NEW (OLD) MILLENNIUM FALCON from SOLO the movie

AFAIK there have not been any Falcon re-scalings in the OT movies. There have been one or two online clips of fans altering the footage but nothing on a Lucasfilm release.

This pic of the two Falcon set sizes is from the early concept stuff leaked for TFA. 72% versus 100% doesn't sound like a huge difference, but it is.

View attachment 798204

For my money, the "real" Falcon is not necessarily the bigger interior set size. Lucas didn't want the ship too big & luxurious. He wanted it to feel kind of cramped like a WWII bomber. And Hollywood will enlarge an interior set just as often as they shrink an exterior. IMO a "real" Falcon would be more like splitting the difference between the interior & exterior sizes we see. That, and altering some of the interior shaping to make it agree with the outside.

For my money, the "real" Falcon is not necessarily the bigger interior set size. Lucas didn't want the ship too big & luxurious. He wanted it to feel kind of cramped like a WWII bomber. And Hollywood will enlarge an interior set just as often as they shrink an exterior. IMO a "real" Falcon would be more like splitting the difference between the interior & exterior sizes we see. That, and altering some of the interior shaping to make it agree with the outside.

I think for it to make sense as a freighter, and to allow the sort of systemry even the existing set structures (not necessarily the exact layout) require means going with the current scaling of the 5-footer that's the official length, etc. Any smaller and the underfloor smuggling compartments won't fit, the tube corridors of that height won't fit, etc. Just because it's bigger doesn't necessarily mean that internal volume is given over to living space and creature comforts. From the four cockpit seats and presuming a nominal four-being crew under civilian operations, there's got to be accommodation for the crew. So. Separate berths? Two-person bunkrooms? With a shared head between? Galley space? Are all the bunks set up for medical use, or was that an additional medbay Luke was in at the end of ESB?

I know George didn't put thought like that into it, but I still feel verisimilitude is the scaffolding for believability in a fictional setting. Part of why I'm so irked it seems hyperspace travel takes even less time now that in the OT or PT. I can totally get behind the Falcon being a tramp steamer. I can accept conceits like artificial gravity and hyperdense power generation systems (that reduce how much space the engines have to take up). But the human form as nominal scaling reference requires some bare-minimum consideration. I adopted this as my "headcanon" Falcon some years back:

mm-mf.jpg

...And as things like the Behind the Macig CD-ROM came out, and as we've gotten these new films, I've idly poked at revising little things here and there to make it better fit the "official" layout, as far as enginery and bunkspace and such. With the PG Falcon out, and me hoping for an ESB version, I've started actively working on that. Solo is potentially adding some interesting new possibilities. The two main things are that I've turned the portside airlock into the main boarding vestibule. The top hatch is there, access to the main shirtsleeves hold, and thence access to the portside "cold hold". The boarding ramp we see used in the films is the "auxiliary" ingress, for lower-tech worlds where the standardized hard-dock isn't available. I kept the ceiling-and-floor-mounted tractor guides for small modules to be taken aboard through a slightly-differently-laid-out forward loading dock than the above (making use of the hatches to the sides of the jawbox alcove, rather than the visible forward hull panel). I've altered those hatches slightly to be more person-accommodating (figure it's how Han got to where he's standing in that ESB pic). I figure, if nothing else, when one of these YT's is pushing a big module, it might on occasion be necessary to check on it without going EVA.

So, if that is the auxiliary craft of the toy we seeing being entered in the trailer via the full-height doorway, I'm fine attributing that to the "a certain point of view" of the rest of the Falcon depicted in the films versus how it would have to be laid out to actually fit in the ship we have. If we already have to accept that the boarding ramp can't possibly hinge where it does and still open into a ring corridor and not the gunwells, if we have to accept that the gunwell ladder can't possibly be positioned/oriented as shown, if we have to accept that the ring corridor can't possibly meet the crew day room at the angle it does, etc., then this is just one more. :)

--Jonah

How many of the MF's interior/exterior fitment problems boil down to vertical clearance issues? I would say a ton of them. Maybe the outside of the ship was just a bit too streamlined for its own good, like how the snowspeeders barely gave the actors anywhere for their legs down below. We don't deal with that issue by declaring the snowspeeders were all under-scaled. We acknowledge that the original design was more artistic than practical and leave it at that.

I just consider "THE" Falcon to be some hybrid of all the different ways we've seen it. Exterior, interior, and ILM model. I think it's kind of arbitrary to call the ILM model and the interiors canon and disregard the exterior shells. Lucas was picturing a WWII bomber which is a rather cramped ride. The Rinzler book mentions him being annoyed when he found out that Gary Kurtz had the cabin enlarged for ESB. In Lucas's mind there was such a thing as a Falcon that was too big.

How did they decide what portion of the Falcon exterior to build for ANH? It was not written in stone that "Thall shalt build one side of the entire ship." They built about 60% of an 82-foot long version. To get speculative for a moment, is there any reason why they couldn't have built 40% of a 114-foot exterior instead? I don't see why not. But Lucas was evidently satisfied with the visual of an 82-foot version. I think that needs to at least be considered when deciding on a "real" size.

IMO a hypothetical real size of 100 feet is a nice round number. In between the two set sizes, erring a bit closer to the larger one. I could vote for that.

I can understand that for a movie you want to have 'headroom' on the sets to maintain a sense of full scale and not be too distracting a detail for the average filmgoer even when something is supposed to be in cramped conditions, like the cockpit. Quite often in movies when filming aboard a boat for instance when we follow a character below decks the interior set seems massive compared to the boat they're supposed to be on. So for production reasons its quite often better to make interiors a little larger to avoid wide angle lens distortions, just as one example. In real life for anyone who's lived aboard boats for any length of time, headroom of say 5' in some areas below decks is common and not really an issue.
I would say if one was to reconcile the exterior to interior sets, to keep in mind, and to repeat what batguy said, that Lucas envisioned the Falcon as a cramped ship. For instance the Falcon's crew quarters seen in ESB where Leia attends to Luke after his rescue at Bespin is thought to be in the rear port quarter toward the outside of the ship where a low headroom would be expected and despite the actual set having heaps of headroom Lucas kept a tight shot of Luke and Leia and had Fisher act as though she were stooping as she turned away (even with her short statue) to portray the cramped conditions one would expect to find in that part of the ship.
So one shouldn't get too bogged down with headroom issues seen on a set and particularly out towards the extremities where one would expect to find low headroom with sloping bulkheads and rising keels.

Found some more book pics with some minor differences between them.

Attachments

• smf1.jpg
    smf1.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 267
  • smf2.jpg
    smf2.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 261
Yay, another small model disguised as a toy, which is also is not in any established scale, nor is it in scale with any of their other models they may be releasing for the movie:facepalm

If I am going to be doing work to accurize/detail it like every Revell kit seems to require, I might as well convert the MPC for a 1./72 version or a Bandai 1/144. :thumbsdown

Well, at first glance anyway, it looks fairly accurate to the movie version. But I don't know the movie version very well, of course. I wonder if Bandai will make one.

I guess with a new paint job it may be adequate until something more crisp comes along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess with a new paint job it may be adequate until something more crisp comes along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep I'm waiting for Bandai's version,with revell inaccurate thick sidewalls + thicker panels on the new falcon, she looks fat :rolleyes anyway as long as the escape pod remain attached to the front mandibles, this model looks okay to me

csm_06767__D_02_MILLENNIUM_FALCON_8b8da29a42.jpgcsm_06767__M_02_P_W_MILLENNIUM_FALCON_2679405a50.jpgcsm_06767__S_M_P_W_MILLENNIUM_FALCON_21bf25eba5.jpgcsm_06767__K_P_W_MILLENNIUM_FALCON_5f4d305fb6.jpgcsm_06767__D_03_MILLENNIUM_FALCON_d2153a9167.jpgcsm_06767__KA_P_W_MILLENNIUM_FALCON_27728ba6da.jpgcsm_06767__D_04_MILLENNIUM_FALCON_4932806782.jpgcsm_06767__KR_P_W_MILLENNIUM_FALCON_c17afad0cf.jpgcsm_06767__I_MILLENNIUM_FALCON_24b601cca2.jpgma_solobooks02-01.jpeg

Attachments

• csm_06767__D_01_MILLENNIUM_FALCON_fc43b5efce.jpg
    csm_06767__D_01_MILLENNIUM_FALCON_fc43b5efce.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Man, Revell constantly clings on a to thick falcon! What is happening at the company? "Hey, we have new data of the Solo-Falcon! - Okay, lets produce it, but put some extra height to the sidewalls, because they are thicker at our old models too,,,!"

Hey, Revell, just watch the Renault-Commercial at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTLBPpEdYnU :

07.jpg08.jpg06.jpg05.jpg04.jpg

, nor is it in scale with any of their other models they may be releasing for the movie

It is in scale with the Light & Sound Falcon model toy they made for TFA.

The Imperial Speeders look even worse than Rey's flying USB stick.

However, I must admit, I kinda like the idea of turning a Ford into a "Back to the Future" fyling car. Yep, I see several similarities between Han's Speeder and a Ford... Should that be an Easter Egg? A Ford driven by a Not-Ford? ;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back