Batteries not included- Wheems, Flotsam and Jetsam

AliceT

Hi, I am in my final year at university and I am going to be making the 3 baby robots from Batteries Not Included (the little guys in the photo). I have no idea where to start. Has anyone made these before? For the module they need to be as perfect as can be replicas. Any help would be much appreciated! Any reference material, knowledge or tips would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance :)
DP8BQuT.jpg

Hi, I am in my final year at university and I am going to be making the 3 baby robots from Batteries Not Included (the little guys in the photo). I have no idea where to start. Has anyone made these before? For the module they need to be as perfect as can be replicas. Any help would be much appreciated! Any reference material, knowledge or tips would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance :)
View attachment 794760

Either 3D model and print or make MDF bucks to vacuum form 1/2mm thick sheet styrene over and add details in styrene strip and sheet.
Remember to make allowances for the vacuum form sheet thickness in your buck, if you go down that route.

Either 3D model and print or make MDF bucks to vacuum form 1/2mm thick sheet styrene over and add details in styrene strip and sheet.
Remember to make allowances for the vacuum form sheet thickness in your buck, if you go down that route.
1/2mm styrene is going to be very thin once vacuum formed. Why would you use such a thin sheet? I would go thicker if it were me doing it. It will be easier to glue together thicker too. I guess if you are trying to get the details in the form you could use 1mm or 1.5mm. I just think .5mm is like paper.

If you want to go the vac form route I can vac form the parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1/2mm styrene is going to be very thin once vacuum formed. Why would you use such a thin sheet? I would go thicker if it were me doing it. It will be easier to glue together thicker too. I guess if you are trying to get the details in the form you could use 1mm or 1.5mm. I just think .5mm is like paper.

If you want to go the vac form route I can vac form the parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have been clearer I meant 1 or 2 mm thick sheet, I can see how it looks like it says half now. My mistake.

I may take you up on some vacuum forming.

image (1).jpegwheems.JPG

I started this project 3-4 years ago. I love this little guy. I've recently decided to get back into it. I'll update on the separate thread I created back then.

Just an update. I ended up only creating two of these guys because of the time frame we were given. The larger one is not perfect but I'm quite happy with the little guy (yes he is missing the text on him, i know :( just didn't have time to sort that out).
Thank you for the help and advice given. I did end up creating mdf bucks and vacuum forming them. 29693473_10214136666708656_1945860749_o.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back