X-wing Fighter 1/72 bandai on the kitchen table

gt350pony66

Master Member
Xwing1.jpegXwing2.jpegXwing3.jpegXwing4.jpegXwing5.jpegXwing6.jpegXwing7.jpeg I decided to try to determine first, what is possible to light up in this tiny ship before I did anything else. I drilled out some places I'd like to light, though I may find out later that I can't. With the way these press-fit together, I may hit a wall or two. At first I thought I'd only be able to light the very center of the engines, however if I just slice off the entire ribbing where the bells attach, I should be able to open up the small triangles on the outer edge, though it will be tedious to do and not get into the ribbing in between :wacko I still need to get some 2mm red LED's for the four, but this is a mock up with a white one to see if it would all fit. looks like it'll work. I also need to acquire a roll of red and black micro wire to make this possible as the wire that comes on these pre-wired LED's is WAY too big. As I get closer to finding out what sort of interior space I have, I may be able to add more FO in the panels I've already pre-drilled...hopefully. Even using the .25mm FO, it's still going to be a very tight fit. Fingers crossed :thumbsup

Good going mate :thumbsup . Gotta say , you’re a glutton for punishment :lol! , just having completed lighting your brilliant Star Destroyer !
Wishing you the best and will follow your progress with this build .

:cheersGed

p.s. builder Socrates11 , is also attempting to light up his 1/72 x-wing on another thread here !

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Ged, I'll see if I can't find his thread and take a look at what he's doing, might be helpful :thumbsup
Good going mate :thumbsup . Gotta say , you’re a glutton for punishment :lol! , just having completed lighting your brilliant Star Destroyer !
Wishing you the best and will follow your progress with this build .

p.s. builder @Socrates11 , is also attempting to light up his 1/72 x-wing on another thread here !

I did this as well. Though it was nerve-wracking starting the first one, I used a cylindrical burr on my dremel and very carefully hogged out the material until what remained in the triangles was paper-thin. I removed the rest with an x-acto knife and a piece of sewing thread (works really well for those tight spaces). After the first one, my confidence in the other three was way higher, and it went quickly.
Hope this helps, and keep it up!
Mike

Super, that gives me a path to follow, much appreciated my friend. :thumbsup
I did this as well. Though it was nerve-wracking starting the first one, I used a cylindrical burr on my dremel and very carefully hogged out the material until what remained in the triangles was paper-thin. I removed the rest with an x-acto knife and a piece of sewing thread (works really well for those tight spaces). After the first one, my confidence in the other three was way higher, and it went quickly.
Hope this helps, and keep it up!
Mike

Xwing9.jpegXwing8.jpegsince we've decided to fully open up the engine bells, I fanned on the 2mm LED and modified for the 3mm of which I already had some reds. I ordered some of that super small micro wire from Modeltrain software to wire this thing, but I think I'm going to use that stuff from now on. Also ordered some nano and pico LED's, I figure those to be the easiest to use for the landing gear lights. my version will be preparing for take off. Crossing me fingas that all goes well (y)lol

I seem to have hit a wall on my Echo Base diorama idea...there doesn't seem to be a 1/72 snow speeder out there except for a retrokit? Anyone know of anything else? Looks like these guys are in the UK? close examination of the images suggests these are pretty rough resin cast, not what I had hoped for.

makes one wonder why that would be, huh? aggravating and surprising. Seems no matter what great idea I come up with, there's always a road block :facepalm
I found the same kit. Everythings either 144 or 48 scale.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a pretty good observation...it seems now a days, if I can light it, I don't want to build it. :lol
It's as if a Lighting/Electronics Monster has awoken and is devouring every single Bandai kit it can find!

In the mean time, I sent Bandai an email (probably in futility) asking why they do make their stuff more "lighting friendly", and WHY don't they have a Snow Speeder in 1/72....and...any possibility of a supplemental kit for the PG Falcon for adding the ESB landing gear. probably a waste of time, but who knows...:confused

In the mean time, I sent Bandai an email (probably in futility) asking why they do make their stuff more "lighting friendly", and WHY don't they have a Snow Speeder in 1/72....and...any possibility of a supplemental kit for the PG Falcon for adding the ESB landing gear. probably a waste of time, but who knows...:confused
The harder it is to light, less people will do so. That makes your projects any more special.. your should ask them then you are going to make a model of the dreathnought or the super star destroyer ;)

I'm happy to be crazy :)

xwing1.jpegxwing2.jpegxwing3.jpegxwing4.jpegxwing5.jpegxwing6.jpegxwing8.jpegxwing9.jpegxwing11.jpegxwing12.jpegxwing13.jpegxwing14.jpegxwing15.jpegtook off work yesterday and got this figured out, pico LED's showed up in the mail. routed my engine wires and figured out how to run the landing gear lamp wires, worked out really well. the engine cover on the opposite side of the wing got notched to allow for the wires but will get painted so it'll just look like it belings there, did the same with the 1/48 MPC Xwing, but that one didn't get the gear lights, so I'm pretty happy that I was able to accomplish that with the 1/72 especially:thumbsup

View attachment 794816View attachment 794817View attachment 794818View attachment 794819View attachment 794820View attachment 794821View attachment 794822View attachment 794823View attachment 794824View attachment 794825View attachment 794826View attachment 794827View attachment 794828took off work yesterday and got this figured out, pico LED's showed up in the mail. routed my engine wires and figured out how to run the landing gear lamp wires, worked out really well. the engine cover on the opposite side of the wing got notched to allow for the wires but will get painted so it'll just look like it belings there, did the same with the 1/48 MPC Xwing, but that one didn't get the gear lights, so I'm pretty happy that I was able to accomplish that with the 1/72 especially:thumbsup
Looks great.... But you lean from the best.... Aaahhuuummm... LoL
Just joking but to give your 2 small tips. Where the cables her or in the middle of I where you (knowing what I know now) I would open the hole I bit more to the cables are straight on the lowe part of the middle.
I know this might sound weird I hope you understand.
Because when you close the x-wing you to drill out a little on the lower peace of the x-wing and then you remove to mush you see it hight away when the wings are closed (my wings are open) but it I close then you see a cut open hole.
And for the micro smd maybe use a bigger resistor because they are really might normally and it should not overshine other things you have light. I have used them in my star destroyer for the docking bay.
But that's just what I think.. hope it helps you. Looking forward to the completing of your x-wing and then base :)

Great work :)

Thanks my wise friend, I appreciate the info and will examine that to be sure there isn't a problem. Socrates fits as it is evident that you're a clever fellow.:thumbsup I really love the way we all can share info and ideas here, it's an awesome thing! I have to remember to also do those lower fuselage lights like you did, unless those are blasters? they wouldn't be firing those in the hangar would they :lol I need to bone up on the lighting for these more. I finished the wing sub assembly right before dinner, I'll post pics below, let me know what you think :thumbsup
Looks great.... But you lean from the best.... Aaahhuuummm... LoL
Just joking but to give your 2 small tips. Where the cables her or in the middle of I where you (knowing what I know now) I would open the hole I bit more to the cables are straight on the lowe part of the middle.
I know this might sound weird I hope you understand.
Because when you close the x-wing you to drill out a little on the lower peace of the x-wing and then you remove to mush you see it hight away when the wings are closed (my wings are open) but it I close then you see a cut open hole.
And for the micro smd maybe use a bigger resistor because they are really might normally and it should not overshine other things you have light. I have used them in my star destroyer for the docking bay.
But that's just what I think.. hope it helps you. Looking forward to the completing of your x-wing and then base :)

Great work :)

- - - Updated - - -

xwing16.jpegxwing17.jpegthe finished wing assembly with the landing gear lights. couldn't find any images of where the gear lights are exactly, but...there was only the one place practical to put them anyway.

Anther thing I neglected to do, but can do once I get the printed nozzles...paint the inside of the engines where the LRD's are to prevent light bleed through. Easy enough to do by hand. I will likely need to trim out the openings more anyway to allow fitment of the nozzles anyway

G’day Ross ,

Really admire what you’ve accomplished with the lighting so far .
The work @Socrates11 and you’re generously sharing , will certainly help those who have similar ambitions for their builds .

I am wondering , you’re planning to display your x -wing on the ground ( landed position ) right ? , well just a thought / suggestion really , and sincere apologies in advance if not warranted .
Instead of having all four engines lit up - full power like you have now , maybe you could have one ( or more ) flashing / flickering - alluding to the fact that it’s playing up ( in need of maintenance ) , hence giving a reason to have them running on the ground , maybe ?

Anyhoo , whatever the reason - not that you need one for how it’s lit , it’s still going to be gorgeous !

Anther thing I neglected to do, but can do once I get the printed nozzles...paint the inside of the engines where the LRD's are to prevent light bleed through. Easy enough to do by hand. I will likely need to trim out the openings more anyway to allow fitment of the nozzles anyway
It looks nice:)
Now that I'm looking at the landing gear lights they seem less bright then I thought.
I solders these mirco SMD myself and they are a pain to solder. But are you making sure you test with the right voltage you are going to use at the end of your project?

And you are talking about 3d printed nozzles. You mean the back of the engine? You are not going to hollow them or yourself?

please don't take me serious I'm crazy :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back