my Darth Vader ESB costume.

Space In Vader

just wanted to share some pics of my finished costume. The rpf was such a nice help to get this thing done. Thank you all.
vader_esb_rebelscum.jpgthe_empire_strikes_back_vader_kid.jpg02_front.jpg09_front.jpgdarth_vader_empire_choke.jpg

Looks great...what parts do you use?

Very nice! Looks really good. Care to share any details on pieces?

First, I would like to thank you all for kind comments. I really appreciate it. They made my day. :)

The parts...basically there is a quite long list of parts. Then there are some bad parts that had to be exchanged and finally some parts were modified... it took about three years... ;-)
So to cut a long story short: helmet is a darth quasimodo v2 by bookface/ csmaclaren, matching armor by bookface/ csmaclaren, leathersuit, gloves and buckle by fenixprops, cape (customized opening, satin-lining and length done in addition) and robe (customized pleats and mesh at the back are done by me) by customprops, codpiece and belt by artisanprops, chestbox (custommade rods lathed from aluminum, double-lights and programming the world's-one-and-only-screenaccurate algorithm by me) and beltbox by darkside, shins by portumac, saberhilt (custommade emitter and weathering done by me) by MR, saberhook and hilt-wires by wannawanga, leatherboots by embossyboots.

The individual components of the costume are impressive enough, but your proportions in the costume are spot-on! How tall are you?

The individual components of the costume are impressive enough, but your proportions in the costume are spot-on! How tall are you?

Thank you so much. :) :) :)

Well, this is very good point. My height (6' 7" barefoot, about 6' 11" in costume) was accidentaly the initial point for my vader-costume-passion: there was the rumor that Mark Hamill would visit out tiny local film-festival (that rumor turned out to be wrong- a female robot-actor from 1982's bladerunner visited us...) and I had the idea to dress up as a vader holding a sign with "who's your daddy?" on it just to raise my chances to get an autograph from Luke...
So I bougth the notorious Rubie's Supreme-costume in the largest size available. Generally clothing and especially toys like costumes always are waaay too small for me... but this Rubie's fitted like a glove. So I was really confused why they make a costume/ toy this big? I did some research and saw that Dave Prowse was 6' 7"... so I went down the rabbit hole... deeper and deeper... so here I am now. A vader-expert and vader-performer.
Here's my little tribute to Mr. Prowse, MBE:
fitness_is_fun_do_it_1.jpg
(Dave Prowse's fitness book offers a lot of information and is a good inspiration for a workout. I had a lot of fun shooting this pic and adding the death-star-texture to the dumbbells... :) )

Last edited:
First, I would like to thank you all for kind comments. I really appreciate it. They made my day. :)

The parts...basically there is a quite long list of parts. Then there are some bad parts that had to be exchanged and finally some parts were modified... it took about three years... ;-)
So to cut a long story short: helmet is a darth quasimodo v2 by bookface/ csmaclaren, matching armor by bookface/ csmaclaren, leathersuit, gloves and buckle by fenixprops, cape (customized opening, satin-lining and length done in addition) and robe (customized pleats and mesh at the back are done by me) by customprops, codpiece and belt by artisanprops, chestbox (custommade rods lathed from aluminum, double-lights and programming the world's-one-and-only-screenaccurate algorithm by me) and beltbox by darkside, shins by portumac, saberhilt (custommade emitter and weathering done by me) by MR, saberhook and hilt-wires by wannawanga, leatherboots by embossyboots.

Thank you for such a detailed account of what you've chosen to construct this wonderful entity! Very much appreciate your time!

just made a side by side comparison because some random guy commented that my upper body looks too long to him:
esb_vaderbase_vs_prowse.jpg

I like how my costume's proportions match to the screencap. :)

btw:
had a great day at the botanika goes space scifi convention 2018 in bremen:
botanika_goes_space_scifi_con_01.jpg
botanika_goes_space_scifi_con_02.jpg

"Strong people don't put others down. They lift them up." Darth Vader, Philanthropist

Attachments

• esb_vaderbase_vs_prowse.jpg
    esb_vaderbase_vs_prowse.jpg
    941.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Amazing! Your pics and back story are inspiring me to take the leap and do something similar. I started down the armor path when Anovos launched the TK Stormtrooper, and I couldn't resist the very lower pre-order price way back then. However, like you, I am 6'7" and the TK is just not working out. I know there are taller troopers out there but it just looks off. So with that in mind I have been toying with the idea of taking on a Vader project instead. So this post is inspiring me to do it! Sorry wallet :(

Amazing! Your pics and back story are inspiring me to take the leap and do something similar. I started down the armor path when Anovos launched the TK Stormtrooper, and I couldn't resist the very lower pre-order price way back then. However, like you, I am 6'7" and the TK is just not working out. I know there are taller troopers out there but it just looks off. So with that in mind I have been toying with the idea of taking on a Vader project instead. So this post is inspiring me to do it! Sorry wallet :(
When reading your nice post, in my imagination I hear Vader saying "I have you now!". :)
Don't hesitate to visit the sithlorddetachment http://www.501stsithlords.com/ to make your journey to vader pleasant and interesting.

P.S.:
here's my video that shows all the parts that I gathered from all over the world:

Last edited by a moderator:
added an additional belt at the back of my head to reduce the protruding Rogue-One-look of my helmet:
first the standard hardhat-liner:

darth_vader_mugshot_Rogue_one_style_protruding.jpg

now with the additional belt:

darth_vader_mugshot_esb_additional_belt.jpg

darth_vader_mugshot_esb_front.jpg

(when looking with a frontal view there is almost no difference)

just made a short clip of me standing in the Rogue One hallway (esb in R1...). I am pretty happy about the nice look.
A funny clip is in process, so stay tuned... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back