Original Mashup Character Idea/Build for C2E2 2018

Ash

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everyone-

So this is going to serve as my build/feedback thread for the original mashup character I'm going to be premiering at C2E2 this year. I really want to get more involved in the convention circuit, cosplay community and maybe become a recognizable cosplayer someday down the road. While I do have a couple "regular" characters I think I portray fairly well, as far as looks and costumes go, I've always wanted to do something that I become known for and I think it's really cool when characters get mashed together, I find it really creative and unique. So after racking my brain and thinking of ideas I have finally come up with what I think could be that cosplay.

One of the characters I have already dressed up as multiple times for Halloween and the other is one that I'm well on the way to completing, so I sat down and messed around with photoshop a bit and everything started to become clear and my vision began taking shape...So without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, may I present... GastHan. A mashup of two of the greatest scoundrels in the Disney Universe, Gaston from Beauty and The Beast and everyone's favorite scruffy looking nerfherder Han Solo.

After messing around with turning Han into Gaston and than turning the animated Gaston into Han, I personally feel it works better with animated Gaston into Han, as you'll see from the pictures I worked on, Han's outfit looks okay but just not quite right and seeing as how the animated Gaston is the costume I have dressed up for previously it's easier to work with.

It'll be the red and yellow shirt and black pants that Gaston worn in the animated movie and I am already in the process of having custom Corellian Blood Stripes made that will alternate between red and yellow like Gaston's shirt as well as pay homage to the blood stripes Han has previously worn. I will than be adding Han's black boots, holster, 3 hole belt, and his vest. I'm also looking into creating leather gauntlets that are like the yellow ones I normally wear with Gaston, but feature some of the elements of Han's famous racing gloves. Finally, if time permits and it's allowed at C2E2 I'd like to create a DL-44 Blunderbuss out of a plastic airsoft Mauser I had lying around. I've seen the Mauser with stocks on them before and it sort of served as inspiration for that particular idea, but we'll see if I can figure something out or not in time.

So here are the photos I've tossed together, I apologize for their crudeness, as I'm self teaching my way through each one but at least they give you a sense of the over all idea.
It'd be great to hear some feedback, comments, or suggestion if you got em' cause I've been really excited to share this idea with everyone and I really like to hear what you all think about it. Can I really be the first person who's mashed up Gaston and Han Solo? Anyway... sing along with me.... "NO one... shoots first like GastHan..."

GastHan Cartoon.jpg Gaston to Han.png GastHan Walkthrough.jpg Gaston and women.jpg
GastHan Final.jpg Han_Solo.jpg GastHan 4.png GastHan 5.jpg GastHan 7.jpg GastHan 2nd.jpg

-Ash

Thought I would have had at least one comment, reaction, or words of encouragement by now. Maybe it's not as creative as I originally thought.

-Ash

Unless a lot of people know who Gaston was and from what Movie (Beauty and The Beast?) you might not get much reaction at the Con, at best people might think why is that Han look-a-like wearing a red shirt and not white? I just saw this thread today so I don't now why no one else has commented. Bottom line is if you want to do it, then full speed ahead and more power to you!

Thanks for the response dkaniel. I was a bit worried that people may not recognize Gaston straight away, but I hoped due to the live action movie out recently it might have made people go back and watch the original animated film. I guess we'll wait and see. I have other costumes I'll be bringing along as well, just thought people would get a kick out of this one.

-Ash

If you want to pull this off perfectly, make a musclesuit. It will help. Otherwise you'll look the way you said it didn't work as well. :)

I once saw a group of five young ladies in interesting costumes that I couldn't figure out.

I had to ask.

They explained: each costume was a blend between one Disney Princess and one Game Of Thrones character (female or male).

Such things are clever and creative, but I wouldn't want to have to explain the idea behind my costume to everyone.

I think mashups are difficult to do well. The trick (it seems to me) is to include enough of each character so that both can be recognised instantly by everybody.

What I'm drawn to is your Han not having the distinctive yellow gloves. But if he has the gloves, is there enough Han remaining for people to recognise? Gaston waist up, Han waist down might be one way to do it.

I saw a saying somewhere, regarding Halloween costumes, that if you’re forced to explain what your costume is then you’ve failed.

That said, I would lean towards the Gaston-as-Han route. Han-as-Gaston just looks like something out of the ‘70s Star Wars Marvel comics.

Edit: Also, I wouldn’t alternate the bloodstripe colors red and yellow: that might look too busy. I would personally pick yellow so it stands out against all the red of the shirt.

Last edited:
not wanting to be discouraging in any way shape or form I think you have a distinctive han solo with the vest and holster but you need something as or more distinctive from the other character for people to see what your trying to achieve, perhaps another iconic character would still work

Full approval on this idea! This is awesome!!! I just found out the dates yesterday so I may or may not go but if I do I'll keep an eye out for you!

I saw a saying somewhere, regarding Halloween costumes, that if you’re forced to explain what your costume is then you’ve failed.

That said, I would lean towards the Gaston-as-Han route. Han-as-Gaston just looks like something out of the ‘70s Star Wars Marvel comics.

Edit: Also, I wouldn’t alternate the bloodstripe colors red and yellow: that might look too busy. I would personally pick yellow so it stands out against all the red of the shirt.

I would heartily disagree with you, out of personal experience. I've had to explain references/props/costume pieces countless times and far more often than not, the ones asking the questions are not only genuinely interested, but have never seen/heard/been exposed to the referenced media. If the people asking the questions were people i knew and talked to on a regular basis, they usually looked up whatever it was and enjoyed it. If you love what you end up with, that's all that matters. if the guy next to you doesn't put 2 & 2 together on his won, give him a hand and spread the love.

Just my 2 cents.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back