knowledge and worldly awareness seems to be shared throughout. It could have been from the small take over, or it could have been Wakanda's version of urban tag art. It seems even with all the technological advancement and harmony that Wakanda has in their seclusion, they are not without their bored teenagers tagging walls and and Wakandian porta-potties! :lol (I say that because people tag porta's here...like...y tho??)

You spent $80 to go watch an all black movie then come online to complain that it had true history about Africa in it.

If it walks like a racist and talks like a racist, it's a racist...

Ah, so because I feel that it didn't need to be pointed out and heavily exploited, I'm a racist, gotcha. You sound like all the other fools who like to call people names because they didnt think "it was the best movie ever".

Lol have a good day.

And last time I checked this was a forum for people to come and review movies could be wrong though. If my opinion triggers you so much, stop engaging in conversation. It's pretty simple. I've already pointed out the movie was good, with a few issues but you want to keep harping.

Ah, so because I feel that it didn't need to be pointed out and heavily exploited, I'm a racist, gotcha. You sound like all the other fools who like to call people names because they didnt think "it was the best movie ever".

Lol have a good day.

No, I could clearly understand someone saying it wasn't the best movie ever.

I can't understand someone trying to claim that a movie offering up facts is "racist" just because they "don't need to be reminded of what [their] white ancestors did hundreds of years ago."

You've still, to this point, offered zero actual proof that the film is "racist towards whites" as you stated in your first post in this thread.

What you have have done is:
Mentioned numerous times the number of black people in the movie
Said that African history isn't relevant in a film where African history was the motivating factor of the protagonist
Said that black people have a "chip" because of things that happened hundreds of years ago, which proves you're ignorant to the fact that these things still go on today
Mentioned you have a "half black friend." You know what I call my black and half black friends? I call them friends, just friends.

So so while I may come across like "all the other fools" who call people names because those others didn't like a film, you come across as a racist snowflake who's delicate feelings got hurt because a movie that focuses on black characters and black culture didn't conveniently omit the references of the oppression and exploitation of black people and Africa so that you wouldn't have to be reminded of those facts, those things that actually happened, and continue to happen.

I think everyone has chimed in on that topic. Lets steer this thread another direction and get it on a different topic.

So did anyone else notice the first end credit scene gave off a vibe that felt like it paralleled the ending of the first Iron Man?

I loved T'Challa's smirk when the guy asked him something along the lines of "So what would Wakanda have to offer the rest of the world?"

FACT: Europeans colonized Africa. This is not racist. It's a fact.
FACT: Ancestors of Europeans robbed and stole precious items from African people. This is not racist. It's a fact.

They have to do with the movie because:
A. It's set in Africa, and African history is part of the story
B. These facts explain Killmonger's character, and are used to serve as his motivations. Without them, he's just a jerk who wants a throne.

I had to wade into this with all of the "facts" being thrown around. Hopefully this doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. If it does please leave for a safe space:

Fact: Slavery existed in Africa long before Europeans showed up. Slavery was practiced by warring African tribes.
Fact: Most Africans were sold into slavery by other Africans.
Fact: Africa is not a homogeneous ethnic and political entity. It is a large land mass. With lots of very different peoples.
Fact: Slavery still exists in Africa today. Forced labor (slavery) in Sub-Saharan Africa is estimated at 660,000. — Antislavery Society, What is Modern Slavery

And just to add a little balance:

Fact: There were European slaves as well. Condon estimates "the number of Irish transported to the British colonies in America from 1651 - 1660 to have exceeded the actual number of colonists. Estimates vary between 80,000 and 130,000 regarding the amount of Irish sent into slavery in America and the West Indies during the years of 1651 - 1660.

So, let's all agree that the Black Panther was awesome. Yes, it was a little heavy handed in a scene or two with the racial undertones. Finally, slavery is bad.

-OWK

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I could clearly understand someone saying it wasn't the best movie ever.

I can't understand someone trying to claim that a movie offering up facts is "racist" just because they "don't need to be reminded of what [their] white ancestors did hundreds of years ago."

You've still, to this point, offered zero actual proof that the film is "racist towards whites" as you stated in your first post in this thread.

What you have have done is:
Mentioned numerous times the number of black people in the movie
Said that African history isn't relevant in a film where African history was the motivating factor of the protagonist
Said that black people have a "chip" because of things that happened hundreds of years ago, which proves you're ignorant to the fact that these things still go on today
Mentioned you have a "half black friend." You know what I call my black and half black friends? I call them friends, just friends.

So so while I may come across like "all the other fools" who call people names because those others didn't like a film, you come across as a racist snowflake who's delicate feelings got hurt because a movie that focuses on black characters and black culture didn't conveniently omit the references of the oppression and exploitation of black people and Africa so that you wouldn't have to be reminded of those facts, those things that actually happened, and continue to happen.

Man you love to cherry pick

My half black friend was mentioned because even he said the FILM was a little racist towards whites
In my effort to make you see that it wasn't only whites who saw the racism, it apparently went over your head

Anyways, this is why I have an issue with it. Not because it wasn't true but because of the way it was presented, now you have this. Only perpetuating more racism.
Screenshot_20180221-150146.pngScreenshot_20180221-150129.png

What was the 2nd after credits scene about? I only saw the one in the UN.

Some Wakandan kids are looking at someone in a hut. They come running out and Shuri asks if they're still messing with that man.

They call him White Wolf. It's Bucky. He comes out and Shuri asks "How are you feeling Sergeant Barnes." He tells her he's doing better and to call him Bucky.

I read that there's a comic that prefaces Infinity War that explains that Shuri developed a way to put Bucky's memories back into his head while erasing the things that Hydra did to him, so I'm guessing the scene is meant to accompany that.

it was a good film...loved Michael b Jordan...amazing job as the villain...

seemed like a reused storyline...like Loki Thor fighting for the throne feel...way too much cgi...were probably my main complaints...

that one cia agent is a poor man's agent Coulson .....but still enjoyable..

its a fun film...its not winter soldier good...but a fun film like the recent Thor

Awesome!!!

I enjoyed the movie but i really enjoyed talking to some black colleagues of mine at a conference this week about the movie. I vicariously felt the joy they experienced. This movie is a true phenomenon that wasn't directed at me but I enjoyed it anyway.
I wish I could go see it with Hooper X;)

I know what you mean about the vicarious joy. They're getting a taste of what I felt watching Wonder Woman and I absolutely love it.

I think I just had a dyslexic moment and reversed "Dope" and "Black" when I first read that title.

I enjoyed the movie but i really enjoyed talking to some black colleagues of mine at a conference this week about the movie. I vicariously felt the joy they experienced. This movie is a true phenomenon that wasn't directed at me but I enjoyed it anyway.
I wish I could go see it with Hooper X;)
I don't think it's fair to say the film wasn't directed at you. the film is really built for universal appeal.

You don't have to be part of the rebel alliance to enjoy Star Wars. ;)

Last edited:
The wife and I just got back from seeing it. I think it was overhyped.

Leisurely paced, predictable, and waaaaay too much mediocre cgi. I call it a middling MCU movie.

We both shrugged our shoulders, said it was good but not goooood, and moved on to looking forward to Ant Man and Wasp.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back