Not another Zvezda Star Destroyer...

Burbosa

Aye! It is. Enjoy!
So after reading all the threads about them, I finally went out and bought one. So this is my first model in 37 years. I once built a model plane as a child. That being said... people like gt350pony66, Escape068, INVAR, Omnius/Dubz (just to name a few... and there are a lot!), have inspired to such an extent I have begun to believe that I could "possibly" make a decent ISD. So I bought a bunch of different sizes of plastic rod, sheets, and strips, a couple of battleship New Jersey detail sets (they were missing parts so I got it cheaply!) a couple of 700 scale ships and here I am. So I am a total noob to this. my small detail work isn't the greatest but I'll get better. ;)

Pointers, comments, and of course pics of your destroyers are most welcome.

First up the Conning Tower tractor beam array. I have a Green-strawberry detail kit coming as well. Yep, the tower will be upright on the model. Here you can see the ladders that I chopped up for it as well as bit of costume jewelry for the center. i was doing to use a small dome but the faceted look will go well with the shield towers.

ConTower1.JPGConTower2.JPGConTower3.JPG

Nice to see this project off and running

Don't worry about being a "noob". Much of model building is really about determination and simple techniques.

You've got the determination to build and techniques can be easily picked up by watching other builds like those you mentioned

Welcome to the forum mate , and thanks for sharing your build . Nice intricate work there .
Totally agree with you regarding the inspiring threads out here - which finally convinced me to order one of these late last night .

Thing is , it’ll be awhile before I start working on it ( even after it gets here ) cause I’m still middling my way through my Deago Millennium Falcon Build ! - reason I first joined up .

That’s the ‘ curse ‘ of visiting - then later signing up to a place such as this ! It draws you in with incredible , beautiful , detailed works of art to aspire to ... with usually obliging creators of such , generously offering their knowledge, experience and encouragement as well !

Before you know it , you’re out searching for , and purchasing items for products / projects you thought you only had a passing interest in ... stockpiling it all ... to work on ..... one day ! - at least that’s how it’s turning out for me !:lol

Anyhoo , look forward on your take of this model , and wishing you the best ,

:cheersGed

Last edited:
YAY! Another build that is just beginning and has not finished yet! Goodie!

I feel like a turtle in a race that was over last week.

WELCOME! I hope you will find, as I am finding - detailing this kit is an immense JOY, even if it is taking the better part of a year just custom cutting/gluing/molding billions and billions and billions of greeblies and drilling and drilling and drilling thousands of .030 holes for the purpose of running miles and miles and miles of fiber to light this beauty.

Having seen other builds come together and finished has been a tremendous motivation to keep plodding along - and of course all the techniques and methods have helped provide so many ideas and skills I had never employed before.

It looks like you are on a great start with those PE parts for the tower beam array. I will say that getting brass into position where it is not glued flat to the surface (ladders/cranes etc.) has likely been my most problematic given the need to use superglue while holding the part where I want it with tweezers.

Then again you can get nuts and crazy like me and imprison yourself in a never-ending loop of detailing.

Porttrenchgreebs.jpgportgreebs2.jpg

Wecome Bubosa! This kit is a joy to build but even more to modify. While it looks great even straight out of the box, like INVAR states, you can easily find yourself going down a rabbit hole with detail parts; there are so many aftermarket vendors for both photoetch & 3D printing, not to mention buying tons of Evergreen styrene strips, rods, tubes, sheets, etc. Lighting the thing deserves it's own forum section alone. And if you don't have a spares bin for your greeblies, you will, trust me lol!

But that's part of the appeal. ;)

We look forward to your build. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Welcome!

There are plenty of resources and pictures on this site for reference so you can create the best possible build for your SD

Off to a great start.....Looking forward to seeing the progress of your SD build!

Well thank you one and all for the great greeting. So I was on the fence about the conning tower. I will be modeling it upright so I ordered a conning tower from Shapeways as manufactured by Cosmos Models.

So here is the thing. I have seen a few with the stock part in the upright position and it struck me as being a bit too large. Well the Cosmos replacement part is smaller just by a bit. Looking for your thoughts on this. It might be too small... I just don’t know. IMG_0521.JPGIMG_0522.JPG

Oh and build progress is slow. Broke my hand pretty good so slow and steady. On with the photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just spoke with Nicolas, the creator of this version. I am totally on board with the smaller one. He said is was “proportional to the Devastator.” And as the Devastator had a slightly smaller bridge structure... and there you have it. Happy to recommend Cosmos Models as well as the owner Nicholas. Good guy.

Welcome to Greeblie Hell my friend!

I am soooo glad I am not stuck in this purgatory by my lonesome with this kit.

Careful, if you get high -res ILM Avenger reference photos - once you go down the Greeblie path, forever will it dominate your destiny, CONSUME you it will!

Portgreebs9.jpg

Attachments

• Porttrenchgreebs.jpg
    Porttrenchgreebs.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 278
Welcome to Greeblie Hell my friend!

I am soooo glad I am not stuck in this purgatory by my lonesome with this kit.

Careful, if you get high -res ILM Avenger reference photos - once you go down the Greeblie path, forever will it dominate your destiny, CONSUME you it will!

View attachment 799347

Too late.... I opened the dread book of Greeblie

I did see your warning though....
IMG_1083.JPG

nothing wrong with another star destroyer - Randy Cooper is just about to pour the new resin moulds of his new revised star destroyer model for me next week - cant wait

Hey @Burbosa ,

I’m not that well versed on the intricacies of Star Destroyer variants and what that may entail , but regarding your question in post # 8 - I really prefer the one you’ve built / added to , there’s so much more interesting detail to it .

Not knocking the 3D one at all , just my $0:02 ...

:cheersGed

OK... So sorry for the lack of updates. A broken hand makes for a poor modeling tool. I am finally rid of the cast and am ready to get back to my ISD.
Here is the thing lads... I am wanting to add ISD I turrets BUT not the Devastator type.
As we all know Rogue One ISD introduced (among other things) Dauntless type turrets. Very different from ANH Devastator turrets... I havent found them on Shapeways so I am left with the task of creating the model part myself. So the question(s) is this...

Do any of you have better photo reference for these Dauntless type turrets? (not Devastator and not Avenger)
Do any of you know if these already exist for the Zvezda ISD? If so where?

The idea is I will create the turrets on my app and put em up on Shapeways for all. I know there must be some that would like them.
Anyone? Here is some photo reference of what I am talking about...
turret.jpg

Hi,

If you get some good pictures of what you want made you can ask Tony R (308bits) from Shapeways to possibly make them for you. He is a good guy and if he can make them there is a good chance he will for you.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/308bits

He made me a few custom parts for my SD

OK... So sorry for the lack of updates. A broken hand makes for a poor modeling tool. I am finally rid of the cast and am ready to get back to my ISD.
Here is the thing lads... I am wanting to add ISD I turrets BUT not the Devastator type.
As we all know Rogue One ISD introduced (among other things) Dauntless type turrets. Very different from ANH Devastator turrets... I havent found them on Shapeways so I am left with the task of creating the model part myself. So the question(s) is this...

Do any of you have better photo reference for these Dauntless type turrets? (not Devastator and not Avenger)
Do any of you know if these already exist for the Zvezda ISD? If so where?

The idea is I will create the turrets on my app and put em up on Shapeways for all. I know there must be some that would like them.
Anyone? Here is some photo reference of what I am talking about...
View attachment 809022

SO.... Its been 2 years.... life does get in the way sometimes. :)

So 2 years ago, on various boards, I had asked if anyone knew of some Rogue One Star Destroyer turrets to mod my Zvezda into a Rogue One Star Destroyer and such... No dice. Plenty of references to the ISD-I Devastator turrets on Shapeways (which are in no way the same) but no Rogue One or a Xyston-class turrets.

So I had to do it myself. I now have screen accurate and very detailed digital Rogue One SD turrets I am sending to Shapeways to get printed... Is there anyone else interested in these? Shall offer them up for sale on Shapeways? Perhaps print them myself on a FORM2 resin printer... (extremly detailed) and then sell??? Thoughts gang?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back