Sealing a Paper Master For Molding?

Very well made and something out of the ordinary for sure:cool As one member had said before: if one day you're thinking about doing the Origami Unicorn, in metal or powdered mold, you'll have quite a few emails asking you to do a run;)

Ill give the blade runner unicorn a serious think now that i am in the market for a new project. Perhaps i wrote it off too quickly. Mick is actually a friend of a friend (the origami community is not that large) and most of us would tend not tread on other peoples stuff, but maybe if Mick was into it i would be into it. May be worth dropping a note

So i just finished my most recent effort and am hoping to learn from some of the mistakes. I would be interested if anyone has a thought on a better mold design for this particular object. It worked well enough, but it definitely is not vented properly and the points on the paws and mouth are very prone to trap air. So i dont have a 100% success rate and each pull requires some patching of air bubbles. As with the previous cold cast origami, the magic sculpt to seal the model and make it water tight is working great along with some super glue.

This year is the year of the dog in the Chinese zodiac so i really wanted to get this one done this year, so i just went with the best idea i had and opted for a brush on mold seamed up the back. The feet are open as pour holes, but there are no other air vents. With a medium fast resin and some rotational casting is does OK, but i am thinking there are some smart folks who will immediately see a better answer.

So, what style of mold would you use, and how would you vent it?

40691525430_be9cfd87dd.jpg
2018-06-01_02-27-57

Interesting turn of events, some folks approached me to fold blade runner unicorns for an official screening. Because some had mentioned them here i thought i would share the final packaging i came up with to dress them up a bit. I swore i would never do these, but there are some folks you just cant say no to. Thanks to a lot of work folks have done around here and elsewhere i think these are as close to 1:1 studio scale as i can get and are a very tight match for the paper i think they would have been using at the time.

Any new yorkers here perhaps i will see you at the screening.

blade runner prop replicant.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back