Help me finish my Han Solo ANH Hero blaster! - Hensoldt claws are off!

Xhiwar

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi folks

A long time ago, I really wanted to have a Han Solo ANH hero blaster. I got quite a few parts, but this was before steel parts became really accessible.
So here I am with the following "ingredients" for my Kool-Aid:

- MGC C96
- Real Hensoldt-Wetzlar Dialyt scope
- Flash hider (I don't remember where I got it, I believe I got it about 10 years ago before it came out that a banned RPF member had his hands in the production somehow... I believe it's steel and coated, but I have no idea really. I'd be glad if someone could enlighten me.

So, now, I want to finish the blaster. I want it to be fairly accurate, but I also don't want to spend unlimited money. I've been holding out for the steel DEC parts, but they are expensive. But just now, I found that Todd's Costume also has steel parts. Now, my questions are:

- How accurate are these parts (scope mount, bull barrel, accessories)? I read that the Todd's parts are more accurate, but I read the exact opposite somewhere else.
- Does anyone sell wood grips for the MGC Mauser?
- Will I have to cut down the barrel? Do I have to drill through my MGC to attach the scope mount and other parts?
- How accurate is the flash hider I have? Should I get another one?
- My Dialyt seems to be pretty spot on, as far as I can tell. However, it seems to be missing the small screws just behind the wheel. Can I get spares somewhere?
- How do I remove the claws from the scope?

Sooo... Thanks in advance for any help! This is going to be a slow build, but I finally want an ANH hero blaster.

Cheers!
Roman

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, here are some pics of the parts I have:

MGC Mauser:
mdrbIpX.jpg

vr89ruK.jpg

3WRkdLh.jpg

It's quite weathered, but I think I might have to re-paint it, because it really looks old and "fake" in some places. Is it best to paint or blue it in some way? What's the MGV made of?
Also, note that the bolt is filed down in a 45° angle, probably to prevent it being used with PFC caps. Doesn't bother me though, the nice thing is that I can pull back the bolt and it will snap forward even though the mag is empty.

Dialyt:
FGEsLP3.jpg

OzSzFN6.jpg

Optics are very clear. I read somewhere that you have to remove the claws with a torch and that this may damage the optics. Is that true or is there a better way to remove those scope claws?

Flash hider:
IPy2NU8.jpg

All parts:
LCaKoHo.jpg

Cheers!
Roman

Last edited:
Re: Help me finish my Han Solo ANH Hero blaster!

I just got one of Todd's scope mounts from the newest batch, it is pretty accurate. I believe they changed some of the inaccuracies of previous batches, they are a bit rough on the finish though...over ground in a couple areas etc. Field Marshall will have a steel mount out soon you could wait for that, it looks to be very promising.

If you do decide to put wood grips on that MGC, I will buy the plastic grips from you. Shoot me a PM!

-david

This has the potential to be a seriously epic build.

Todd’s parts have changed over time. I’m waiting on a few sets of the new batch to complete a few builds for people - but the ones in the past have been great - although slightly inaccurate.

The one big hang up for me now is the bull barrel still doesn’t taper (at least on the last batch) and will be hard to fit into the MGC as it is threaded, not a sleeve.

You’ll probably want to Frankenstein the blaster a bit to get it to where you want it.

Looking forward to the build!

Wait a little more - Fieldmarshall is bringing out his scopemount soon. And knowing his passion for accuracy i have a gooood feeling about that.

I used replacement wooden grips for a real Mauser. Shape of the frame needed some work, i did it on my mill, but a set of good files should handle it equally good.

Heat to desolder the clamps can damage the scope innards, take it to a good gunsmith for deassembling, desoldering, reblueing, and reassembling. I had the luck to being able from several Hensoldts, so i didn´t had to take any risks. Used one like yours for display in a glass-cabinet, and one without clamps for my ANH-Blaster.

Last edited:

Well lets see. DEC makes wood grips that are nice but since it's an MGC you have the option to use vintage or replacement C-96 wood grips. Whatever you choose will probably need some fitting.

The flash hider looks spot on to me.

You will have to cut the barrel and drill it out if you want it to be hollow for a sound and light install and you will definitely need to drill and tap for the scope mount.

I would email Dave at DEC and see if he has any extra steel bull barrel sleeves. He sometimes has extra parts laying around he will sell. You won't want to use an aluminum or printed bull barrel with all those other nice parts.

I'd look into the Field Marshal mount. He makes top notch stuff.

I remember reading about what a pain it is getting those claws off but I don't remember the solution. Maybe PM Scottjua and see what he says.

If you are going for screen accuracy Todds grill and piston greeblies are correct.

Great parts you have there, man. :)

Hey thanks for allthe helpful input!
I contacted Field Marshall and had a look at his work, amazing!
Hm, about the wood grips, so it seems the real Mauser grips are too small, right? Makes me wonder whether Denix replacement wood grips wouldn‘t be easier to fit. Or maybe I‘ll keep the plastic grips.

Well, I‘ll see what parts I can get and then I‘ll start my build. I also saw that Field Marshall makes E-11 parts, and I‘ve got an unfinished one of these lying around as well. Seems my blaster journey has just begun.

When you go this long without a response it makes it improbable other people will respond the next time the question is asked...

Uhhh... Not easy to type on my phone, so I had to wait until I was on my PC again. Besides, as I said, it‘s going to be a slooow build, as I‘m usually completely swamped with work and don‘t have too much time to work on my replicas anymore...

Cheers!
Roman

Denix grips do fit fairly well on MGCs...but they have that flattened profile thats a bit weird.

Hey thanks for allthe helpful input!
I contacted Field Marshall and had a look at his work, amazing!
Hm, about the wood grips, so it seems the real Mauser grips are too small, right? Makes me wonder whether Denix replacement wood grips wouldn‘t be easier to fit. Or maybe I‘ll keep the plastic grips.

Well, I‘ll see what parts I can get and then I‘ll start my build. I also saw that Field Marshall makes E-11 parts, and I‘ve got an unfinished one of these lying around as well. Seems my blaster journey has just begun. 

Uhhh... Not easy to type on my phone, so I had to wait until I was on my PC again. Besides, as I said, it‘s going to be a slooow build, as I‘m usually completely swamped with work and don‘t have too much time to work on my replicas anymore... 

Cheers!
Roman

Wait a little more - Fieldmarshall is bringing out his scopemount soon. And knowing his passion for accuracy i have a gooood feeling about that.

I used replacement wooden grips for a real Mauser. Shape of the frame needed some work, i did it on my mill, but a set of good files should handle it equally good.

Heat to desolder the clamps can damage the scope innards, take it to a good gunsmith for deassembling, desoldering, reblueing, and reassembling. I had the luck to being able from several Hensoldts, so i didn´t had to take any risks. Used one like yours for display in a glass-cabinet, and one without clamps for my ANH-Blaster.

This. I helped Field Marshall out with his ANH mount as much as I could and I think it's going to be the most accurate made. If it were me... I''d go that route.

I've also have had about 15 of the real scopes to this point, and had to remove a fair amount of the clawed feet. IF you don't want to tackle it alone, I can do it for you.

The heat WILL damage the internals, so I would completely break it down before doing it. You'll need to remove as much of the solder afterward as possible and re-blue the areas where the claw feet were.

Hi there!

OK, so that means everything I can remove has to go before heating the scope, got it.

Unfortunately, there's no good gunsmiths around these parts, so I'll have to do it myself. I was able to break it down as far as this:
KbfJRYU.jpg

This "knob" remains, and I can still see the reticle inside the scope. Is this removeable as well? Seems like I'd have to use force...
1kp2xo4.jpg

Cheers and thanks for your help so far!
Roman

yes it's removable... just unscrew it.

you need to take the entire internals out.

This looks like an incredible build.

I have one of Todd's older mounts, and while it felt much sturdier, the cross bar is not the correct height, and i've always been a bit peeved at how my first ANH blaster turned out. (on a denix)

that MGC looks incredible.

yes it's removable... just unscrew it.

you need to take the entire internals out.

Whew, getting closer!
I managed to unscrew that "knob". But two pieces are still stuck on the inside:
1. A lens (I believe) that is about in the middle of the scope.
2. The reticle, which seems to be where the "knob" was.

I managed to nudge the lens a bit forward with some aluminum pipe, but the "reticle" part seems to be stuck, so I can't push it or the lens forward.
Seems to me that I've removed all the screws now, so why is the reticle piece still stuck? There's a lot of gunk, so that might be the reason. But I'm a bit afraid to just hammer away with the aluminum tube...

Here's a pic of the front of the scope.
O0cgOd9.jpg

Cheers!
Roman

Aaand done!
Phew! That last part was nerve-wracking. I really had to use an aluminum pipe and a hammer and knock those pieces out. But out they are. And I believe pretty much undamaged.

xJfVP0z.jpg

How I'm gonna get them back in is another question... :rolleyes

putting those bastards back in is usually pretty sucky. Make SURE you know the orientation before putting it back in, if it's tight. It can be infuriating.

Finally, the claws are gone! Remind me to never get a scope with soldered claw mount again!
I was wishing that I wouldn't need to reblue that much, but alas, that's how it looks now:
YPkGeQU.jpg

So, some sanding and blueing is in order.
Can I use cold blue, or how do I go about this? What's the best product for this?

Cheers!
Roman

I wonder how much good a "solder wick" / "desoldering braid" would do in removing that solder... Sand only around, never lengthwise.
It could be possible to rust-blue the patches but it is a time-consuming process and requires a box with high humidity. A gunsmith would be able to do it if you want to pay for it.
Getting it hot-blued in a caustic bath is inexpensive (if you prep it yourself) but it would have to be the whole scope and you would lose the patina - the result would be too perfect.

I wonder how much good a "solder wick" / "desoldering braid" would do in removing that solder...

Hm, I never knew such a thing existed. Underneath the solder, it almost looks like the bluing is intact...
Welp, I just ordered some solder wick, it should arrive on Thursday. I‘ll post my results as soon as I try it.

Cheers!
Roman

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back