Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?!

Here's the route the sub took after Indy boarded (as far as I can gather from the sketchy map shown in the film):

IndySubRide.jpg

According to the key at the bottom right, the sub travelled about 200 miles.
If the average cruise speed of a diesel sub is 20 knots (about 23mph) then it took the sub 8.5 to 9 hours to reach it's destination.

EDIT: Nope. I was wrong. Had another look at the film. This is the route:

IndyMap2.jpg

It's closer to 400 to 450 miles. Around 20 hours travel time.

Last edited:
:lol C'mon Man he would have gotten wet just from the spray or mist and or the constant pounding of the waves :lol

Only if he got wet which based on what is in the film he doesn’t. They are above water at the start of the sequence and when they approach the island. It might have been a few hours for all we know. It’s certainly not a plot hole.

:lol C'mon Man he would have gotten wet just from the spray or mist and or the constant pounding of the waves :lol

No sir! He could tuck up into the front of the conning tower and be 10 feet above the waves and protected from the wind!

Attachments

• FE5C85A1-7D46-4FE3-8356-AC1CC5687D51.jpeg
    FE5C85A1-7D46-4FE3-8356-AC1CC5687D51.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 180
You have never been out to sea have you? :lol

The tower is underwater as you can clearly see in the photos :D

No sir! He could tuck up into the front of the conning tower and be 10 feet above the waves and protected from the wind!

- - - Updated - - -

I heard he was wearing his rubbers as well ;)

I have it on good authority that Indy was carrying a hat-umbrella in his back pocket BEFORE he boarded the sub.

View attachment 795475

Only if he got wet which based on what is in the film he doesn’t. They are above water at the start of the sequence and when they approach the island. It might have been a few hours for all we know. It’s certainly not a plot hole.

He is seen climbing out of the water onto the sub, he is wet. I guess he could dry out over 20 hours though. I can buy into the not submerging for speed theory though.
Either way its awesome.

The fact that the Ark was put onto a submarine rather than a surface ship . . . it implies to the audience that there will be some submerging going on.

Because the ship that Indy & Marion were on was intercepted by a U-boat?

I love that photo of Indy on the periscope, he looks like he REALLY regrets this decision.

Again In the scene that was cut he was in the water ;)

He is seen climbing out of the water onto the sub, he is wet. I guess he could dry out over 20 hours though. I can buy into the not submerging for speed theory though.
Either way its awesome.

Here's the route the sub took after Indy boarded (as far as I can gather from the sketchy map shown in the film):

View attachment 795468

According to the key at the bottom right, the sub travelled about 200 miles.
If the average cruise speed of a diesel sub is 20 knots (about 23mph) then it took the sub 8.5 to 9 hours to reach it's destination.

EDIT: Nope. I was wrong. Had another look at the film. This is the route:

View attachment 795470

It's closer to 400 to 450 miles. Around 20 hours travel time.

20 knots surfaced is generous, a U-boat could do maybe 14 - 16 knots surfaced, at best, maybe 18 for later models. But all this means is that it would have taken them longer to get from point A to point B is all.

20 knots surfaced is generous, a U-boat could do maybe 14 - 16 knots surfaced, at best, maybe 18 for later models. But all this means is that it would have taken them longer to get from point A to point B is all.

More time for Indy to get hypothermic and die. :D

Most of his trip would have been at night, and he would have been half-submerged in water.
Ernie Pyle, a US war correspondent in WWII who was in the North Africa campaign, said it got so cold at night that when they woke in the mornings their canteens were frozen solid.
Of course that was the winter time - I don't know what time of year Indy's adventure took place in.

The comic-book adaptation (as others have stated) showed Indy tied to the periscope, basically passed-out from exhaustion for this journey. What has always bugged me was - how did he detach from the periscope, swim up to shore and get in the sub-hangar BEFORE the actual sub did?

Funny (to me) that this is what bugs me versus him surviving the 400 mile journey to the island.

I'm pretty sure the movie shows him climbing up the side of the U-Boat, soaking wet, as it pulls away; being that he swam the relatively short distance between the two boats.

Alos, he's even soaking wet in the picture you posted as proof he could do it without getting wet :p

I'm pretty sure the movie shows him climbing up the side of the U-Boat, soaking wet, as it pulls away; being that he swam the relatively short distance between the two boats.

Alos, he's even soaking wet in the picture you posted as proof he could do it without getting wet :p

He would be dry with in an hour sitting under that sun!

This is a situation where the fans are putting way more thought into something than the filmmakers did. You can tear these movies apart with just a little bit of scrutiny.

It's sort of a matter of suspension of disbelief, though, isn't it?
I mean, I totally buy the box full of face-melting ghosts. Maybe that could happen. I don't know.
But a 400 mile ride hanging on to the outside of a submarine? I don't think that could happen.

I still enjoy the hell out of Raiders, though. It's still one of the best movies ever made.

It's sort of a matter of suspension of disbelief, though, isn't it?
I mean, I totally buy the box full of face-melting ghosts. Maybe that could happen. I don't know.
But a 400 mile ride hanging on to the outside of a submarine? I don't think that could happen.

I still enjoy the hell out of Raiders, though. It's still one of the best movies ever made.

I can swim 2.4 Miles, get on a bike and ride 112 Miles, get off and run 26.2 Miles in under 10 hours and survive, he can sit his butt on a conning tower for a day or two. :)

In the wipe/ transition from the travel to the hangar you can see the model of Indy lashed to the periscope IN the film. There's also a pic of Indy and the sun in the "making of book".

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back