Evil Dead Chainsaw(s) Build... Groovy Part 2! DONE!!

Re: Evil Dead Chainsaw(s) Build... Groovy Part 2!

While it my not be 100% accurate saw, it's absolutely usable! I've seen lot people use the metal bar/handle for their saws and most of the back is removed anyway so that's not really an issue. Is there a better pic of the muffler? I can't really tell about that.

-B89!

That XL is close enough, I reckkon. Unless you're super determined to have everything spot-on. Visually, the black side handle is near identical but one is a metal tube, the other is plastic. The gas/fuel logos on the side aren't really that noticeable. You may be able to purchase the correct caps on ebay. Otherwise someone here might be able to reproduce them in resin.

The muffler, if I recall has a square shaped shroud over it to stop people touching a hot muffler. The muffler underneath may well be accurate - you'll just need to take a good look to check. The shroud is held on by 3 or 4 smalls welds and you should be able to dremel these off and them grind the welds flush. You have bright metal in those places, so you'll just have to darken those.

I have the aluminium body Super 2 which exhibits similar issues, but that won't stop me building a good chainsaw :) Besides, there's lots of inconsistencies in the EDII chainsaw itself so you need to go for your version of accurate.

Well said! Thanks for chiming in!

-B89!

That XL is close enough, I reckkon. Unless you're super determined to have everything spot-on. Visually, the black side handle is near identical but one is a metal tube, the other is plastic. The gas/fuel logos on the side aren't really that noticeable. You may be able to purchase the correct caps on ebay. Otherwise someone here might be able to reproduce them in resin.

The muffler, if I recall has a square shaped shroud over it to stop people touching a hot muffler. The muffler underneath may well be accurate - you'll just need to take a good look to check. The shroud is held on by 3 or 4 smalls welds and you should be able to dremel these off and them grind the welds flush. You have bright metal in those places, so you'll just have to darken those.

I have the aluminium body Super 2 which exhibits similar issues, but that won't stop me building a good chainsaw :) Besides, there's lots of inconsistencies in the EDII chainsaw itself so you need to go for your version of accurate.

Here's the latest update... I've thought it might be a good idea to show how the modified motor fits in the body. Nice and roomy!
FullSizeRender(3) copy.jpg

I got the handle cut and fitted on the aluminum strip and replace the pull cord grip as well... These will be stain and weathered later.
IMG_7302.JPG

Moving right along!

-B89!

they're coming along nicely. Fantastic work on the motor!

Thank you! Yeah, that motor takes quite a bit of effort but it's worth it! ;)

Making progress! Now it's starting to look like an Ash special! ;)

FullSizeRender(3) copy 3.jpgFullSizeRender(3) copy 2.jpg

More to come so stay tuned!

If you're building one or have a completed saw, PLEASE feel free to show it off here!!

Thanks!
-B89!

This is where I'm at so far. Not pictured: grille and bar which are lying around elsewhere.

chainsaw1.jpg

Here's the latest... The grill and cuffs are painted and ready to go! I will be out of town on business all next week but once I get back I'll be starting the final assembly and weathering! Woohoo!! As a bonus, I will be building a display base as well. Not a really difficult build but I feel like it add a nice finishing touch for a ED Saw display.

FullSizeRender(3) copy 4.jpg

So stay tuned!!
-B89!

Finally back in action on this bad boy!... Got the grill and caps epoxied in place... The oil and gas containers were trimmed down quite a bit. You only really need a small section of the top part of each container to allow the cap to be screwed on and epoxy in place. Moving on to the muffler installation next!
FullSizeRender(3).jpgFullSizeRender(3) copy 5.jpg

We're getting close!!!

-B89!

Here's a pic showing how much of the oil and gas containers I left so I can epoxy them in place.
IMG_7684.JPG

I decided to remold the piece I used for my first build for the muffler setup. I originally molded this from the motor I during my first build and while it makes it a little tight getting your hand inside the saw, I like the "realistic" look!
IMG_7686.JPGIMG_7692.JPG

I'll be casting these up tomorrow! Stay tuned!

-B89!

Finished up the muffler/engine assembly today!... WOOHOO!!! With using the cast piece of the motor this makes fitting your hand in the saw VERY tight! Being that I'm planning to use mine mainly as a display piece so it's fine for me. ;) If you are planning to wear it I would make the back section of the motor from a sheet of styrene to keep it as thin as possible. I may be building one just to have it on hand! (See what I did there?? LOL!)

Now, one with this pics!
IMG_7727(1).PNGIMG_7726.PNGIMG_7721.JPGIMG_7719.JPG

Getting really close. gang!

-B89!

OK, this marks the completion of the fabrication stage! WOOT!!! Once again it's on to my favorite part... weathering and final assembly!! Once the saw is completed I'll start on the display base.
EDS19.jpgEDS20.jpgEDS21.jpgEDS22.jpg

REALLY getting close now!! ;)
-B89!

Thanks! I'm planning to build a section of the wooden floor from the cabin as a base. I did this first the first saw I built in my original thread. (The link is in the first post here)

-B89!

Hey, folks. Sorry for the slow response.

First and foremost, your saw build looks amazing. Just like your last build, this one is inspiring. It seriously makes me want to dive back into my own build.

Secondly, going back to my last post, you are all right the saw model I bought could easily be used to make a quality saw-hand. It has the general look and the general parts. I’m sure I’ll turn it into a costume saw at some point.

That being said...

I still think it would be cool if those of us in the ED prop community approached the saw-hand like some other communities approach their iconic props. Like I said, there are some builders who have four different Luke Skywalker lightsabers because of the different saber configurations in different scenes. Not only do they have different builds, but they also know all of the specific part numbers and manufacturers for the parts, and they’ve called 60 different surplus shops trying to find those vintage parts.

I think thats cool.

And, more importantly, I think that’s something we could do as saw builders. We could take 4K screen grabs of the saw bar, compare it to brand-specific bars from the time of filming, and figure out what brand the screen-used bar was. We could break down the individual parts used on the Homelite XL for posterity. We could measure and model the metal strips used to attach the cuff to the saw.

To keep with my lightsaber analogy, there are several different saw-hands to break down. There’s the ED2 cabin saw, the ED2 shed saw, the “Army of Darkness” saw, the “Ash vs. Evil Dead” saw. They all have unique characteristics and unique build requirements.

Now, before I come across like too much of a nerd, the only reason I’m being so pushy in this particular thread is because it has attracted the attention of the best saw builders. With all of that knowledge, drive, and experience we could come up with some truly great builds. On top of that, we could innovate the saw-hand build process, and turn some heads.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back