Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    United Kingdom
    Feb 13, 2018, 9:18 AM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #126

Good call. I’m not offended by it even though it is wrong but c’mon, it’s already an abbreviation, is one letter too much. I am definitely a pedant though.
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    Feb 13, 2018, 10:01 AM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #127

G’day @The Wook ,

I’m old enough to remember Star Wars being called ‘ Star Wars ‘ when it first came out , being 11 at the time .
    Wondering then , if it’s referred to as ‘ Ep IV or Ep IV - ANH ‘ now , why is that a sign of low SWIQ ?
    After all , Star Wars’ opening scrawl starts off ‘ Episode IV - A New Hope ‘ right ? . Yeah , George Lucas made it a one off at the time maybe ( why else inc. Ep IV? , unless it was a reference to his beloved serials ) , but I digress - that thankfully changed , due to its brilliant impact and success as a ground breaking film .

Ged
    Last edited by gedmac66; Feb 13, 2018 at 10:10 AM.
    Feb 13, 2018, 10:08 AM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #128

What about when going to the theater? Do you ask for a ticket for the subtitle of the Star Wars movie? I don't. Every SW movie I've ever seen in the theater I've just said "Ticket for Star Wars." They know what I mean.
    From
    Somewhere up by Canada, Minnesota
    Feb 13, 2018, 10:27 AM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #129

gedmac66 said: View Post
    Gday @The Wook ,

Im old enough to remember Star Wars being called Star Wars when it first came out , being 11 at the time .
    Wondering then , if its referred to as Ep IV or Ep IV - ANH now , why is that a sign of low SWIQ ?
    After all , Star Wars opening scrawl starts off Episode IV - A New Hope right ? . Yeah , George Lucas made it a one off at the time maybe ( why else inc. Ep IV? , unless it was a reference to his beloved serials ) , but I digress - that thankfully changed , due to its brilliant impact and success as a ground breaking film .

Ged
    Well, when I saw Star Wars in 1977 at the gentle young age of ten years, the opening crawl just said "Star Wars", without any silly "episode IV, A New Hope". That retcon came later - 1978, I believe.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    From
    Feb 13, 2018, 10:27 AM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #130

Laspector said: View Post
    What about when going to the theater? Do you ask for a ticket for the subtitle of the Star Wars movie? I don't. Every SW movie I've ever seen in the theater I've just said "Ticket for Star Wars." They know what I mean.
    Me too. Good point.

From
    Northern Ireland
    Feb 13, 2018, 10:34 AM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #131

Same as me....

Do the same with James Bond movies etc

J
    From
    Northern Ireland
    Feb 13, 2018, 10:40 AM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #132

G W Zipper said: View Post
    Well, when I saw Star Wars in 1977 at the gentle young age of ten years, the opening crawl just said "Star Wars", without any silly "episode IV, A New Hope". That retcon came later - 1978, I believe.
    The Ep 4:A New Hope was added after ESB came out....but home video releases still called it on the cover Star Wars right up to 2000 when the Phantom Menace came out for home

I still just call it Star Wars

J
    From
    Los Angeles
    Feb 13, 2018, 10:55 AM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #133

So , basically ( correct me if Im wrong ) what youre saying is that everyone of Note at LF and Disney , ( the powers that be essentially ) were aware of what these planned films being made would become ( being greenlit ) - from start to finish - , for the movie going public ... and Longtime Fans of the series !?
    Lucasfilm, yes. Disney-- probably just Bob Iger and maybe one or two other VPs. Like Pixar and Marvel, Disney expects Lucasfilm to run itself. They give Lucasfilm money, and Kathleen promises them a box-office crushing movie every year. As long as she delivers on that, she can do whatever she wants.

I'm sure Disney has a list of standards, every studio does, of things they don't want in a movie they distribute, but everyone would know that up front. And the standards will be oddly specific-- like chopping people to pieces and patricide is totally cool, but they don't want to see anybody smoking.
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    Feb 13, 2018, 11:49 AM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #134

I’m feeling so freakin’ old - my memories shot !
  10. The Wook is offline The Wook
    Feb 13, 2018, 1:03 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #135

G’day @The Wook ,

I’m old enough to remember Star Wars being called ‘ Star Wars ‘ when it first came out , being 11 at the time .
    Wondering then , if it’s referred to as ‘ Ep IV or Ep IV - ANH ‘ now , why is that a sign of low SWIQ ?
    It's not. I frequently refer to it as ANH (and occasionally Ep.IV) for convenience, depending on the situation, and the audience I'm addressing. If I think my audience will know that I mean the 1977 film when I refer to it as, "Star Wars", then I'll use that. But if I think they'll be confused, and not know which Star Wars movie I'm talking about, then it's likely I'll clarify it by using A New Hope, ANH, or Episode.IV,

So no, referring to the film as A New Hope or ANH or Episode IV is *not* a sign of a low SWIQ. However, if someone *does* refer to the film as "Star Wars", then it *is* a sign he has a high SWIQ, that he *gets it*, that he saw the film during that magical summer of '77, and that he believes the theatrical cut of the film is a masterpiece, and should not be tampered with in any way.

Ditto. And I love saying it! I daresay I enjoy the 3 seconds it takes to say, "Ticket for Star Wars", much more than the two hours watching these new movies which bear its name..

Jaitea said: View Post
    The Ep 4:A New Hope was added after ESB came out....but home video releases still called it on the cover Star Wars right up to 2000 when the Phantom Menace came out for home

I still just call it Star Wars.
    Jaitea is right. The first time we saw Episode IV A NEW HOPE was during its theatrical re-release in 1981.

The Wook
    From
    Feb 13, 2018, 1:10 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #136

The Wook said: View Post

Jaitea is right. The first time we saw Episode IV A NEW HOPE was when the film was re-released in 1981.

The Wook
    Yep, that's correct. I may have read it sooner in a Starlog magazine or some such thing back in the day, prior to 1981. I've still got those things in a box in the basement, maybe I should go back and try to find out the first time they referred to episode IV.

Seriously Wook, this needs its own thread. People eat it up.

From
    Perth, Western Australia
    Feb 13, 2018, 1:15 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #137

Thanks for your clarification Wook .

By the by , any idea when you’ll be sharing your thoughts on TLJ ?

Ged
  13. The Wook is offline The Wook
    Feb 13, 2018, 1:24 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #138

Thanks for your clarification Wook .

By the by , any idea when you’ll be sharing your thoughts on TLJ ?

Ged
    No worries, mate.

As for my yet to be written TLJ review, here's why I've not sat down to do it. I saw the film opening night at midnight. My goal was to see it a second time, before writing my review and posting it on the RPF. But my God, the film was so atrocious and offensive to my SWIQ, I have just not been able to drag myself back to the cinema to see it a second time. I know I had better hurry, because while it is still playing here in Whale's Vagina, it will be yanked soon. And if I miss it, then I'll just write the review. But my goal remains, to see it one more time--one last time--to clarify my thoughts.

But I appreciate the interest that you and @joshvanrad and @Mr Webber and a handful of others have expressed in threads like this, and via PMs, and I will git 'er done someday, I promise.

The Wook
    Last edited by The Wook; Feb 13, 2018 at 1:33 PM.
    From
    MN, United States
    Feb 13, 2018, 2:10 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #139

The Wook said: View Post
    No worries, mate.

As for my yet to be written TLJ review, here's why I've not sat down to do it. I saw the film opening night at midnight. My goal was to see it a second time, before writing my review and posting it on the RPF. But my God, the film was so atrocious and offensive to my SWIQ, I have just not been able to drag myself back to the cinema to see it a second time. I know I had better hurry, because while it is still playing here in Whale's Vagina, it will be yanked soon. And if I miss it, then I'll just write the review. But my goal remains, to see it one more time--one last time--to clarify my thoughts.

But I appreciate the interest that you and @joshvanrad and @Mr Webber and a handful of others have expressed in threads like this, and via PMs, and I will git 'er done someday, I promise.

The Wook
    I thought it would get better with a second viewing. It doesn't. It was even more of a slog the second time through it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  15. The Wook is offline The Wook
    Feb 13, 2018, 2:13 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #140

joshvanrad said: View Post
    I thought it would get better with a second viewing. It doesn't. It was even more of a slog the second time through it.
    Oh terrific...you're not making my chore any easier!

The Wook
    From
    Feb 13, 2018, 2:52 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #141

I thought it was better on a second viewing. I was in the same boat as you, just saw it for a second time recently. Still a lot of problems, but somehow I was able to overlook some of them.
    From
    Michigan
    Feb 13, 2018, 3:13 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #142

I thought it was better on a second viewing. I was in the same boat as you, just saw it for a second time recently. Still a lot of problems, but somehow I was able to overlook some of them.
    The shock value was gone, which likely made predictability an ally when stomaching it a second time. You can then subconsciously block out the worst things, and start to form your own inner narrative with the "free time". You either find a way to spin it, or you just get angrier. :-\
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    Feb 13, 2018, 10:06 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #143

I’m in the Once was enough category , thanks very much - having better things to do with my time and money

Ged
    From
    Burlington Vermont U.S.A.
    Feb 13, 2018, 10:12 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #144

I saw TLJ once. That was enough. Won't be seeing it again. I ticked off the people sitting next to me in the theater because I was groaning and saying 'What the f**k?' every few minutes.
    From
    Terra Australis
    Feb 13, 2018, 10:31 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #145

I was unfortunate enough to see it twice, second time was for free at a social event. Felt like walking out after ten minutes but didnt want to spoil it for my friends but I can say that I`ve never seen an audience leave so flat after a Star Wars movie ever before in my life.
    From
    MN, United States
    Feb 13, 2018, 10:34 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #146

For my second viewing the things that bugged me the first time just stuck out even more. I tried to enjoy the few aspects I enjoyed the first time, but they were just overshadowed by all of the nonsense. I wasn't bored the first go-around because I kept holding out hope it would somehow make everything make sense. The second viewing I was just bored because I knew where it was going and what I would be left with. I didn't gain anything new the second time.
  22. Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Feb 15, 2018, 2:05 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #147

Was thinking about the release schedule today. If they keep doing a standalone on the off years, and develop another sequel trilogy, that means we have Rian's trilogy, a series from the GoT guys, a possible sequel trilogy, and standalones. It's just too many movies and there's no way they will be releasing two trilogies on alternating years. This leads me to think that perhaps the RJ trilogy will never happen and they are slowpedalling the news until after TLJ home video release cycle is done to avoid any bad press further affecting sales.
    From
    Burlington Vermont U.S.A.
    Feb 15, 2018, 2:20 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #148

I too have a feeling that the GOT guys will be doing a new trilogy instead of Rian. Just waiting for the 'creative differences' excuse to come up.
  24. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Feb 16, 2018, 12:19 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #149

egosheep said: View Post
    Was thinking about the release schedule today. If they keep doing a standalone on the off years, and develop another sequel trilogy, that means we have Rian's trilogy, a series from the GoT guys, a possible sequel trilogy, and standalones. It's just too many movies and there's no way they will be releasing two trilogies on alternating years. This leads me to think that perhaps the RJ trilogy will never happen and they are slowpedalling the news until after TLJ home video release cycle is done to avoid any bad press further affecting sales.
    No. They have more then enough production capacity to have multiple films being made simultaneously, they have the capital requirements to fund these projects, and they are launching their streaming serivice in 2019 and all these films will eventually find a home there. Rian Johnson is working on a trilogy of films, these guys are working on a series of unrelated films which won't even go into pre-production until 2019 at the earliest due to their GOT commitments. Also they were initially approached to do tv development but they had some film ideas they pitched that were well received. The need for content is increasing not decreasing.
  25. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    From
    west australia
    Feb 16, 2018, 4:42 PM - Re: New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo #150

i was thinkin the same as egosheep but Bryancd makes a good point as well.
    just got a bad feelin bout a whole johnson trilogy.although maybe his talents and ideas for a new trilogy without the restrictions of existing plot lines and character development might allow him to make amends for........ well my personal dissapointment in TLJ.
    anyhow the best news i've seen recently is GOT guys doing this additional new trilogy.