Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?!

No sir! He could tuck up into the front of the conning tower and be 10 feet above the waves and protected from the wind!

This is what I've never understood about this submarine controversy. People tend to think "not submerged" means just the periscope sticking up above water. If the sub never submerged this whole "lashing himself to the periscope" argument is pointless. If it never submerged Indy could have easily survived on the conning tower for hours, even a few days probably.

It's sort of a matter of suspension of disbelief, though, isn't it?
I mean, I totally buy the box full of face-melting ghosts. Maybe that could happen. I don't know.
But a 400 mile ride hanging on to the outside of a submarine? I don't think that could happen.

I still enjoy the hell out of Raiders, though. It's still one of the best movies ever made.

See, to me, if you can buy the face melt/ghost stuff, you shouldn't even bat an eye at a guy hanging onto a submarine. A bit outlandish? Sure, but completely within the realm of possibility. But I understand what you're saying.

This is what I've never understood about this submarine controversy. People tend to think "not submerged" means just the periscope sticking up above water. If the sub never submerged this whole "lashing himself to the periscope" argument is pointless. If it never submerged Indy could have easily survived on the conning tower for hours, even a few days probably.

The "lashing" thing comes from the deleted footage, which has him literally sticking out of the water. It was ridiculous and probably why they cut it out. The movie really leaves it up to your imagination how he actually survived.

untitled.png

Agreed. That was probably why it was cut out.

Granted, if the distance of the journey was more than a day or so he would be severely dehydrated.

The whole fiasco could have been avoided if Spielberg had just used a boat. But wasn't that the sub that was used in Das Boot? Wasn't that the real reason they used it. He just wanted it?

Just out of curiosity...has anyone actually cruised the Mediterranean? Looks like the map starts a bit off the coast of greece. Does the water actually get cold enough to induce hypothermia in the med? Granted it's been a couple years since I considered taking a cruise there, but there weren't any 'pack your coats, it gets cold at night' type stuff.

Just out of curiosity...has anyone actually cruised the Mediterranean? Looks like the map starts a bit off the coast of greece. Does the water actually get cold enough to induce hypothermia in the med? Granted it's been a couple years since I considered taking a cruise there, but there weren't any 'pack your coats, it gets cold at night' type stuff.

You will die of hypothermia in water that’s 90 degrees. Water will make your body temp. the same as it.

From what I can see, based on time of year and location, the average temperature of the sea is anywhere between 55 and 83 degrees. Hypothermia can set in at about 65 degrees when submerged in water.

Since we we don't know the time of year, or the exact location, it's pretty easy to suggest that hypothermia wouldn't be an issue. People have survived much longer times lost at sea than the 25-30 hours he would have been on the boat.

Like you, I've never really seen much suggesting I should bring winter gear when planning a trip to the Mediterranean.

Here's the route the sub took after Indy boarded (as far as I can gather from the sketchy map shown in the film):

View attachment 795468

According to the key at the bottom right, the sub travelled about 200 miles.
If the average cruise speed of a diesel sub is 20 knots (about 23mph) then it took the sub 8.5 to 9 hours to reach it's destination.

EDIT: Nope. I was wrong. Had another look at the film. This is the route:

View attachment 795470

It's closer to 400 to 450 miles. Around 20 hours travel time.

The Mediterranean actually ups Indy's odds for survival. The Mediterranean climate is generally warm and even in the winter is warm enough that it rains instead of snowing. The Mediterranean sea around Greece is about 60-75 Fahrenheit depending on time of year. Not really all that cold. Indy was getting warmer the closer he got to Greece.

And just for perspective people have been recorded as surviving being adrift for periods of time that far exceed 20 hours. Days, weeks, even over a year in some rare cases.

It's sort of a matter of suspension of disbelief, though, isn't it?
I mean, I totally buy the box full of face-melting ghosts. Maybe that could happen. I don't know.
But a 400 mile ride hanging on to the outside of a submarine? I don't think that could happen.

I still enjoy the hell out of Raiders, though. It's still one of the best movies ever made.

Right, it's easy enough to forgive some faulty movie logic if you're caught up in the story. The only thing I remember being bothered by in 1981 was the light-activated spear trap in the opening sequence, like the one that gets Satipo. For some reason I got hung up on the mechanics of how that would work. But I also loved it so much that I didn't really care.

Again.... people question could Indy hang on to a boat through some cold weather, yet they dismiss his other antics in films as acceptable "movie magic". Riding in a mine car in TOD and jumping huge gaps in the track and landing back on tracks at full speed while riding it like a roller coaster.... using an inflatable raft as a parachute and landing perfectly so he could then use it as a sled... Totally believable! But hold on! Indy could hang on a boat? In the cold? And survive? No way... I DO NOT BUY IT! :lol

The Mediterranean actually ups Indy's odds for survival. The Mediterranean climate is generally warm and even in the winter is warm enough that it rains instead of snowing. The Mediterranean sea around Greece is about 60-75 Fahrenheit depending on time of year. Not really all that cold. Indy was getting warmer the closer he got to Greece.

And just for perspective people have been recorded as surviving being adrift for periods of time that far exceed 20 hours. Days, weeks, even over a year in some rare cases.

I honestly never really thought about Indy's sub ride until this conversation started.
It sounded like a fun convo, so I jumped on board.

Er, I mean... I hung on for dear life while a submarine dragged me through the water at 14-16 knots a distance of 400-450 miles through water with an average temperature of 65 degrees, losing strength by the hour and praying I didn't get hypothermia. :)

Again.... people question could Indy hang on to a boat through some cold weather, yet they dismiss his other antics in films as acceptable "movie magic". Riding in a mine car in TOD and jumping huge gaps in the track and landing back on tracks at full speed while riding it like a roller coaster.... using an inflatable raft as a parachute and landing perfectly so he could then use it as a sled... Totally believable! But hold on! Indy could hang on a boat? In the cold? And survive? No way... I DO NOT BUY IT! :lol
I don't think anyone "accepts" any of these things. You are talking about the early '80s - before the internet and before the art of bashing every aspect of a movie. Plus, most of us in this forum were most likely teenagers or young adults and more accepting of things in a movie - especially one that you enjoyed overall.

I can think back to all of these moments that happened in the Indy films and remember thinking "no way that could happen!" and then you move on. Nowadays, people would hop onto Twitter or Reddit to create a post about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=345uegSj-zQ

I don’t understand why no one has ever complained about tony stark smashing his first Ironman suit into the dessert in a jet propelled crash with no injury.

for some they use the term “nuking the fridge”... I use “crashing the mark 1”

I honestly never really thought about Indy's sub ride until this conversation started.
It sounded like a fun convo, so I jumped on board.

Er, I mean... I hung on for dear life while a submarine dragged me through the water at 14-16 knots a distance of 400-450 miles through water with an average temperature of 65 degrees, losing strength by the hour and praying I didn't get hypothermia. :)

Me neither, but when thought about it works out fine. Far better than the raft or the fridge at any rate.

On-screen the ship was surfaced the whole time on screen. Indy's only submersion in water was swimming to the ship and presumably from the ship to the dock. Cut scenes are cut for a reason.

Ok I know all about U-Boats, but this is still questionable.

I have to applaud the RPF again for taking a thread I figured may have a few answers on page 1 and turning it into a discussion of route, water temperature, etc. :lol

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back