New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo

You know what I always hear about GoT? How someone lady got forced into sex or incest or how there's just random graphic acts or nudity everywhere. I never hear about how good the story is, or the characters. Just all the extreme stuff. And when you do hear about the characters, it's always so-and-so died.

Makes me wonder if these people are actually good writers or they just hooked a bunch of people with shock-value and are riding that wave to the end. Also makes me wonder if LF is making another mistake. They thought comedy directors Lord and Miller would deliver a serious Solo movie. Now they apparently think people that rely on graphic shock and sex can deliver a competent SW movie.

I think we're gonna see another epic firing if they try and make a SW movie in that style.

Just because they make one thing doesn't mean they can't make something different. Salman Rushie wrote a book about the Wizard of Oz-- true story.

You know what I always hear about GoT? How someone lady got forced into sex or incest or how there's just random graphic acts or nudity everywhere. I never hear about how good the story is, or the characters. Just all the extreme stuff. And when you do hear about the characters, it's always so-and-so died.

Makes me wonder if these people are actually good writers or they just hooked a bunch of people with shock-value and are riding that wave to the end...

You could edit out all the sex and nudity and it would still be the one of the best TV shows in history.
And as satisfying as the violence can be, often it's best moments are when two people are just talking.
It's very well written - and beautifully shot, if you're a cinema buff.

You could edit out all the sex and nudity and it would still be the one of the best TV shows in history.
And as satisfying as the violence can be, often it's best moments are when two people are just talking.
spot on,well put.
these guys are just what star wars needed!

Seeing the same attitude as when the rumor broke that Quentin Tarantino had an idea for a Star Trek movie. People were saying he's just going to do Pulp Fiction in space or some such nonsense. Why on earth would Benioff and Weiss just want to do "Star Wars Game of Thrones edition"? That makes no sense. And even though I have my doubts as to their writing prowess when not adapting already proven material. they have done other things. Benioff has even written novels.

Me also,....now I can't watch it....TLJ has ruined my investment in the ST

The urgency to get get the new Star Wars films released without a masterplan is the crux of the problem

J

I mentioned this in another thread but the best star wars movies had a "story by George Lucas" even if Kasden was writing them.

The fact is, Directors aren't story creators. And for most part, Screenwriters aren't either.

Disney should really hire a children's fantasy author to plot these out. The Bring in people like Kasden to translate that to the big screen

I mentioned this in another thread but the best star wars movies had a "story by George Lucas" even if Kasden was writing them.

The fact is, Directors aren't story creators. And for most part, Screenwriters aren't either.

Disney should really hire a children's fantasy author to plot these out. The Bring in people like Kasden to translate that to the big screen

I`m actually looking forward to these guys bringing a more mature orientated attitude to the whole process rather than the standard forced adult moments under a children`s umbrella we have seen lately.

Screenwriters 100% are creators. Pretty much any showrunner for a TV show is also the head writer. In film the story can get diluted because studios generally have a second writer come in on any given project, but to say they aren't responsible for story is just not true.

Judging from their past work I'm familiar with. One wrote Troy and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the other has done basically nothing but GoT and some unused writing.

I'd have to say I'm skeptical of at least one of these people being a person that could write a good sci-fi story or anything with compelling dialogue. The other one has virtually no other experience so he could write GoT great but maybe that's all or maybe he's the golden goose of the duo.

I'll wait to see what their plan is before getting too excited about this.

Ok I gotta again call BS on people mocking the people who didn't like TLJ because a lot of you have been making the exact same comment about the Prequels not being how you imagined it. You can't do that and turn around and taunt people who didn't like TLJ.

You are right, and I struggle with this daily. I was 100% a huge PT hater, so I get how it feels. I actually feel bad for how negative I was and how I tried to ruin it for other people. It's more or less the reason I started using the internet in earnest.

I mean-- I still think the movies are a giant dumpster fire of poo, but I can't begrudge people for liking what they like.

Ok I gotta again call BS on people mocking the people who didn't like TLJ because a lot of you have been making the exact same comment about the Prequels not being how you imagined it. You can't do that and turn around and taunt people who didn't like TLJ.

Amen....Especially from people who have only joined the entire conversation in the last few days.

I'd very much have to agree with what MrSouthpaw said above. As well as Game of Thrones does, it is an adaptation. I am not saying that D&D don't deserve the credit they're getting, but when they didn't have GRRM's work to pull from, the quality dropped. It isn't outside of the realm of possibility to think that they may be "one hit wonders" and this could be yet another misstep.
Benioff is responsible for X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Weiss is responsible for, well.. nothing, after all.

There were more bad SW movies than there were good ones before Disney every bought it, so I don't really care either way.. they'll make good movies or they won't. Based on the track record so far of Disney and their inexperience with anything other than one hit show? Ehhhhh, I'm not holding my breath.

P.S. Mr. Webber... ` This is a back quote, not an apostrophe. "I`m" vs. "I'm." The second is correct. :angel

Last edited:
Benioff is responsible for X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I'm with you on most points, but to be fair, Benioff was just one writer on that film. The screenplay is credited to a 2nd writer as well, not to mention there were stories during production that the director and Jackman himself made many changes during filming. So, try and lay the blame for that mess squarely on Benioff isn't 100% fair. He's also written 3 well reviewed novels.

I'm with you on most points, but to be fair, Benioff was just one writer on that film. The screenplay is credited to a 2nd writer as well, not to mention there were stories during production that the director and Jackman himself made many changes during filming. So, try and lay the blame for that mess squarely on Benioff isn't 100% fair. He's also written 3 well reviewed novels.

I bring up X-Men Origins because it's really the most relevant of his work I think. His other writing credits consist of a few adaptations, and those that aren't adapted from other sources have mixed to poor reviews. Novels are great, but I am not sure exactly how well that transfers over to screen writing. Just judging on his past work? Not too well..

My point here is I feel like they were chosen looking ONLY at Game of Thrones with no consideration given to the quality of the rest,( or in Weiss' case the lack of the rest) of their work. It is very short sighted by Disney and Lucas Film IMO and I am excited to see how it ends up playing out. My prediction based on nothing but the above and a feeling? The bad Star Wars movies continue to out number the good ones..

My point here is I feel like they were chosen looking ONLY at Game of Thrones with no consideration given to the quality of the rest,( or in Weiss' case the lack of the rest) of their work.

I kind of doubt this is true. Listening to other writers I know talk about the typical studio process with these types of things, I'm sure there were many meetings with ideas pitched back and forth. Sure, the fact that they are the showrunners of a hugely popular tv show got them in the room, but I'd bet serious money there was a lot more than that to actually choosing them.

I kind of doubt this is true. Listening to other writers I know talk about the typical studio process with these types of things, I'm sure there were many meetings with ideas pitched back and forth. Sure, the fact that they are the showrunners of a hugely popular tv show got them in the room, but I'd bet serious money there was a lot more than that to actually choosing them.

Let me put it this way. If you remove GoT from their resume, Weiss has nothing. Benioff has mixed to poorly reviewed films. You can't tell me for a second they'd be let near the Star Wars franchise on their merits. Take that into account and yes, they do seem to be (in my OPINION) overlooking all their past work and basing this decision only on GoT.
Hypothetical pitch meetings a side, they can tell KK that they shoot rainbows out of their ass and **** gold... Can they deliver? Based on the evidence at hand, it is POSSIBLE (simply possible) that no, they can not. I do not intend to argue about it, just clear up my thoughts on it.

Ultimately time will tell, but as I said... I am not holding my breath. That is all. If you disagree, I am more than happy to respect your views on it.

You cant rely on IMDB as it only reflects things released or in production. My actual resume has double the amount of projects my IMDb lists. The amount of scripts and projects developed by studios— to the point of paying people to work on them, versus what actually gets made, is 10 to 1. Maybe 20 to 1.

Generally speaking, even if you have other samples and deals for them to consider your worth, you do still need a track record. Game of Thrones maybe a singular entry, but it’s literally years worth of work both running a show and writing hours and hours of individual episodes. Working one show for several seasons is a ton of work, way more than a single feature credit.

Add that to them pitching an idea Kennedy loved, that’s enough to get them a job.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back