Zeratul's Warp Blade from StarCraft 2

cassius

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys, just wanna show you something I've been working on for some time now :). It's basicly like a lightsaber attached to your forearm :).

123123.png

- - - Updated - - -

Viewport from Blender - modeled by me
views.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks awesome. When I first played the protoss campaign in SCII I wanted to make on the warp blades, but I didn't want to deal with the issues surrounding retractable blades. Design looks cool so far.

That can be somewhat of an issue but for me making the blade bright enough and evenly bright is going to be the problem since it's not a regular cylinder like a lightsaber

Here's the 3D print, I'm currently dealing with multiple problems surrounding my printers so the quality is really poor but it's still enough to keep it so here it is (electronics are already inside and working)
IMG-0456a.jpg

Print turned out quite nice. Abs or PLA? What are your plans for the blade as far as material? I thought of acrylic but as you mentioned light diffusion will not be easy to sort out.

I used PET-G and PET-G is what I intend to use for the blade since it has really nice transparent colors. Might not work at all but I definitely gonna try it since it allows me to create the shape I want without molds and such.

Here's the first test of the thing :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks :D. I have to admit the 40mm bass speaker works very well and it's very very loud which is also good. Decided to fix soldering on the lightsaber LED module today. Also made a decision to not use the flash on clash option since I'm not going to use it for fighting with other people hence the 3D printed blade which will be rather fragile. Now it's green&green&white setup and I will check if it's bright enough. If not I have to design some sort of custom rectangular LED module.

How do you plan to mimick the "smokey" look on the blade. Compared to a saber, the lines of this blade are much "shiftier." Were you going to add a smoke effect or just design the blade with more slight curves in it?

Im curious to find out how well the PET-G will refract for the blade. Its all great work. Keep it up.

My initial idea was to add glycerin based fog generator like e-smoke but after tests I realisied it's impossible to make it look even half decent. that's why I decided to skip it. As far as shape of the blade goes - wanna make something like this
warpblade05.jpg

This is a previous version of the full lenght test blade (24 inches long), the new one is going to have a bit different shape but the idea surrounding surface finish is about the same.

Last edited:
The brightness of the blade seems to negate some of the need for any smoke. The shape helps too, very organic. Where's this thing comming in as far as weight? Great 3d work btw, you captures so much of the detail from the game.

Sadly it's kinda heavy and difficult to put on. Once I get my palm through the front end it's loose and kinda wobbly so I will definitely need some padding - either something squishy added inside permanently or something I'd have to put inside everytime after my hand is already in.

With all the electronics, battery and screws the weight is 950g - 2.1lbs. After some research I'm convinced I'll need custom LED strip module - impossible to get even refraction with single light source at the front. That plus blade should not be more than additional 200g

Actually it does flicker a bit - look at the mirror frame, hard to tell from the blade itselft :).

UPDATE! Finished painting, now working on resin stones

Attachments

• IMG_5392a.JPG
    IMG_5392a.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_5393a.JPG
    IMG_5393a.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 204
Might not be as visible in the pictures but it is heavily weathered. Zeratul is old and has seen many things in many distant places across the universe so this must look old as well :).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back