BR2049: K's Gun with Screen Function IT WORKS!!! APR 20th

Re: BR2049: K's Gun with Screen Accurate Functionality

.....as you can see a small button-head hex screw in the back of the trigger guard in the working prop Mr. Savage handled in the Tested video:

I think the trigger guard is screwed onto the grip from the top, and then the grip and trigger guard are removable from the receiver and barrel shroud to replace or recharge the battery by removing that screw. Presumably there is a hollow tube that runs down from the receiver into the grip/trigger guard assembly that carries the wiring and ....

Yes, exactly! That's how I've got it set up, and why I have the octagonal "block" going up into the trigger guard. (I haven't "drilled" the screw holes in the model yet because I always do those things last, when all the parts are matched up.) I don't think it's a buttonhead screw though, because it sits flush with the back of the trigger guard. It's either a grub screw or a countersunk cylinder head (allen fitting), probably M3 size (just by eyeballing it).

I'm getting close to having a finished model, just some detailing and the mind-section left to do, so I've done a bit of testing today on how to cut up the model for printing. I want to have as few visible seam lines as possible, so that it can be painted in pieces and then assembled with minimal filling/sanding of seams. However, the way this thing is set up means I'm having to come up with some crazy ways of splitting it down into parts. Test-printing some right now to see if they'll work. (A large part of it is that I want to print the barrel mesh-grilles separate, like the screen used prop... but doing that makes the barrel "body" a LOT harder to print because of overhangs.) More photos soon, 'cause I know blocks of text are boring...

Re: BR2049: K's Gun with Screen Function (PHOTOS March 26!)

I've been testing quite a bit the last few days along with working on the internal setup for the trigger, wiring and so on. Here are some photos of test prints...

Current render of the model status (still tweaking/adding details):
K_wip5.jpg

Just testing the feel of how the parts will fit. The trigger guard was printed in one piece, which was not easy due to the shape. (Took about half a day.) The grip slotted tightly into the tguard.
View attachment 805381

I've done various recent tests on how to print the hollow barrel. The ridges create 90 degree undercuts that are very difficult to get around with a FDM (filament) printer, so I had to experiment with creating different types of support. After failing a few times, printing in halves and whatnot, I finally settled on settings that gave three "layers" (see the insert) that when pressed, "snap" the supports from the barrel, making them easy to pry off cleanly with a flat sculpting tool or screwdriver. (I admit to being a bit proud of that one.)
View attachment 805382

Test print of the top rail.
View attachment 805385

Test-fitting a grille plate and the rail. Looking good so far.
View attachment 805386

All that hard work is paying off. Looking great, man

Looking so good. Glad to wait for such quality.

Small update as I'm working on the mechanicals and internal hollows for the electronics. This is one of those times when 3d printing really helps. The receiver will be most likely be printed in two parts (inner/outer). Below is a render of the inner part split in half. Right now I'm leaving room to install either a push-button on-off switch OR an sliding on-off switch, to be accessed in the same way that the screen prop was.

triggersetup.jpg

Been experimenting throughout the Easter weekend. I have the trigger mechanism working nicely- it feels very "stable", not too fragile with tight tolerance and has a nice pull.

Note: this is a rough print just to test fit and functionality (most of the parts are not glued together, just held in place):

I've also done a bit of size testing and decided to make it slightly smaller (a difference of about 1mm in barrel diameter), which meant I had to redo the entire interior, to make sure the electronics will fit.

Test printing some of the final parts now to check optimum print orientation (I often model my own support structures to have full control), then I'll be ready to do a final, full print of all the parts in high quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

And I’ll be ready to purchase a finished model :)
I will in all likelihood not be doing any finished copies but there's an interest thread in the junkyard for a limited run of kits. I would have to charge more than most are willing to pay for commissions due to my lack of time to do them. (I mean, this gun was supposed to have been finished aaaaaages ago!) I usually refer folks to other RPF members like Generalfrosty when they need finished builds.

On the home stretch with the kit now, just printing a full set to make sure it all works. So far, so good.

Some of the test parts I've been doing. Final version is on the top right. There's quite a bit of difference in grip sizes- a couple of them are just HUGE.
image2.jpeg

The solenoid fits nice and snug, and will line up exactly with the slide/hammer. This made me real happy. Still hoping the plunger movement will give a slight feeling of recoil. In the past, I haven't really though a whole lot about making kits "build friendly" since I do stuff mainly for myself, but this time I'm trying to do it a bit different. (Guess that's why it's taken four months to get this far...)
image1.jpeg

Testing fit of the trigger switch.
image3.png

Going to test the outer receiver with serial number next. (I might end up having to outsource serial plates if they get messy. It's borderline detail-wize what an FDM machine can do, even with a small nozzle. I'm looking at getting a resin machine for details like that in the future.) More soon...

Last edited:

Successful test of printing the engraving on the slide/hammer. The serial number on the receiver (not pictured) needs some tweaking... need to do more tests on that.
Getting close to being able to assemble an entire pistol now...

text.jpg

Attachments

• text.jpg
    text.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 217
YEAH! WOHOO. The damn thing WORKS! Four freakin' months of "I'm almost certain this is gonna do what it's supposed to do when it all comes together..." and here it is:

DISCLAIMER: The whole thing is just TAPED together, so things are kinda crooked, haha. (And I didn't tape on all the outer parts.) I also didn't add the hidden on/off switch for this test because it wasn't needed for the test (I've tested that separately). But even so... functionality is smooth, even without any final trimming or fitting. The solenoid plunger only grips the slide/hammer with a piece of loose wire inside.. so the final assembly will be even more stable.

A couple things I might tweak before shipping out kits are testing a slightly smaller capacitor. The current one is nice, but I would like it to run out of power and release the slide a tad sooner. I will also probably include a higher rated resistor for the leds, because I kinda think they are too bright right now. (A bonus I didn't really count on was, the way I set up the wiring, you get the LED fade just like on Deckards PKD when you switch it off!)

A couple more still photos...

Showing some of the interior channels for the wiring to pass through. (My final copy will have thinner gauge wires.)
IMG_7606.JPG

Final parts of the blaster. (The receiver is loosely assembled and the halves glued together here... I'll show y'all a full breakdown render later.)
KKIT.jpg

The jumble of wires, pulled right out of the barrel. I didn't bother to tuck them in neatly for this test, and the gauge is much too thick.

kwires.jpg

I'm just so relieved right now that the design is confirmed to work. I mean, you do partial tests as you go... use what you know from past projects and so on... but until now, I couldn't be sure it would all work as intended.

More soon...!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back