New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones duo

I like Game of Thrones. But Game of Thrones is not Star Wars. So even if these guys are making fantastic writing contributions to GRRM's story--and I must confess, I don't know what content is his and what is theirs--my individual enjoyment of the series is no guarantee the duo would be successful writing a good Star Wars movie.

The only way I could predict that, would be if I could assess their SWIQs. But with no opportunity to do that, all I can say definitively is that they've been recruited for this task by Disney, a studiio which has demonstrated thrice now, they have a hideously low SWIQ.

So I cannot get excited about this. There are plenty of great writers in this world--and even the realm of sci-fi/fantasy entertainment--who could never make a good Star Wars movie, because they simply lack the requisite SWIQ to do so.

I'd need an hour with each guy, to measure their SWIQs, and tell you whether or not they're up to the task.

The Wook

Last edited:
At least a good start at cleaning up the mess.

I almost always agree with you, Mr. Webber, but I cannot in this instance. I was fooled before by the recruitment of JJ Abrams. I was thrilled to have a guy of my generation, who grew up loving Star Wars, who was as lost by the SEs and PT as I was, at the helm of a new Star Wars movie. All his talk of a return to practical fx and makeup, etc. But he gave us an absolute steaming pile of schit, in TFA.

So, just because LOST is so well done (albeit, unresolved), and ST09 a fun film, none of that translated over to his attempt at making a Star Wars film. Why? Because his SWIQ is abysmally low, and a high SWIQ is essential to making a good Star Wars movie.

The Wook

I almost always agree with you, Mr. Webber, but I cannot in this instance. I was fooled before by the recruitment of JJ Abrams. I was thrilled to have a guy of my generation, who grew up loving Star Wars, who was as lost by the SEs and PT as I was, at the helm of a new Star Wars movie. All his talk of a return to practical fx and makeup, etc. But he gave us an absolute steaming pile of schit, in TFA.

So, just because LOST is so well done (albeit, unresolved), and ST09 a fun film, none of that translated over to his attempt at making a Star Wars film. Why? Because his SWIQ is abysmally low, and a high SWIQ is essential to making a good Star Wars movie.

The Wook

I agree with your disagreement. Its just that the bar has been set so low recently, the only way must surely be up. I dont want to see Star Wars fade away into over milked ,under prepared oblivion. I`m willing to give one more chance to guys that will not follow the same path.

I agree with your disagreement. Its just that the bar has been set so low recently, the only way must surely be up. I dont want to see Star Wars fade away into over milked ,under prepared oblivion. I`m willing to give one more chance to guys that will not follow the same path.

In a related story, a lost tourist at Disneyland accidentally entered a room with a "Star Wars" sign on it , thinking it was part of the Star Tours attraction, and shot this video of Bob Iger.

giphy.gif

The Wook

Interesting that they are developing multiple series of films with the same creative teams. I wonder if they will be shooting some back to back the way Cameron is doing Avatar? It seems like there is just not enough time for one director to be delivering these films every two years, if they have to be in full pre-production for another while one is shooting.

Hope they will learn from their mistakes of the sequel trilogy and actually map out a good story for all the connecting movies before they start shooting. If only they had some kind of dedicated group of people inside Lucasfilm whose job depended on keeping the story straight.:facepalm

I loves me some GoT. Still, I can't help but wonder if we're approaching "market over-saturation" with the Star Wars IP.

EDIT - and now Iger announces “multiple” SW TV shows in the works for Disney’s upcoming streaming service. When do you suppose the Law of Diminishing Returns will start kicking in?

Last edited:
Thanks Mr Webber. It's hard not to lay a generous dollop of blame for the current situation on the Story Group. They should have stopped putting comic book dialog under the canon microscope long enough to see if the story of the new trilogy actually made sense.

None of them were even born when the OT hit, shows doesnt it.

I cannot exactly say there is a correlation between someone's SWIQ and whether or not they saw Star Wars in the summer of '77. Because I know a lot of people who possess a very low SWIQ, who did, in fact, see the film during its initial theatrical run. So, having seen Star Wars in '77 does not mean it's likely you possess a high SWIQ.

However, this correlation does exist:

If you do possess a high SWIQ, it is very likely you saw Star Wars in '77.

The Wook

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back