Ripley's Believe it or Not Original Luke Lightsaber Display

TylerDansby

Hey everyone! I'm brand new to the forum so if this is in the wrong place I apologize. Also, I tried looking to see if this had already been posted and couldn't find anything, so if it has, again I apologize.

Anyway, I'm just a bit confused at the moment. I came across a video showing a new exhibit at Ripley's Believe it or Not in Hollywood which showcases what is supposedly one of the original lightsaber props used in the Empire Strikes Back. Only thing is that it looks nothing like it from what we know about the ESB screen used lightsaber props. Really, it looks like a Force Awakens Graflex. It does have the six notched grips, it doesn't have the chrome mylar tape around the clamp, it isn't missing the beer tab, and it doesn't have the second red button (it has a glass eye instead).

Here are some images of the saber on display:

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 2.24.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 2.17.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 2.18.39 AM.png

I realize there were multiples of the same props in the OT, but they claim that this was used in the Hoth Wampa cave scene: "Suzanna Smagala-Potts, a spokesperson for Ripley's, said the prop was first used in the 'Empire' installment during a scene where Mark Hamill's Luke makes an escape after partially dismembering a hungry Wampa ice monster".

So, did they somehow get this wrong? Or am I missing something? I know others have done pretty extensive research of these original props, and I'm just curious if their claim is correct.

If my memory serves, wasn't it the one that sold last year from Profiles in History? It used to be part of Gary Kurtz collection. Sold for about $450K + fees I think.

EDIT -

Yes it appears to be the one I was thinking of. There's a little more info in the catalogue, but it certainly doesn't mention a specific scene.Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 16.28.37.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-12 at 16.27.44.png

Last edited:
Ah ok, thanks for the info! That's really interesting. So the tape covering the Graflex logo has just been removed. As for the glass eye and beer tab... still a little weird that those are there but maybe something similar happened with those pieces over time.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back