Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Mr Webber's Avatar
    From
    Terra Australis
    1 Week Ago  Feb 10, 2018, 11:30 PM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #26

Another example of supplemental material that needed to be handed out with the ticket to this movie. Two and half hours of screen time is more than enough to tell everything you need to, this aint no LOTR trilogy by any known measurement standard.
    1 Week Ago  Feb 10, 2018, 11:59 PM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #27

Yes, Uncle George did WIN .. when he received the 4billion, a majority of that was NOT cash, but in Disney stock, which has increased in value since that deal.... so ....... Uncle George is a majority shareholder in Mickeys House, as well as having cleared Billions in the sale when the writing was on the wall.... George is still the master of HIS universe...... AND OWN s all the props we love, the new archivist is cataloging a NEW collection
  3. Member Since
    May 2016
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 1:14 AM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #28

SethS said: View Post
    The TLJ and TFA art books offer a lot of insight. Funny enough, Lucas had Luke in hiding like he is in TLJ in TFA. #yesyourLuke
    Didn’t know that was the plan for Luke by George !
    Is there any further information , or reasons given by GL for having his version of Luke ‘ hiding ‘ there ? Was he hiding in George’s vision ?
    Given that Mark Hamill has stated that he’d signed on for this series prior to GL selling the franchise , and , how he later came to have concerns about where Luke’s character was being ‘ taken ‘ ....
    I think it’s safe to assume that George’s reason for having him there was completely different from Rian’s !
    Last edited by gedmac66; 1 Week Ago at 1:21 AM.
    From
    Scottsdale, AZ
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 11:36 AM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #29

gedmac66 said: View Post
    Didn’t know that was the plan for Luke by George !
    Is there any further information , or reasons given by GL for having his version of Luke ‘ hiding ‘ there ? Was he hiding in George’s vision ?
    Given that Mark Hamill has stated that he’d signed on for this series prior to GL selling the franchise , and , how he later came to have concerns about where Luke’s character was being ‘ taken ‘ ....
    I think it’s safe to assume that George’s reason for having him there was completely different from Rian’s !
    Somewhat different but not eniterly.

"In the book, we learn that one of the first meetings to visualize The Force Awakens happened on January 16, 2013 at Skywalker Ranch with George Lucas himself. Among the pieces presented at the meeting were portraits of an older Luke Skywalker training a new disciple named Kira (who was later renamed Rey). The idea was that, 30 years after the fall of the Empire, Luke had gone to a dark place and secluded himself in a Jedi temple on a new planet. The paintings show Luke meditating, reassessing his whole life.
    Apparently, the initial plan for Star Wars: Episode 7 was that Luke, over the course of that movie, would rediscover his vitality and train this new Jedi. So basically, what we got from the Rey/Luke storyline in The Last Jedi was initially supposed to be the bones for George Lucas’ Episode 7."

- - - Updated - - -

cyclocrosschris said: View Post
    Yes, Uncle George did WIN .. when he received the 4billion, a majority of that was NOT cash, but in Disney stock, which has increased in value since that deal.... so ....... Uncle George is a majority shareholder in Mickeys House, as well as having cleared Billions in the sale when the writing was on the wall.... George is still the master of HIS universe...... AND OWN s all the props we love, the new archivist is cataloging a NEW collection
    NOT a majority shareholder, not even close. About 2%.
    Last edited by Bryancd; 1 Week Ago at 11:43 AM.
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 2:30 PM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #30

Bryancd said: View Post
    Somewhat different but not eniterly.

"In the book, we learn that one of the first meetings to visualize The Force Awakens happened on January 16, 2013 at Skywalker Ranch with George Lucas himself. Among the pieces presented at the meeting were portraits of an older Luke Skywalker training a new disciple named Kira (who was later renamed Rey). The idea was that, 30 years after the fall of the Empire, Luke had gone to a dark place and secluded himself in a Jedi temple on a new planet. The paintings show Luke meditating, reassessing his whole life.
    Apparently, the initial plan for Star Wars: Episode 7 was that Luke, over the course of that movie, would rediscover his vitality and train this new Jedi. So basically, what we got from the Rey/Luke storyline in The Last Jedi was initially supposed to be the bones for George Lucas’ Episode 7."
    Honestly, I wouldn't have hated that. My beef with Lucas was never his ideas-- he just needs to let other writers and directors flesh out his ideas.
    6 Days Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 4:20 PM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #31

Honestly, I wouldn't have hated that. My beef with Lucas was never his ideas-- he just needs to let other writers and directors flesh out his ideas.
    I feel as if Lucas finally found the sweet spot with the clone wars

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    From
    Herald, Kalifornia
    6 Days Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 4:26 PM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #32

I think the Lucas pitch Luke would have been pretty skeletal in similarity to the one we got. I can't see Lucas making a Luke that would be so cynical and mean-spirited.
    Last edited by PantheraGem; 6 Days Ago at 4:53 PM.
  8. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    6 Days Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 5:07 PM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #33

I don’t know if GL got out while it was good but I do know when Charlie Rose had interviewed him GL said “I sold my baby to white slavers”.I agree with GL on that.
    From
    Pacific NW
    6 Days Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 6:31 PM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #34

ALLEY said: View Post

I am happy to see that he's been able to make the smaller--more persona films--that he said he would be doing now that he has not been burdened by "The Star Wars Soap Opera"

https://youtu.be/j4z3xv2l9_k
    i intentionally avoid clicking on youtube videos from these threads but i had to click on this one. funny stuff because i hate "unboxing videos".
    thanks for the laugh.
    From
    Los Angeles
    6 Days Ago  Feb 11, 2018, 10:40 PM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #35

astroboy said: View Post

In a post OT world-- yes... though I think Dave Filoni deserves a lot of the credit. I feel like they should be giving him a live action SW film.
  11. RPF Premium Member astroboy's Avatar
    6 Days Ago  Feb 12, 2018, 7:54 AM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #36

In a post OT world-- yes... though I think Dave Filoni deserves a lot of the credit. I feel like they should be giving him a live action SW film.
    I agree. Dave is amazing. He did so much

Yet, rebels pales in comparison.

So as I've said before, having Lucas at the top of the pyramid is really the thing that matters. Even Lawrence kasden and his TFA script was pretty weak without "story by George Lucas"

From
    Beaverton, Oregon
    5 Days Ago  Feb 12, 2018, 11:14 PM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #37

AnubisGuard said: View Post
    Okay, see, you can't say stuff like that and then not expand on it.
    My NDA still says that I can, and will for a long damn time (plus, though doubtful, bits could pop up in other areas)
    5 Days Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 9:14 AM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #38

I don't know if Dave should have a live action film. However, I've very much enjoyed what I've watched of The Clone Wars and Rebels. I don't think that was due to Lucas, though. Lucas' smart move there was -- again -- providing general ideas, and then letting someone else implement them in their own way.

So as I've said before, having Lucas at the top of the pyramid is really the thing that matters. Even Lawrence kasden and his TFA script was pretty weak without "story by George Lucas"

I disagree. I think having Lucas in the mix is helpful, but there need to be other equally powerful voices in the discussion, rather than him dictating what happens. Unfiltered, unfettered Lucas is what produced the PT and KOTCS. There are good bits within all of those films, but the films as a whole just aren't that great. At best they're "eh...ok, I guess."

As for Rebels, I'm not even through Season 2, so I can't really comment, but what I saw of Seasons 1 and 2 I loved.
    From
    Beaverton, Oregon
    4 Days Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 7:50 PM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #39

Solo4114 said: View Post
    I don't know if Dave should have a live action film. However, I've very much enjoyed what I've watched of The Clone Wars and Rebels. I don't think that was due to Lucas, though. Lucas' smart move there was -- again -- providing general ideas, and then letting someone else implement them in their own way.
    I need to nip this one in the bud- George was there for every major decision; a fair bit of the how was left to Dave and the directors, but it all filtered through George. The what and the why all fell to him and his vision. And he always made input and course corrections, no matter the hour.
    4 Days Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 8:24 PM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #40

Clerval said: View Post
    I need to nip this one in the bud- George was there for every major decision; a fair bit of the how was left to Dave and the directors, but it all filtered through George. The what and the why all fell to him and his vision. And he always made input and course corrections, no matter the hour.
    For the overall thrust of things? Sure, I believe that. But for the day to day? I just find it hard to believe that Lucas was telling him exactly what to do for each episode or arc.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    From
    Beaverton, Oregon
    4 Days Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 8:27 PM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #41

Solo4114 said: View Post
    For the overall thrust of things? Sure, I believe that. But for the day to day? I just find it hard to believe that Lucas was telling him exactly what to do for each episode or arc.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    They had a good relationship and Dave had a lot of leeway, but George was there a couple of times a week, and as needed.
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Days Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 11:07 PM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #42

For the first 2 years of Clone Wars, yes. For its latervepisodes and Rebels, much less so.
  18. Universal Greeblie RPF Premium Member Jedifyfe's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Days Ago  Feb 13, 2018, 11:10 PM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #43

$4,000,000,000 says YES....
    From
    Pacific NW
    4 Days Ago  Feb 14, 2018, 12:34 AM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #44

4 point whatever Billion was a damn shrewd sales decision, eh?
  20. RPF Premium Member Mr Webber's Avatar
    From
    Terra Australis
    4 Days Ago  Feb 14, 2018, 12:38 AM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #45

I always prefer to think of it as Four Thousand Million Dollars. Four Billion doesnt give it the scope it deserves.
  21. Member Since
    Mar 2014
    4 Days Ago  Feb 14, 2018, 3:02 AM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #46

in my eyes he undone all his work with the ridiculous spinning light sabers that could help people fly. If that was his idea that is.
    From
    Palo Alto, CA
    4 Days Ago  Feb 14, 2018, 6:23 AM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #47

Lucas was a genius in 1977 with Star Wars. But it’s humor and humanity came from his ex-wife. ESB was a great chase movie that had the benefit of GL’s imagination but it was driven by the sensibility of a mainstream action director. RotG basically showed Lucas being completely sick of the franchise. That movie was tired and off the rails. Decades later came the prequels. They unveiled GL’s modern bloated and unfettered storytelling ability when surrounded by people too afraid to keep him in check.

Once upon a time there was a young George Lucas who built ANH with the passion and purity of an art house director - one who loved film and drew from Kurosawa, Ford and Campbell. In contrast the prequels turned Star Wars into a giant engine for showcasing ILM’s CGI.

Did GL get out while the gettin was good?

I don’t know but I think Star Wars is fortunate enough to have gotten away from Lucas before he ran it completely into the ground.
    Last edited by dascoyne; 4 Days Ago at 6:46 AM.
    4 Days Ago  Feb 14, 2018, 6:48 AM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #48

dascoyne said: View Post
    Lucas was a genius in 1977 with Star Wars. But it’s humor and humanity came from his ex-wife. ESB was a great chase movie that had the benefit of GL’s imagination but it was driven by the sensibility of a mainstream action director. RotG basically showed Lucas being completely sick of the franchise. The movie is tired and off the rails. Decades later came the prequels. They unveiled GL’s modern bloated and unfettered storytelling ability when surrounded by people too afraid to keep him in check.
    This times 10.
    I like ROTJ, but the seams are there clearly. In a way I think TFA is a better sequel than ROTJ, then again there are parts of ROTJ that I like more than the whole of TFA. But yes, ROTJ was not just the business mentality but there were a lots of "artistic" elements that went full-blown in the PT, like boring shot-reverse-shot conversations, walking and talking, then stopping and turning around and talking, etc. That scene between Vader and Luke is directed exactly as 70% of the dialogue scenes in the PT. Not to mention that Han and Leia has literally nothing to do for most of the movie and they pretty much just stand beside a bunker door for the third act.
    And let's not forget that other than Marcia Lucas and Irvin Kershner there was Gary Kurtz who was very much responsible for ANH and ESB. He was gone by ROTJ for the exact difference in approach that this topic is about.

Once upon a time there was a young George Lucas who built ANH with the passion and purity of an art house director - one who loved film and drew from Kurosawa, Ford and Campbell. In contrast the prequels turned Star Wars into a giant engine for showcasing ILM’s CGI.

I don’t know but I think Star Wars is fortunate enough to have gotten away from Lucas before he ran it completely into the ground.
    Totally with you on this as well. I'm more and more convinced that the prequels (other than obviously the guaranteed ticket sales and merch at the time) were more like a massive demo reel for ILM. Back in the day the main purpose of ILM seemed to create the visuals for Star Wars and then later to grow as a company for other filmmakers as well. With the PT it seems to me that the boundaries of digital effects were pushed in order to demonstrate for other filmmakers that this service is available and how it looks. There was even a line from George when they were in pre-production of TPM to ILM guys that "we not only need to think about how we're going to realize it for this movie but how we can keep it up because then everyone else will want to have it" or something along those lines.
    Last edited by sztriki; 4 Days Ago at 7:41 AM.
    From
    London, England, UK
    4 Days Ago  Feb 14, 2018, 7:46 AM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #49

Lucas was a genius in 1977 with Star Wars. But itís humor and humanity came from his ex-wife. ESB was a great chase movie that had the benefit of GLís imagination but it was driven by the sensibility of a mainstream action director. RotG basically showed Lucas being completely sick of the franchise. That movie was tired and off the rails. Decades later came the prequels. They unveiled GLís modern bloated and unfettered storytelling ability when surrounded by people too afraid to keep him in check.

Once upon a time there was a young George Lucas who built ANH with the passion and purity of an art house director - one who loved film and drew from Kurosawa, Ford and Campbell. In contrast the prequels turned Star Wars into a giant engine for showcasing ILMís CGI.

I donít know but I think Star Wars is fortunate enough to have gotten away from Lucas before he ran it completely into the ground.
    Stars wars fortunate to have got away from lucas? Absolute rubbish.

Without lucas, what you get instead is a bunch of amateurs and hacks who only know how to copy and paste and repackage the old stuff as new.

The last jedi was a pile of horse dung, a corporate puke on the legacy of characters like luke skywalker, so much that mark hamill was embarrased by the way the hack rhian johnson destroyed the mythology.

Jar jar abrams is another hack also with his farce awakens.

Lucas was right to get rid. He doesnt have to deal with internet whingers who cried like babies and who lack respect for the man who created it all.

Without george lucas, the special effects industry probably would have been set back by at least a decade.

It was his idea for ILM to bring special effects to new standards. He deserves a lot more credit than people give him.

The fact he owned all his own work really pissed off many in hollywood.

If it wasnt for the whingers im sure he wouldnt have sold out to disney. He woukd have kept everything.

The only reason he sold to disney was because he always viewed disney highly as a child, and in a naive way believed they would treat his work with respect, but he failed to realise what disney has become today, a corporation that doesnt give a crap about anything other than the quick buck.

The white slaver comments pretty much sum up everything what he thinks.

Ironically Kathleen kennedy the palpatine hidden sith truly will run star wars into the ground quicker than george ever could.
    4 Days Ago  Feb 14, 2018, 9:07 AM - Re: Did Lucas get out while the gettin was good? #50

airair said: View Post
    Stars wars fortunate to have got away from lucas? Absolute rubbish.

Without lucas, what you get instead is a bunch of amateurs and hacks who only know how to copy and paste and repackage the old stuff as new.
    Which was quite the case with the prequels too.

The last jedi was a pile of horse dung, a corporate puke on the legacy of characters like luke skywalker, so much that mark hamill was embarrased by the way the hack rhian johnson destroyed the mythology.
    No argument there really, but this was quite the case with the prequels and the OT Special Editions. too.

Lucas was right to get rid. He doesnt have to deal with internet whingers who cried like babies and who lack respect for the man who created it all.

Without george lucas, the special effects industry probably would have been set back by at least a decade.

It was his idea for ILM to bring special effects to new standards. He deserves a lot more credit than people give him.

The fact he owned all his own work really pissed off many in hollywood.

If it wasnt for the whingers im sure he wouldnt have sold out to disney. He woukd have kept everything.
    No argument again on his effect and importance on Hollywood. But the so-called internet whingers were doing exactly with the PT what you're doing about TFA and TLJ.

The only reason he sold to disney was because he always viewed disney highly as a child, and in a naive way believed they would treat his work with respect, but he failed to realise what disney has become today, a corporation that doesnt give a crap about anything other than the quick buck.
    The white slaver comments pretty much sum up everything what he thinks.
    I'm pretty sure he had no illusions about Disney's corporate approach being a businessman himself and having worked closely with Disney over the years. I mean I'm pretty sure it wasn't an artistic vision from George to go with a Darth Vader and the Troopers Dance Show at Disneylands and that was way before he sold. I also agree he probably thought he would be a bit of an ťminence grise after the Disney deal then were pretty much sent away with a thank-you-card.

But all in all people tend to forget that before the Disney-era in the late 90s and early 2000s the book of "What Could Have Been Great" was being written by Lucas. I do think it would have been right for SW to get away from Lucas, but that doesn't mean it's in good hands with Disney from an artistic point of view.