X-wing Fighter 1/72 bandai on the kitchen table

xwingII1.jpegxwingII2.jpegxwingII3.jpegso this is nothing that hasn't been seen before. I bounced back to kit building from the temporary focus on hangar greebs. Since this is a "sideline" xwing I didn't light the engines or landing gear this time, but did a few FO points in the cockpit for effect. Xwing #3 will get the same. I loosely followed the tips page on the Bandai sight, and it was easier than the way I did it the first time. Given the limited lighting, this kit should be short work. Then perhaps the other maintenance scaffold I want to scratch up. need one on that right wall like is in a few of the set images...with the dual "3 spot light" clusters this time. if I can figure out a cheap easy way to do it, I'll upgrade the first one as well. The nice thing about this dio build is the ability to switch off what I'm working on to stem the tedium.
This isn't much to report, but this thread may well go on for a while so posting bits and pieces is probably best...interesting or not :wacko

Well thanks Blakeh, :thumbsup though I didn't quite get the proportions correct on the one I scratched. Once I got the 3D one I saw the differences. But, I was just going off of images so that's my only excuse :eek as long as they aren't side by side whose gonna notice :lol I was pretty happy with the tool chests though. The open drawer thing makes it look like there's activity so to speak. The more I look at the screen shots, the more stuff I notice...LOTS of stuff. I'm just not sure how far I want to go with it. I do have limited space to deal with so I'll make it look as "busy" as I can without it being overly cluttered. :wacko:confused
Those transports look fantastic!

View attachment 812853View attachment 812854View attachment 812855so this is nothing that hasn't been seen before. I bounced back to kit building from the temporary focus on hangar greebs. Since this is a "sideline" xwing I didn't light the engines or landing gear this time, but did a few FO points in the cockpit for effect. Xwing #3 will get the same. I loosely followed the tips page on the Bandai sight, and it was easier than the way I did it the first time. Given the limited lighting, this kit should be short work. Then perhaps the other maintenance scaffold I want to scratch up. need one on that right wall like is in a few of the set images...with the dual "3 spot light" clusters this time. if I can figure out a cheap easy way to do it, I'll upgrade the first one as well. The nice thing about this dio build is the ability to switch off what I'm working on to stem the tedium.
This isn't much to report, but this thread may well go on for a while so posting bits and pieces is probably best...interesting or not :wacko

Hey Ross ,

Good to hear you’re still finding new side projects to work on for the diorama , and more importantly still enjoying the process !:thumbsup .
At least as much as we are at watching it develop and ( gulp ) grow !;)

Could you please direct us to the Bandai site you referred to regarding the ‘ tips ‘ page ?

:cheersGed

http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/en/index.html this should be it if I did the copy and paste correctly, I kinda stink at the technical crap. There was one that someone pasted for the PG Falcon which is only in Japanese, but in the process of clicking on stuff I found the Xwing page. Click on "modeler's tips" and it should be there, but right now it's the only one. You have to go to the Japan site to find the Falcon though. That one is on like page 154 of the Bandai Falcon thread.

Anyway, thanks...it seems this project is growing in size (and COST) with respect to items that should be there, but I'll probably have to draw the line somewhere given the space I have. As it is I'm going to have to go to the fabric store for some extra thick colored stitch to use for a lot of the cords and crap on the floor of the hangar...certainly not going to use good wire for dummy cord. Also, I don't quite know how I'm going to tackle the ceiling yet either...man there are more light fixtures up there...good Lord! I'll probably have to build that best I can and only have select, strategically chosen light fixtures be live ones, and the rest of them fake. Then of course there are the wall lights between the cut outs on the wall...another big horse to mount. I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this project! :wacko :eek:facepalm:confused

echo gantry3.pngwell now, look what I stumbled upon on Shapeways...1/72 scale, 20 bucks...I think I'll save myself the work of scratching any more. Although it was good practice, I wish I'd seen this before :facepalm

View attachment 812908well now, look what I stumbled upon on Shapeways...1/72 scale, 20 bucks...I think I'll save myself the work of scratching any more. Although it was good practice, I wish I'd seen this before :facepalm

Hey that’s a pretty good option and find Ross , but it still won’t be as cool - nor as satisfying as the one you scratched yourself ;)!
Besides , from experience having ordered various Shapeways parts myself ( Deago MF build ) , you may still end up with an item that’ll need seriously careful sanding if you’re after a cleaner finished looking piece like yours :p

But , I’m guessing time spent / shared on other components for this epic build of yours is a major factor ... not to mention the other non - modelling projects you’ve on your plate too !

p.s. Having said all that , thanks for sharing your findings too mate :thumbsup
Would like to know where abouts in Shapeways are you searching for discovering the SW items you have so far - referring especially to the transport vehicle ?

I saw that gantry too and have been thinking long and hard whether to pull the trigger. Like you said though, I've gotten some 'passable' but pretty poor quality prints before. Unfortunately I don't have the mad skills that some of you guys have, that plus I tend to way over engineer things, so for me to scratch build one it would take me forever to get done as well as cost a small fortune because I'd have to keep buying things to try and tweak.

You know what Ged, you've got a really good point. I have had some less than great pieces before, and in particular, the "strong and flexible". so I checked my order...yep, strong and flexible. That stuff comes way to rough, textured even, and yes requires sanding. One of the first items I ever got was the ESB gear boxes for MPC Falcon, and that's the only material they came in till I asked Tony to re-do them so they'd be available in the smooth ultra detail. 10 bucks more per set, but man it was worth it for the much better quality.
I'm going to go back and check to see if there's another material available and change it up (I was so jacked that I found it I forgot to check the material) , if not...I may cancel it all together and spend the time on another scratched up unit. Then again, even in strong and flexible it might be decent enough to use for the one that is not being used, seen on the right wall of the hangar. As far as my searches, I just put a few different things in the search window, and try to go off key words I see on stuff I stubble on. Like, Bandai, Banday, SW, 1/72, hoth, echo, falcon, you know the common stuff. But who knows how long that gantry has been there and I just now saw it? There's likely more cool stuff hiding in there too.
Thanks again for the kind words, and especially for chiming in on the gantry, thus prompting me to go back and double check. Heck, I may not want it :facepalm
Hey that’s a pretty good option and find Ross , but it still won’t be as cool - nor as satisfying as the one you scratched yourself ;)!
Besides , from experience having ordered various Shapeways parts myself ( Deago MF build ) , you may still end up with an item that’ll need seriously careful sanding if you’re after a cleaner finished looking piece like yours :p

But , I’m guessing time spent / shared on other components for this epic build of yours is a major factor ... not to mention the other non - modelling projects you’ve on your plate too !

p.s. Having said all that , thanks for sharing your findings too mate :thumbsup
Would like to know where abouts in Shapeways are you searching for discovering the SW items you have so far - referring especially to the transport vehicle ?

Ged, guess what...I went to check my order and the gantry in strong and flex was already cancelled, go figure huh. I reordered in ultra for 10 bucks more. That should be ok...I think anyway:confused

Odd thing...the gantry was already cancelled. I reordered in ultra but it was 30 bucks. if you want, when I get it and look it over I'll let you know if it's a :thumbsup or a :thumbsdown
I saw that gantry too and have been thinking long and hard whether to pull the trigger. Like you said though, I've gotten some 'passable' but pretty poor quality prints before. Unfortunately I don't have the mad skills that some of you guys have, that plus I tend to way over engineer things, so for me to scratch build one it would take me forever to get done as well as cost a small fortune because I'd have to keep buying things to try and tweak.

So you did order one...I think the price difference is the strong flexi stuff is obviously a lower quality, while the frosted ultra is better. but for only 10 buck more, and saving me all the work of scratching up another one, to me its worth it as long as its a good piece. we'll see I suppose. I hope they don't cancel this one as well :eek
Same here, it was in my cart and then disappeared... when I readded it I saw the price went up.

think the designer is watching this forum lol ;)

no didn't order one yet. I was thinking about it and then he upped the price after I had it in my cart and that kinda rubbed me wrong.

I see, you must have done that after I did, and right when they were cancelling mine... curious. I guess they figured that the strong and flexi was not possible, or perhaps they knew it would be junk. I'll let you know when I get mine, and post pics of it...that is if they don't cancel that one too. perhaps the print on that piece is only do-able in the 1/48 scale, and the 1/72 is just too small to have it turn out well? fingers crossed :confused
no didn't order one yet. I was thinking about it and then he upped the price after I had it in my cart and that kinda rubbed me wrong.

The frosted ultra resin is entirely different to the standard 3d printed stuff shapeways do. It's a resin print, as opposed to laser sintering. The problem with laser sintering is, although the end result can be very detailed-you are still left with quite a rough texture that needs sanding. The resin print, however, needs no sanding and will come out EXACTLY as shown in the picture. If you're looking for some examples of this, check out the 3d printed Cygnus thread.
Frosted resin costs more, simply because the material costs more and it takes more time to produce the goods, but the end results speak for themselves.....

Shapeways goes through a preliminary check if the 3D art is printable in all its available materials. Once gt350pony66 placed his order, Shapeways then goes through a secondary check to see if the 3D art is indeed printable. They canceled the order when they saw that some areas were too thin to print in the selected materials (which is the most common reason). Shapeways then will remove those materials automatically from any future orders, which is what I would suspect happened to your order. Shapeways then chose the remaining material on the list that cleared their checks. The difference in cost is the difference in materials used for finer detail vs softer detail.

Here's an example. This is the bow from a videogame character.IMG_20180426_171014.jpg
This is done in Fine Ultra Detail.
The cheaper process-sls or select laser sintering, is done by using a laser to melt tiny balls of plastic together. The plastic balls are so small, they form a powder, which supports the model within the printer. This process is relatively cheap, but does not compare to the resin printing process.

- - - Updated - - -

There is an option to "print it anyway", but if the walls of the model are too thin, even resin printing can fail.
Again, have a look at the Cygnus thread. I posted a few examples on it.

As I suspected, thanks for the confirmation :thumbsup it actually turned out better this way. If it hadn't come up then I would have perhaps gotten something I wasn't happy with. However, as a result, I'll be getting what I thought I had ordered in the first place. even though it was 10 bucks more, better product. I will say though, as intricate as this item is sure to be, and at 1/72...it's going to be extremely fragile. I hope it survives the trip.
Shapeways goes through a preliminary check if the 3D art is printable in all its available materials. Once gt350pony66 placed his order, Shapeways then goes through a secondary check to see if the 3D art is indeed printable. They canceled the order when they saw that some areas were too thin to print in the selected materials (which is the most common reason). Shapeways then will remove those materials automatically from any future orders, which is what I would suspect happened to your order. Shapeways then chose the remaining material on the list that cleared their checks. The difference in cost is the difference in materials used for finer detail vs softer detail.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back