OK, a little teaser:

View attachment 795720

I'm guessing many of you remember this issue, and some may even still have it. I'd love to hear from you if you do...

I have that one and every Starlog from issue 2 through 200+. It was a great magazine until the 90s or so, then it just became fluffier and fluffier.

I also have every Cinefex up until perhaps 5 years ago. I lost interest when special effects went more digital.

I have that one and every Starlog from issue 2 through 200+. It was a great magazine until the 90s or so, then it just became fluffier and fluffier.

I also have every Cinefex up until perhaps 5 years ago. I lost interest when special effects went more digital.
Some cinefex articles from 1977 would be so cool to see here! I've got all the Starlogs (incl. #1!) up to some time in late 80s. I agree, at some point they became fluff. Today, that itch is scratched by the interwebs.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Now, I've always asserted that STAR WARS (1977) is my favorite of the franchise, not Empire. Why? Because it came out of nowhere...

That's always been my thing too. TESB may be a better film in terms of being more polished and expansive, but you can never recapture the essence of an introduction - characters, vehicles, lingo, all of it. ANH took all the risks and was born of pure passion.

I had Starlog from about issue 3 up to the mid nineties. By then it wasn't really a very good magazine anymore. I kept all of them with me for years. Finally around the early 2000s I decided I just didn't have space for them anymore and besides I rarely, if ever, went back and read any of them. So I went through them and decided to go just throw away everything except issues that contained Star Wars articles. Still got 20 or 30 of them in the closet with the rest of my Star Wars mags.

If memory serves, it is the only magazine I ever subscribed to.

Some cinefex articles from 1977 would be so cool to see here! I've got all the Starlogs (incl. #1!) up to some time in late 80s. I agree, at some point they became fluff. Today, that itch is scratched by the interwebs.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Cinefex didn't come out until 1980 - the first issue covered Star Trek : TMP and Alien. Later in '96 or '97, there was a retrospective on Star Wars. Otherwise, the first movie wasn't covered. I don't really want to put the spine of my Cinefex through the travails of scanning, but I can try to snap some pics of the pages of the retrospective article.

Yep, I still remember how cool those ships looked the first time I saw them. The designs were so completely unique.

Here's an interesting one from a guy who read the SW novelization shortly before the film came out who talks about what he hopes the film might achieve. He was both skeptical and hopeful! (Cinefantastique, vol. 5, #4):

View attachment 795778

Thanks for posting this . Hadn’t read this article before but it was very nostalgic .
I’ve still got copies ( pretty worn ) of both the ‘ red ‘ coloured children’s , and the ‘ white ‘ adult versions of these novels by GL , ( actually all OT and Splinter of the Miinds Eye novel ) purchased a long , long time ago ...
The author made some really valid points concerning both GL and how he viewed his story itself . However , the most striking observations to me , were those made about how we ‘ fans ‘ would still be ‘ inspired ‘ by it all to this very day - after all these years .

:cheers

Another night, another set of Starlog scans. As promised, this is the big STAR WARS issue - number seven. It's late though, and there's simply too much here, so I'll save the second half for tomorrow. BTW, did y'all notice the pink TIE lasers on the cover I gave you yesterday?
img110.jpgimg111.jpgimg112.jpgimg113.jpgimg114.jpgimg115.jpg

img110.jpg

img111.jpg

img112.jpg

img113.jpg

img114.jpg

img115.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
great memories and yeah used to buy all these mags.kept some vintage starlog and cinefantastique issues,
but my most prized items are complete collection of cinefex up to a few years ago (which the best technical articles) and the rolling stone issues.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back