Iron Man Mark 46 Foam Armor - help with back flaps

BruceKenobi

Hi guys!! I'm doing an Iron Man Mark 46 (Civil War) armor out of foam, to wear at the Infinity War premiere (may 4 here), but I've come across a hick-up: the back flaps! I wanted to incorporate motorized back flaps and 2 e-cigarette small smoke machines to have the full effect (yay!) but somehow I've no clue how to pull it off, and to make matters worse, I thought that the Mark 47 was just the Mark 46 with a different paint job, right? WRONG! I have two screen shots from the movie and the back flaps are not the same! this 2 are from civil war:
Captain America Civil War - Iron Man using back rockets airport against Falcon.jpgCaptain America Civil War - Iron Man using back rockets airport.jpg

And this 2 are from Spider-man Homecoming:
Spiderman - Homecoming Iron Man using back rockets on ferry.jpgSpiderman - Homecoming Iron Man using back rockets.jpg

As you can see, in Homecoming the flaps have the source of the "rocket thrust" coming from inside, and they have to open to "let the fire out", while the Mark 46 seems to have the fire at the lower border of the flap, has anyone else noticed this? do you know HOW to make the motorized flaps? the electronics involved? please help!!

Last edited:
The flaps should be simple enough with some servos and I don't think anyone is picky about accuracy if youre gonna have a dynamic effect. For tutorials on the smoke effect i would recommend Wayne's Workshop on youtube. Good luck!

The flaps should be simple enough with some servos and I don't think anyone is picky about accuracy if youre gonna have a dynamic effect. For tutorials on the smoke effect i would recommend Wayne's Workshop on youtube. Good luck!

Thank you! I have seen the smoke machine tutorials thank you, it's only the flaps section that escapes me, I know it uses servos, bot how to control them? what hinges should I use? what about the rods that the servos drive? all those questions and not a single tutorial....

Thank you! I have seen the smoke machine tutorials thank you, it's only the flaps section that escapes me, I know it uses servos, bot how to control them? what hinges should I use? what about the rods that the servos drive? all those questions and not a single tutorial....
It's the same principle as the motorizing the faceplate. You need a controller, servo/s batteries and a switch

FB: facebook.com/ironmarkprops1
IG: instagram.com/ironmarkprops

It's the same principle as the motorizing the faceplate. You need a controller, servo/s batteries and a switch

Hey! thanks! I figured there's got to be some similarities, but the servos: where do you place them? what rods do you use to connect them to the plates? does it have some special way?

Hey! thanks! I figured there's got to be some similarities, but the servos: where do you place them? what rods do you use to connect them to the plates? does it have some special way?
That you have to solve for yourself. Each build/suit is different. Look for the axis where the flap should move and place the hinges there

That you have to solve for yourself. Each build/suit is different. Look for the axis where the flap should move and place the hinges there

I see, the hinges should be plastic or metallic? what type? I'm really a noob in this

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back