NEW (OLD) MILLENNIUM FALCON from SOLO the movie

Looking at the model the woman is holding, the nose appears to be some sort of cover plating. Maybe the nose pops off at one point of the film?

I'm not thrilled that they used the Fine Molds as their basis for the prototype. Hopefully when they made the actual digital asset they started with the TFA asset based on the 5-footer and retrofitted it from there.

Please indulge my horrible attempt at artistry, but is the cockpit set outboard as much as what we're used to seeing? It typically "dangles" outside the ship somewhat, yes? What first struck me as odd, was that the outside edge of the new mandibles look to come together at an angle that's too acute, but since it meets at the cockpit on the one side, that's kind of a fixed dimension...unless the cockpit is in a slightly different spot.

Am I all wet on this? And if this has already been covered ad nauseum, please disregard (but still let me know what you all decided). :)

New "inboard" cockpit
websolo_Poster%202.jpg

old "outboard" cockpit
falcon4.jpg

???
falcon1.jpg

Attachments

• falcon2.gif
    falcon2.gif
    117.9 KB · Views: 212
It bothers me because there are no clear lines where the front would detach, if it was a cargo section. It seems like the nose is going to have to be torn off and rebuilt. You wouldn't think they could have screwed up the Falcon, but when Disney is in charge anything is possible.
Maybe this may help explain how it attaches. I posted on a different thread. If you look closely you can see the overlap on the jaw boxes.
7d95faf17aeae099b266691e049ba486.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Please indulge my horrible attempt at artistry, but is the cockpit set outboard as much as what we're used to seeing? It typically "dangles" outside the ship somewhat, yes? What first struck me as odd, was that the outside edge of the new mandibles look to come together at an angle that's too acute, but since it meets at the cockpit on the one side, that's kind of a fixed dimension...unless the cockpit is in a slightly different spot.

Am I all wet on this? And if this has already been covered ad nauseum, please disregard (but still let me know what you all decided). :)

Now you have a point! the new cockpit is "inside" the saucer...

27751627_10213786599518070_6632672638409583520_na.jpg

Isn't one of the points of a movie to see how a character or situation changes from the beginning to the end of the movie? Since the Falcon is so iconic and they chose to have it starting with an obviously different look, I have to think part of the plot covers how the Falcon goes from that new look to the iconic look.

However I would be surprised if the 5/3/5 landing gear change is part of that. I view that as just being a practical change to the set which resulted in a change to the model.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I don't care so much about explaining how it is canon or not, but from a sheer aesthetic point of view, a really don't like it. It has taken everything I love about the falcon, which include the many layers of greeblies along the side walls and on the back deck and erased or covered them up. It has simplified the design to a flat piece of pizza.

I could care less if Han beats it up or modifies it. It's visually not interesting at all anymore. It was supposed to be a used boiler plate universe, and that's what made them look cool. Like when the clone wars put panels on the Y-wings and covered everything that was cool about it to begin with. I can't stand that version of the Y.

Well, I think that the presence of those covering panels all around the ship ("factory released") has much more sense than having everything exposed :lol. I think too that we will have an explanation of how the ship ended "ripped off" as we knew it and love. ;)

I don't care so much about explaining how it is canon or not, but from a sheer aesthetic point of view, a really don't like it. It has taken everything I love about the falcon, which include the many layers of greeblies along the side walls and on the back deck and erased or covered them up. It has simplified the design to a flat piece of pizza.

I could care less if Han beats it up or modifies it. It's visually not interesting at all anymore. It was supposed to be a used boiler plate universe, and that's what made them look cool. Like when the clone wars put panels on the Y-wings and covered everything that was cool about it to begin with. I can't stand that version of the Y.

The entire galaxy shouldn't be at the same level of being beat up and used. The Death Star sets looked pretty clean and shiny. Alderaan and Cloud City look much better than places like Tatooine.

Starting with a sleaker, cleaner version of the Falcon when Lando owns it makes sense. It may still be old underneath with coverings to give the impression that Lando is more well off than he really is. It may all be part of a scam he is running.

The entire galaxy shouldn't be at the same level of being beat up and used. The Death Star sets looked pretty clean and shiny. Alderaan and Cloud City look much better than places like Tatooine.

Starting with a sleaker, cleaner version of the Falcon when Lando owns it makes sense. It may still be old underneath with coverings to give the impression that Lando is more well off than he really is. It may all be part of a scam he is running.

I totally get that, but like I said, just from any aesthetic point of view, no story line, just looking at the ship, they've made it unintresting. Just my opinion. My son said the exact same thing when he saw it "what the pizza"! Some pretty cool scenes from the trailer were were subdued for me looking at the ship. I'm not a hater of anything new star wars. I have high hopes for the movie.

Any idea when we might hear from Bandai about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be so surprised if they didn’t release a kit of this version. I just really hope it’s 1/144 and not smaller. Will be buying it regardless but that would be the sweet spot for me (considering it’s nigh impossible Bandai will make a 1/72 one).

Totally hear yah.

Maybe a different perspective; we have talked here how the Falcon is really it's own character. As such, I expect to see character growth and aging from experiences :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I hope the movie helps bridge the gap between the old and new falcon for me. New being the old one of course. [emoji6] Right now I'm just not feeling it.

Having the Falcon have components of the Ralph McQuarrie design doesn't make sense to me. The Falcon we know and love was never that design. They are two different ships entirely to me, so trying to somehow bridge them together didn't work in my OCD mind. I hope the movie proves me wrong though.

Damn it, I love it. I can't wait to build one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Same here.

Love the McQuarrie design aspects.

Might pick up 2.
One for the Solo movie build and another for a more McQuarrie style build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cockpit hasn't moved, the whole ship has been re-panneled,....look how low the turret is.....& the walkways to them,.....All the Falcon needs to do is shed all the extra layers,....the original bird is still there

Below: The Solo Falcon concept model which is the FineMolds 1/72 modified & an image of the FM 1/72 un modded

attachment.php

J
attachment.php

J

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 18.06.18.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 18.06.18.png
    490.7 KB · Views: 2,122
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 22.52.09.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 22.52.09.png
    730.1 KB · Views: 1,563
If it's not explained in the movie, I'm just going to assume at some point someone, perhaps Han, crashes the front of the Falcon into something, and has to have it rebuilt. At which point it's rebuilt but without the fancy nose piece. Gotta imagine it might be cheaper to replace the nose without the middle.

In a weird way I am glad they went for the add on nose piece- at least this ship looks distinctively different instead of just an altered paint job.
I do not care for the look of it though- it takes that raw mechanical power the two mandibles gave it. I also think the mandibles were meant to hold a cargo module which makes the offset cockpit and antenna logical- with this design th eonly cargo the Falcon carried would have to be loaded by carrying it up the access ramp.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back