Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good?

Isn’t that pretty much why he started ILM & Lucasfilm ? He didn’t want ‘ others ‘ interfering ( overtly ) with his films without invitation ?
That plus the fact that he was a visionary when it came to helping create a visual / practical effects powerhouse !

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to happen, which is a shame. The first marching orders for episode 7 had jaws on the floor, and none of it survived as intended. Bastardized and watered-down in a few spots, but nothing of substance.

Okay, see, you can't say stuff like that and then not expand on it.

After I've had time to let TLJ settle in my stomach, I think Lucas knew there wasn't much left to do in his galaxy.

Its pretty clear Disney has no idea where to go with the franchise now. I personally don't need to go through another evil empire and rebellion. Been there done that.

The original trilogy characters were cream of the crop and everyone else is a cheap substitute. Kylo Ren is a descent villain but still sub-par to Vader.

Lucas is laughing all the way to the bank (again).

I am sure the fans' treatment of him regarding the prequels and special editions made offloading that burden an easy choice for him...

....that, and the fat bag of coins offered by Disney's "White Slavers" (insert George Lucas's awkward "I can't take that comment back" laugh here).

I am happy to see that he's been able to make the smaller--more personal films--that he said he would be doing now that he has not been burdened by "The Star Wars Soap Opera"

Another example of supplemental material that needed to be handed out with the ticket to this movie. Two and half hours of screen time is more than enough to tell everything you need to, this aint no LOTR trilogy by any known measurement standard.

Yes, Uncle George did WIN .. when he received the 4billion, a majority of that was NOT cash, but in Disney stock, which has increased in value since that deal.... so ....... Uncle George is a majority shareholder in Mickeys House, as well as having cleared Billions in the sale when the writing was on the wall.... George is still the master of HIS universe...... AND OWN s all the props we love, the new archivist is cataloging a NEW collection

The TLJ and TFA art books offer a lot of insight. Funny enough, Lucas had Luke in hiding like he is in TLJ in TFA. #yesyourLuke

Didn’t know that was the plan for Luke by George !;)
Is there any further information , or reasons given by GL for having his version of Luke ‘ hiding ‘ there ? Was he hiding in George’s vision ?
Given that Mark Hamill has stated that he’d signed on for this series prior to GL selling the franchise , and , how he later came to have concerns about where Luke’s character was being ‘ taken ‘ ....
I think it’s safe to assume that George’s reason for having him there was completely different from Rian’s !

Last edited:
Didn’t know that was the plan for Luke by George !;)
Is there any further information , or reasons given by GL for having his version of Luke ‘ hiding ‘ there ? Was he hiding in George’s vision ?
Given that Mark Hamill has stated that he’d signed on for this series prior to GL selling the franchise , and , how he later came to have concerns about where Luke’s character was being ‘ taken ‘ ....
I think it’s safe to assume that George’s reason for having him there was completely different from Rian’s !

Somewhat different but not eniterly.

"In the book, we learn that one of the first meetings to visualize The Force Awakens happened on January 16, 2013 at Skywalker Ranch with George Lucas himself. Among the pieces presented at the meeting were portraits of an older Luke Skywalker training a new disciple named Kira (who was later renamed Rey). The idea was that, 30 years after the fall of the Empire, Luke had gone to a dark place and secluded himself in a Jedi temple on a new planet. The paintings show Luke meditating, reassessing his whole life.
Apparently, the initial plan for Star Wars: Episode 7 was that Luke, over the course of that movie, would rediscover his vitality and train this new Jedi. So basically, what we got from the Rey/Luke storyline in The Last Jedi was initially supposed to be the bones for George Lucas’ Episode 7."

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Uncle George did WIN .. when he received the 4billion, a majority of that was NOT cash, but in Disney stock, which has increased in value since that deal.... so ....... Uncle George is a majority shareholder in Mickeys House, as well as having cleared Billions in the sale when the writing was on the wall.... George is still the master of HIS universe...... AND OWN s all the props we love, the new archivist is cataloging a NEW collection

NOT a majority shareholder, not even close. About 2%.

Somewhat different but not eniterly.

"In the book, we learn that one of the first meetings to visualize The Force Awakens happened on January 16, 2013 at Skywalker Ranch with George Lucas himself. Among the pieces presented at the meeting were portraits of an older Luke Skywalker training a new disciple named Kira (who was later renamed Rey). The idea was that, 30 years after the fall of the Empire, Luke had gone to a dark place and secluded himself in a Jedi temple on a new planet. The paintings show Luke meditating, reassessing his whole life.
Apparently, the initial plan for Star Wars: Episode 7 was that Luke, over the course of that movie, would rediscover his vitality and train this new Jedi. So basically, what we got from the Rey/Luke storyline in The Last Jedi was initially supposed to be the bones for George Lucas’ Episode 7."

Honestly, I wouldn't have hated that. My beef with Lucas was never his ideas-- he just needs to let other writers and directors flesh out his ideas.

Honestly, I wouldn't have hated that. My beef with Lucas was never his ideas-- he just needs to let other writers and directors flesh out his ideas.
I feel as if Lucas finally found the sweet spot with the clone wars

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don’t know if GL got out while it was good but I do know when Charlie Rose had interviewed him GL said “I sold my baby to white slavers”.I agree with GL on that.

In a post OT world-- yes... though I think Dave Filoni deserves a lot of the credit. I feel like they should be giving him a live action SW film.
I agree. Dave is amazing. He did so much

Yet, rebels pales in comparison.

So as I've said before, having Lucas at the top of the pyramid is really the thing that matters. Even Lawrence kasden and his TFA script was pretty weak without "story by George Lucas"

I feel as if Lucas finally found the sweet spot with the clone wars

In a post OT world-- yes... though I think Dave Filoni deserves a lot of the credit. I feel like they should be giving him a live action SW film.

I don't know if Dave should have a live action film. However, I've very much enjoyed what I've watched of The Clone Wars and Rebels. I don't think that was due to Lucas, though. Lucas' smart move there was -- again -- providing general ideas, and then letting someone else implement them in their own way.

I agree. Dave is amazing. He did so much

Yet, rebels pales in comparison.

So as I've said before, having Lucas at the top of the pyramid is really the thing that matters. Even Lawrence kasden and his TFA script was pretty weak without "story by George Lucas"

I disagree. I think having Lucas in the mix is helpful, but there need to be other equally powerful voices in the discussion, rather than him dictating what happens. Unfiltered, unfettered Lucas is what produced the PT and KOTCS. There are good bits within all of those films, but the films as a whole just aren't that great. At best they're "eh...ok, I guess."

As for Rebels, I'm not even through Season 2, so I can't really comment, but what I saw of Seasons 1 and 2 I loved.

I don't know if Dave should have a live action film. However, I've very much enjoyed what I've watched of The Clone Wars and Rebels. I don't think that was due to Lucas, though. Lucas' smart move there was -- again -- providing general ideas, and then letting someone else implement them in their own way.

I need to nip this one in the bud- George was there for every major decision; a fair bit of the how was left to Dave and the directors, but it all filtered through George. The what and the why all fell to him and his vision. And he always made input and course corrections, no matter the hour.

I need to nip this one in the bud- George was there for every major decision; a fair bit of the how was left to Dave and the directors, but it all filtered through George. The what and the why all fell to him and his vision. And he always made input and course corrections, no matter the hour.
For the overall thrust of things? Sure, I believe that. But for the day to day? I just find it hard to believe that Lucas was telling him exactly what to do for each episode or arc.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back