Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. But You Can Call Me Rich RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 3:29 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #51

Again.... people question could Indy hang on to a boat through some cold weather, yet they dismiss his other antics in films as acceptable "movie magic". Riding in a mine car in TOD and jumping huge gaps in the track and landing back on tracks at full speed while riding it like a roller coaster.... using an inflatable raft as a parachute and landing perfectly so he could then use it as a sled... Totally believable! But hold on! Indy could hang on a boat? In the cold? And survive? No way... I DO NOT BUY IT!
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 3:43 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #52

Because when the writing and filmmaking is is good, plot holes can be easily overlooked and forgiven. When the writing sucks out loud, plot holes and dumb things stick out a lot more. In Raider of the Lost, Ark your enjoying the ride too much to worry about stuff like that.
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 3:51 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #53

MrSouthpaw said: View Post
    The Mediterranean actually ups Indy's odds for survival. The Mediterranean climate is generally warm and even in the winter is warm enough that it rains instead of snowing. The Mediterranean sea around Greece is about 60-75 Fahrenheit depending on time of year. Not really all that cold. Indy was getting warmer the closer he got to Greece.

And just for perspective people have been recorded as surviving being adrift for periods of time that far exceed 20 hours. Days, weeks, even over a year in some rare cases.
    I honestly never really thought about Indy's sub ride until this conversation started.
    It sounded like a fun convo, so I jumped on board.

Er, I mean... I hung on for dear life while a submarine dragged me through the water at 14-16 knots a distance of 400-450 miles through water with an average temperature of 65 degrees, losing strength by the hour and praying I didn't get hypothermia.
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 3:59 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #54

Moviefreak said: View Post
    Again.... people question could Indy hang on to a boat through some cold weather, yet they dismiss his other antics in films as acceptable "movie magic". Riding in a mine car in TOD and jumping huge gaps in the track and landing back on tracks at full speed while riding it like a roller coaster.... using an inflatable raft as a parachute and landing perfectly so he could then use it as a sled... Totally believable! But hold on! Indy could hang on a boat? In the cold? And survive? No way... I DO NOT BUY IT!
    I don't think anyone "accepts" any of these things. You are talking about the early '80s - before the internet and before the art of bashing every aspect of a movie. Plus, most of us in this forum were most likely teenagers or young adults and more accepting of things in a movie - especially one that you enjoyed overall.

I can think back to all of these moments that happened in the Indy films and remember thinking "no way that could happen!" and then you move on. Nowadays, people would hop onto Twitter or Reddit to create a post about it.
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 4:02 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=345uegSj-zQ
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 4:04 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #56

I don’t understand why no one has ever complained about tony stark smashing his first Ironman suit into the dessert in a jet propelled crash with no injury.

for some they use the term “nuking the fridge”... I use “crashing the mark 1”
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2014
    From
    WA state
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 4:06 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #57

Axlotl said: View Post
    I honestly never really thought about Indy's sub ride until this conversation started.
    It sounded like a fun convo, so I jumped on board.

Er, I mean... I hung on for dear life while a submarine dragged me through the water at 14-16 knots a distance of 400-450 miles through water with an average temperature of 65 degrees, losing strength by the hour and praying I didn't get hypothermia.
    Me neither, but when thought about it works out fine. Far better than the raft or the fridge at any rate.

On-screen the ship was surfaced the whole time on screen. Indy's only submersion in water was swimming to the ship and presumably from the ship to the dock. Cut scenes are cut for a reason.
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 4:26 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #58

It is easy to understand...if only you spoke Hovitos.
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 8:53 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #59

Ok I know all about U-Boats, but this is still questionable.

I have to applaud the RPF again for taking a thread I figured may have a few answers on page 1 and turning it into a discussion of route, water temperature, etc.
  10. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 9:13 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #60

Pretty much sums up the whole issue.
    From
    Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 9:44 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #61

I have information that will turn this whole debate on its ear.... That wasn't a periscope he was hanging onto, it was a snorkel.

TazMan2000
    Last edited by TazMan2000; 1 Week Ago at 9:50 PM.
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 9:46 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #62

TazMan2000 said: View Post
    I have information that will turn this who debate on its ear.... That wasn't a periscope he was hanging onto, the it was a snorkel.

TazMan2000
    That changes everything!
  13. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 10:07 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #63

Since we are nitpicking, I thought I would add a few more.

Why would hundreds of snakes be living in a chamber underground? Especially non-Egyptian snakes.

Why would Indy be threatening to blow up the ark with a Soviet style RPG that wouldn't be invented until after WW2?

Why would there even be German troops in Egypt before the war? Egypt was controlled by the British who had troops stationed there. They most certainly wouldn't let German troops parade around and dig stuff up.

Many of the germans in the movie are carrying MP38/40 submachine guns which wouldn't be adopted for use until 1938. Movie takes place in 1936.

Flying wing isn't real.

You can see the spiders on Indy's back before he walks through the webs.

Indy has an amazing whip which he can attach securely enough to swing with but it comes loose readily when he tugs on it.

There are others, but I am tired of typing.
  14. Keepin' it real since '00 RPF Premium Member Funky's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 10:15 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #64

Yeah, the whole jumping from a plane and landing on a rubber raft always had me going
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 10:18 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #65

Funky said: View Post
    Yeah, the whole jumping from a plane and landing on a rubber raft always had me going
    Then the airplane, completely devoid of fuel and oil, explodes in a giant fireball.
  16. Lord of the Couch RPF Premium Member dbuck's Avatar
    From
    california
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 10:44 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #66

What everyone keeps forgetting about submarines running on the surface is that there are always lookouts. The moment that sub started moving it would have at a minimum several people on deck looking for airplanes, the biggest danger to a surfaced submarine.
    Indy would have been spotted in less than five minutes. Actually, the fact that no one was on deck when Indy swam over was wrong.
    It would only run submerged in inclement weather or, as mentioned, when on the attack. Periscopes are only raised occasionally, never for an entire submerged run.
    Now if had been a surface boat and he'd hidden on board somewhere......
    But they borrowed the sub from Das Boot, so we get Indy tied to a periscope.
  17. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 11:41 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #67

All of those are the "yeah right" moments in those films

18. RPF Premium Member CessnaDriver's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 11:48 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #68

Because Raiders is the greatest action adventure film ever made and probably ever will be made.

He gets a pass.
  19. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    1 Week Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 11:55 PM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #69

The swim and the Cycling I'm with you the running part is ALL you!

Bryancd said: View Post
    I can swim 2.4 Miles, get on a bike and ride 112 Miles, get off and run 26.2 Miles in under 10 hours and survive, he can sit his butt on a conning tower for a day or two.
  20. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Feb 14, 2018, 12:03 AM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #70

Behold--the most valid observation in this entire thread that should be the final word on the subject.

Couldn't agree more!

CessnaDriver said: View Post
    Because Raiders is the greatest action adventure film ever made and probably ever will be made.

He gets a pass.
    From
    yuma AZ
    1 Week Ago  Feb 14, 2018, 2:28 AM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #71

Because you were 8 and now your 40 !
    1 Week Ago  Feb 14, 2018, 8:43 AM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #72

Stop. Just Stop It!

Yes, The flying wing was fake but at least it was actually built as a practical prop.
    Yes, the Germans had machines guns not yet developed.
    Yes, Indy had a panzerfaust, again not yet developed.
    Yes, the sub may have had a snuiver, but still to early to be on a German sub and not on a Type 7.

Stop stomping all over Raiders before someone brings up the fact that Indy didn't do anything of worth to advance his own cause.
    Yes, he actually recovered the idol for Belloq and never got it back.
    Yes, the Nazis still got the ark and may have taken directly to Hitler thus WW2 never happens.
    No, the University never got to study the ark.

Raiders is a great movie so too was Tom Selleck's High Road to China.
    Another movie with equipment that didn't exist at the time the movie was set and airplanes that flew forever until the plot required other them not to.

Why don't we have a thread dirtying all over "The Final Countdown"... one of the finest showcases of Naval Aviation and much better than "Top Gun".

Raiders is, was, and will be a fun B grade, afternoon popcorn flick just with a big budget.

And no one has brought up the fact that Indy carries a Browning Hi-power autoloader as a backup to a revolver.
    1 Week Ago  Feb 14, 2018, 8:47 AM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #73

Fly4v said: View Post
    Ho kama ma vutu - Hovata!
    1 Week Ago  Feb 14, 2018, 8:53 AM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #74

tcsmit29 said: View Post
    Since we are nitpicking, I thought I would add a few more.

Why would hundreds of snakes be living in a chamber underground? Especially non-Egyptian snakes.

Why would Indy be threatening to blow up the ark with a Soviet style RPG that wouldn't be invented until after WW2?

Why would there even be German troops in Egypt before the war? Egypt was controlled by the British who had troops stationed there. They most certainly wouldn't let German troops parade around and dig stuff up.

Many of the germans in the movie are carrying MP38/40 submachine guns which wouldn't be adopted for use until 1938. Movie takes place in 1936.

Flying wing isn't real.

You can see the spiders on Indy's back before he walks through the webs.

Indy has an amazing whip which he can attach securely enough to swing with but it comes loose readily when he tugs on it.

There are others, but I am tired of typing.
    You forgot the BIGGEST GAFF of the whole movie - Indy's staff was too long!

The wise man said it was 6 kadam height ("about 72 inches") and take back one kadam to honor the Hebrew God who's Ark this is. This would put the staff at 5 FEET, yet in the Well of the Souls, the staff is clearly TALLER than Indy (probably for effect). This would put it closer to 7 feet - nowhere near the 5 feet it was supposed to be.

Thus, Indy was digging in the wrong place, what he and Sallah brought up was NOT the Ark, and the real Ark is still sitting buried in the desert just outside of Cairo. Anyone want to come with me to go dig it up?
    From
    Long Beach, CA, US
    1 Week Ago  Feb 14, 2018, 10:17 AM - Re: Indiana Jones - why don't you have a problem with this?! #75

annanake said: View Post
    Because you were 8 and now your 40 !
    Actually if you were 8 when Raiders came out in 1981, now you'd be 44 or 45.