Black Panther (Post-release)

What did you think of Black Panther?

• Total voters
Saw a preview screen tonight. I really enjoyed the movie. It does break the typical superhero mold, and especially the Marvel mold. The opening act was a little slow paced I felt, but I also know very little about Black Panther, so it was probably slow for my benefit haha Once things kicked off it was really strong, and the final third once everything started coming together was really compelling. Michael B Jordan was a stand out villain and one of the strongest Marvel villains, and the cast across the board were strong, not a sour note anywhere. The action was good, not as much ‘super’ action as other films, the best fight scenes were really grounded and human, and very character driven in a way that I think only Civil War has achieved before. The soundtrack was a highlight too, much more personality than the typical Marvel flick. Really worthwhile seeing, I hope they do another stand alone, and I’m primed for Infinity War now. The post credit scene really pleased me with setting up Bucky’s position leading into the next one.

Sympatic villian, A lite miss guided but still he was no "bad ,bad guy" He had the right for the throne, did not lie or cheat to get it. I Had hard time to imagining that the 1992 version of Forest Whitaker was the 2018 version of Forest Whitaker. They could have done a digital de-aging of him like the did RDJ or Michael Douglas instead of using another actor.

I thought it was fantastic. My only complaint is that every Marvel villain is basically an a bad guy version of the hero. Examples, Iron Monger, Winter Soldier, Yellow Jacket, Kaecilius etc. But that is a stretch to find something I didn’t like.

Been thinking about since yesterday and its pretty much a rehashed Iron man 2 story... Long time ago the good guy's dad did something bad to bad guys dad, The bad boy wants revenge on the good guy's son instead because the Father is dead , so the Bad guy scams his way in to get the same powers as the Good guy and fights it out to the death.

I liked it, there was something distracting about the old kings eye though, was it glass? Sucks that you would still a glass eye in heaven. Didn't think they would kill Claw.

Sent from my BLU LIFE MARK using Tapatalk

OK, funny. The movie actually just came out. I didn't know that. (been on vacation) I saw the great reviews here and 98% rotten tomato score so I looked at the box office results and kept scrolling and scrolling. Nothing!!!
I thought, really? It's marvel, they could charge us $10 bucks, kick us in the nuts and we would still see it again and buy the dvd of us getting kicked in the nuts;)

I loved it. The action scenes were great and kept me on the edge of my seat, T'Challa, Nakia, Okoye, Shuri, and Killmonger were all great! The only problems I had with it was the decision to kill Klaue (he was a really fun character and I would have loved to have seen him as a recurring villain in the next films), and how the final fight between T'Challa and Killmonger ended. Thought that stab in the chest was a pretty underwhelming way to end the fight. I was also expecting a Cap and Bucky cameo during the actual film to show how they arrived in Wakanda, but I'll settle for the Bucky post credits scene which was great too :lol

I liked it, there was something distracting about the old kings eye though, was it glass? Sucks that you would still a glass eye in heaven. Didn't think they would kill Claw.

Sent from my BLU LIFE MARK using Tapatalk

Think the actor might have had a stroke or something, He does have the same thing during the last captain movie we saw him in , but then he wore glasses that obscured it. But as you say it was distracting..

How was the CGI? It seems like each marvel movie tgat comes out relies on CGI a little more than the last. Some parts in the last few movies have started to look Bay-formersesque and it's been a big turn off for me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I liked it!

I liked it, there was something distracting about the old kings eye though, was it glass?
Dunno, but it ties in well to him being related to Forest Whitaker! EDIT: oh, wait, they weren't related.

How was the CGI?

It was very good, except for a couple of action shots where the characters were all-CGI--in their animation, that is, rather than any flaw in photo-realism. The same lack of follow-through of momentum in their movements that has cropped up in all the Marvel movies.

So our guy was the king's son. The usurper was the king's nephew. How does that in any way make him the true heir?

What did the UN guy say in the mid-credits sequence? Couldn't understand him.

He said what does a nation of farmers and weavers have to offer the world?

Or something like that.

Both the kings sons, had sons of their own, that seems to be enough, especially when he appeared to be stronger.

Just got back from seeing it. Absolutely loved it. Saw it with very enthusiastic crowd that made it even more enjoyable. Perfect mix of action, drama, and humor for me. Really felt they just nailed it on all aspects. Loved the "What are those?" meme reference. That fits perfectly with someone Shuri's age. Can't wait to see this again and again.

My only gripe is one that I've had since... Well, Batman'89, really. One-and-done villains. Killing the bad guy is such a cheap out, and one I have always found unfulfilling. I mean, yes, some individuals are just... broken... and there's nothing to be done except put them down like a rabid animal. But Joker back then, Zod in MoS, Ivan in IM2, and now both Klaue and Eric in this one...? Those were people who were doing, basically, the wrong things for the right reasons. Except Klaue, but he's just fun and needed to be around a bit longer.

It's one thing I loved about Spider-Man. Vulture didn't die at the end. The guy who was doing the wrong things for the right reasons has a shot at redemption. I've said it before elsewhere, and I'll say it again here: One of my favorite quotes is from Abraham Lincoln, "The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend." I wanted that last scene with Killmonger to go:

"There is a chance we can still heal you."
"So I can live in a cage? No thanks." (reaches for spearhead)
"No." (puts his hand over Eric's to stop him) "Your father made a mistake. My father made a mistake. We are not them. You have a just grievance. I just... disagree with how you presented it. (both chuckle wryly) "You don't have to be your past. You are a son of Wakanda, and Wakanda needs you. I need you. Come home to us, Prince N'Jadaka..."

Or like that. Cap believed in Bucky. Clint believed in Natasha. They've kept Loki around, and thank God for that. Where there's life, there's hope. Hell, I still firmly believe the armor deflected most of the blast of the exploding arc reactor away from Ivan and he's been being moved around behind the scenes by Fury and a few of his most trusted contacts, and will show up again one day.

On a completely different note, I really, really wanted Chris Evans to have a brief cameo in the coda or post-credits scene, called back because Bucky had been healed, as they (rare in Wakanda tradition) put Eric to rest with a funeral pyre. Steve and Bucky are standing a respectful distance back...

T'CHALLA
(in Wakandan)
Ignite it.

STEVE
(aside, to Bucky)
What did he say?

BUCKY
(aside, to Steve)
My Wakandan is still pretty shaky, but something like 'flame on'.

--Jonah

"There is a chance we can still heal you."
"So I can live in a cage? No thanks." (reaches for spearhead)
"No." (puts his hand over Eric's to stop him) "Your father made a mistake. My father made a mistake. We are not them. You have a just grievance. I just... disagree with how you presented it. (both chuckle wryly) "You don't have to be your past. You are a son of Wakanda, and Wakanda needs you. I need you. Come home to us, Prince N'Jadaka..."

I literally read this in my head with T'Challa's accent. This would have been great.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back