New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo

I thought it was better on a second viewing. I was in the same boat as you, just saw it for a second time recently. Still a lot of problems, but somehow I was able to overlook some of them.

I thought it was better on a second viewing. I was in the same boat as you, just saw it for a second time recently. Still a lot of problems, but somehow I was able to overlook some of them.

The shock value was gone, which likely made predictability an ally when stomaching it a second time. You can then subconsciously block out the worst things, and start to form your own inner narrative with the "free time". You either find a way to spin it, or you just get angrier. :-\

I was unfortunate enough to see it twice, second time was for free at a social event. Felt like walking out after ten minutes but didnt want to spoil it for my friends but I can say that I`ve never seen an audience leave so flat after a Star Wars movie ever before in my life.

For my second viewing the things that bugged me the first time just stuck out even more. I tried to enjoy the few aspects I enjoyed the first time, but they were just overshadowed by all of the nonsense. I wasn't bored the first go-around because I kept holding out hope it would somehow make everything make sense. The second viewing I was just bored because I knew where it was going and what I would be left with. I didn't gain anything new the second time.

Was thinking about the release schedule today. If they keep doing a standalone on the off years, and develop another sequel trilogy, that means we have Rian's trilogy, a series from the GoT guys, a possible sequel trilogy, and standalones. It's just too many movies and there's no way they will be releasing two trilogies on alternating years. This leads me to think that perhaps the RJ trilogy will never happen and they are slowpedalling the news until after TLJ home video release cycle is done to avoid any bad press further affecting sales.

Was thinking about the release schedule today. If they keep doing a standalone on the off years, and develop another sequel trilogy, that means we have Rian's trilogy, a series from the GoT guys, a possible sequel trilogy, and standalones. It's just too many movies and there's no way they will be releasing two trilogies on alternating years. This leads me to think that perhaps the RJ trilogy will never happen and they are slowpedalling the news until after TLJ home video release cycle is done to avoid any bad press further affecting sales.

No. They have more then enough production capacity to have multiple films being made simultaneously, they have the capital requirements to fund these projects, and they are launching their streaming serivice in 2019 and all these films will eventually find a home there. Rian Johnson is working on a trilogy of films, these guys are working on a series of unrelated films which won't even go into pre-production until 2019 at the earliest due to their GOT commitments. Also they were initially approached to do tv development but they had some film ideas they pitched that were well received. The need for content is increasing not decreasing.

i was thinkin the same as egosheep but Bryancd makes a good point as well.
just got a bad feelin bout a whole johnson trilogy.although maybe his talents and ideas for a new trilogy without the restrictions of existing plot lines and character development might allow him to make amends for........ well my personal dissapointment in TLJ.
anyhow the best news i've seen recently is GOT guys doing this additional new trilogy.

i was thinkin the same as egosheep but Bryancd makes a good point as well.
just got a bad feelin bout a whole johnson trilogy.although maybe his talents and ideas for a new trilogy without the restrictions of existing plot lines and character development might allow him to make amends for........ well my personal dissapointment in TLJ.
anyhow the best news i've seen recently is GOT guys doing this additional new trilogy.

I would add he came in on time and on budget and delivered the number one global box office performer of the year. His entire production went without a single hiccup. He's very highly regarded at LucasFilm and isn't going anywhere.

Benihoff and Weis aren't doing a trilogy, it sounds like a few separate films.

He`s a hack writer and director who made the worst Star Wars film EVER and created a massive rift in the community and is also responsible for the name Star Wars to be tarnished to such a point that it has been removed from the title of its latest incarnation from the worlds second biggest market. On time and on budget means nothing to people who just want good Star Wars movies and it never will be.

No. They have more then enough production capacity to have multiple films being made simultaneously, they have the capital requirements to fund these projects, and they are launching their streaming serivice in 2019 and all these films will eventually find a home there. Rian Johnson is working on a trilogy of films, these guys are working on a series of unrelated films which won't even go into pre-production until 2019 at the earliest due to their GOT commitments. Also they were initially approached to do tv development but they had some film ideas they pitched that were well received. The need for content is increasing not decreasing.
What Disney needs is quality content that doesn't damage the brand, not just more quantity. Audience fatigue and brand oversaturation is a thing, and Disney may already be over the line. How do you see the schedule of the next 4 years shaping up? To me it seems like the only way this works is if any additional Skywalker Trilogy movies are put on hold, Rian does a new trilogy(old republic maybe) and GoT guys do loosely connected anthology films in between. I don't see them doing three SW movies a year or juggling separate connected storylines when there were average moviegoers who were expecting to see Rey and Finn in Rogue One. After the fiascos with Lord and Miller and Trevorrow, I'm not sure why it's so left-field to suggest that Rian may not end up making his trilogy.

- - - Updated - - -

His entire production went without a single hiccup.
You're kidding, right? Just because it doesn't make The Star Wars Show doesn't mean there weren't production issues.

What Disney needs is quality content that doesn't damage the brand, not just more quantity. Audience fatigue and brand oversaturation is a thing, and Disney may already be over the line. How do you see the schedule of the next 4 years shaping up? To me it seems like the only way this works is if any additional Skywalker Trilogy movies are put on hold, Rian does a new trilogy(old republic maybe) and GoT guys do loosely connected anthology films in between. I don't see them doing three SW movies a year or juggling separate connected storylines when there were average moviegoers who were expecting to see Rey and Finn in Rogue One. After the fiascos with Lord and Miller and Trevorrow, I'm not sure why it's so left-field to suggest that Rian may not end up making his trilogy.

For sure, audience fatigue and saturation are real possibilities. The only way to really know the size of a marketplace is to push that theory to find the breaking point. Star Wars isn't there yet, may never get there, or may if they have multiple films and TV competing annually. TBD.

I think they will take a hiatus from films involving Rey, Kylo, Finn, Poe, et al after 2019. I think an Obi Wan standalone is 70/30 a possibility within the next few years. I think Rian has a concept he has already pitched and they have greenlit so that could start production sometime around 2020. These guys can probably be ready to go in front of cameras by 2021 or 2022. We will likely know the next 5 years of post 2019 releases planned at the next D23 convention this summer, they are do to make those plans known with more clarity. I think a film per year will be their sweet spot. The director issues with Lord and Miller and Trevorrow where distinct from eacother and doesn't have any immediate correlation to Rian Johnson.

Regarding TLJ production relative to R1 and Solo, I think it's accurate to say it didn't have any meaningful issues.

I would add he came in on time and on budget and delivered the number one global box office performer of the year. His entire production went without a single hiccup. He's very highly regarded at LucasFilm and isn't going anywhere.

Benihoff and Weis aren't doing a trilogy, it sounds like a few separate films.

People keep throwing around the box office numbers as if they're at all related to the quality of the movie. They might be, but just slightly.

If TFA an TLJ were 100% identical in story and cast/crew/etc, but didn't have SW or Luke/Leia/Chewie/Falcon attached to it, it wouldn't have grossed half, or maybe a third of what it did. You have to be honest about that.

I've never made a movie, but i guarantee you if you gave me E7 or 8 that i'd be able to garner close to the same box office numbers. STAR WARS in name is what sells the tickets at this point. To further illustrate that point, didn't BOTH of them score 200M before it was in theatres via presales? That's more than a number of movies made in their entire release. And that's not directed completely at you, you're not the only one who's push the box office numbers.

Now, coming in on time, under budget and with no issues - that's a huge plus, no arguement there.

I'd also add that when he does a whole trilogy that i'd bet anything he has the full story mapped out before part 1 begins filming. He got no such luxury this time. He also won't have the OT to whiz all over this time either. Short of that, i'd have like TLJ a good deal more.

Fatigue can be an issue, and i don't think SW is fatigued from 3 flicks in 3 years. It's taking heat on the quality front and the fact they actively chose to anger the OT fans who are the primary audience that makes this thing what it is. I'm not saying you suck up to them ad nasuem, but you don't go intentially pissing them off either. The bigger issue is that to keep a string going, you have to have an actual plan/outline of what you're trying to accomplish. That's why it works for marvel and fails for DC in large part. Seems to be lacking with SW as well. "That sounds good, lets do that", "ooh, i like that, we'll make that too", all irrespective of any plan. That's not to say all anthology flicks have to relate to an overarching storyline - but they do need to follow the establish history, and it WOULD be helpful if they were part of a master plan. TRILOGIES, and especially the main one, need to be laid out story wise before the first one is shot. Period. End of story. You don't film part 1 with no @%^(ing clue as to what happens in 2 or 3. You have to know what happens in each part so you're not making it up as you go along. If the plan is to do 7-9, and 10-12 at some point, you need to have a clue as to what needs to happen along the way. FFS, lucas had it outline to 12 parts at one time, but the final 7 got edited down to ROTJ. But he had the story outline. These guys seem have jack and the powers that be don't care that there's no plan as long as it brings in money. TLJ brought in money because it's SW, not because of TLJ itself. The sooner they realize it the better.

Last edited:
People keep throwing around the box office numbers as if they're at all related to the quality of the movie. They might be, but just slightly.

If TFA an TLJ were 100% identical in story and cast/crew/etc, but didn't have SW or Luke/Leia/Chewie/Falcon attached to it, it wouldn't have grossed half, or maybe a third of what it did. You have to be honest about that.

I've never made a movie, but i guarantee you if you gave me E7 or 8 that i'd be able to garner close to the same box office numbers. STAR WARS in name is what sells the tickets at this point. To further illustrate that point, didn't BOTH of them score 200M before it was in theatres via presales? That's more than a number of movies made in their entire release. And that's not directed completely at you, you're not the only one who's push the box office numbers.
Hey
Now, coming in on time, under budget and with no issues - that's a huge plus, no arguement there.

I'd also add that when he does a whole trilogy that i'd bet anything he has the full story mapped out before part 1 begins filming. He got no such luxury this time. He also won't have the OT to whiz all over this time either. Short of that, i'd have like TLJ a good deal more.

I wasn’t correlating box office to quality as quality is subjective, box office is objective. Subjectively Rian Johnson has delivered for Lucasfilm. Objectively, some people didn’t care for it. Lucasfilm won’t part ways with someone who has proven themselves critically and financially. They will see post IX where the fandom is but it’s not a huge concern for them right now. I know for people who don’t like TLJ they want retribution against Rian but that’s not going to happen.

I know for people who don’t like TLJ they want retribution against Rian but that’s not going to happen.

I know you like to give the impression that you have some kind of inside knowledge and are on Lucasfilms speed dial but I`m tipping you dont and are not. Anyone who has done so much damage to an iconic brand must surely be on the outs.

I do not like what he did with Luke. Period. End of story. I do not seek retribution. I'd like IX to have a bit of a mea culpa aspect to it though.

As i've said, i don't think they have an over arching plan. They're making it up as they go along it seems. I hope that's wrong. I can admit to not like ESB at all when i first saw it. I was 9 and to me it was my heroes getting their butts kicked for 2 hours, the end. I came around after ROTJ when you see how it tied all together. I'm willing to wait til post IX to give a final verdict to 8.

This is, if 9 makes 8 more palpable - i fully believe it will be either damage control or simply JJ's idea. I don't think there was a plan at all for 9 when 8 was being written. It seems to have been, you finish 8 and we'll then start 9.

I do not like what he did with Luke. Period. End of story. I do not seek retribution. I'd like IX to have a bit of a mea culpa aspect to it though.

As i've said, i don't think they have an over arching plan. They're making it up as they go along it seems. I hope that's wrong. I can admit to not like ESB at all when i first saw it. I was 9 and to me it was my heroes getting their butts kicked for 2 hours, the end. I came around after ROTJ when you see how it tied all together. I'm willing to wait til post IX to give a final verdict to 8.

This is, if 9 makes 8 more palpable - i fully believe it will be either damage control or simply JJ's idea. I don't think there was a plan at all for 9 when 8 was being written. It seems to have been, you finish 8 and we'll then start 9.

I have said before I don’t believe they have an over arching plan by design. I think their instinct is to keep the Saga films fairly wide open creatively in the hopes of attracting great talent to play in the universe. Very similar to what GL always envisioned. How successful that strategy is has yet to be determined but it’s had a few bumps in the road. I’m not privy to any information that can’t be gleaned from news or following and conversing with people who know others closer to Lucasfilm. If they had a strict story arc what great director or writer would want to step into that environment? These GOT guts is a good sign their instincts are correct, give creative people a chance. It may cause rumblings in parts of the fandom but the franchise can easily survive a few of those. But just a few. :)

People are dropping off like flies, the dramatic slump in toy sales, the box office for TLJ falling off a cliff and the overwhelming amount of negative comments from a huge number of fans both here and else where online support this fact.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back