X-wing Fighter 1/72 bandai on the kitchen table

scaffold9.jpegscaffold8.jpegscaffold7.jpegdid the railing last night, then realized I screwed up on the ends, supposed to be angled out at the corners, not straight out. I guess I could still fix that, but...:confused

kinda what I thought, given the space available. I'd reckon to do the clutter as much as I think needed and if there is room for more ships, go from there. came up short on figures though. Someone suggested properly painting WW2 German mountain troops for hangar personnel, that works. Pilots though, tougher. Ultimate in the UK has them but they're out of stock. So I ordered the Germans from Hobbylinc and a 6 pilot set of WW2, I think I can use most of the 6 except the Japanese guy kicking his foot in the air. Thinking on at least one more snow speeder but that's coming from Ultimate like the first one. i'll wait till they have pilots again, then get those and the speeder. Thanks for the input my friend :thumbsup
I'd be striving for cluttered, but not crowded. Troop carriers, droids, equipment, but maybe not too many more ships.

Another thought might be to have side bays that don't go full depth - you could have just the front of the X wings poking out. Your build is kind of inspiring me...maybe a good use for a FM Falcon some day - if viewed from the side in a shadowbox diorama, the lacking toe-in on the mandibles may not be very visible.

Pilots are a bigger challenge, but there weren't that many walking around in the movie, except when they actually scrambled into action.

I agree, the opening I have isn't wide enough for full deep on both sides, perhaps only half, but it seems like there would be enough for them to stick out partially. maybe one more X on the left and the two snows on the right and the existing X in the center, Falcon in the back. I think there is enough height for the circular recess in the ceiling above the Falcon. I was going to use some of that bedding foam for the walls and ceiling and cut it with an electric knife like you carve a turkey with, should leave enough irregularity in the foam to simulate, though lots of practice will be incorporated.
Another thought might be to have side bays that don't go full depth - you could have just the front of the X wings poking out. Your build is kind of inspiring me...maybe a good use for a FM Falcon some day - if viewed from the side in a shadowbox diorama, the lacking toe-in on the mandibles may not be very visible.

Pilots are a bigger challenge, but there weren't that many walking around in the movie, except when they actually scrambled into action.

Thanks brother!! I'll tell you, before I had contact with some of the guys here, I'd have half-******* it. Since I've been witness to the patience and attention to detail some of these guys have, it's inspired me to do better. I don't think this is too awful bad for scratching it if I do say so myself. :lol
Ooo wauuuwwww man!!! I really love e bridge... That's awesome seriously!!!
Damn good job!!!

please don't take me serious I'm crazy :)

catwalk1.jpegcatwalk2.jpegscaffold10.jpgOk, so I went back and fixed the ends of the railing. I was going to leave it like it was, but I figured at some point I'd hear about from someone, and it only took little more than an hour. Besides, if I'd left it, at some point down the road I'd been staring at it and telling myself what a lazy #### I was not to do it right :lol

View attachment 798950View attachment 798951View attachment 798952Ok, so I went back and fixed the ends of the railing. I was going to leave it like it was, but I figured at some point I'd hear about from someone, and it only took little more than an hour. Besides, if I'd left it, at some point down the road I'd been staring at it and telling myself what a lazy #### I was not to do it right [emoji38]
LoL..... Whahaha I know what you mean.. looks really awesome... I'm really impressed!

Thank buddy! I think I've finally entered the realm of detail and patience that the rest of you guys live in. Thanks for the inspiration! :thumbsup
LoL..... Whahaha I know what you mean.. looks really awesome... I'm really impressed!

- - - Updated - - -

I left a comment on your other thread, but will here as well, looks absolutely fantastic!!:thumbsup
My new base for the republic star destroyer is going slow but surely starting to get somewhere.
Check it out ;)

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=285068

Thank buddy! I think I've finally entered the realm of detail and patience that the rest of you guys live in. Thanks for the inspiration! :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

I left a comment on your other thread, but will here as well, looks absolutely fantastic!!:thumbsup
I don't know if I have real patience... I just lose track of time all the time ;)

I got to admit to some of that too, I:eek'll sit down at the table on a Saturday or Sunday and dig into it, then look up at the clock and several hours have gone by! Holy Cow!
I don't know if I have real patience... I just lose track of time all the time ;)

Hey Ross ,

That gantry is looking ‘ WOW ! ‘ ... Just to be clear , you’ve built that from scratch ( brilliantly ) .
I’ve gotta ask , did you eyeball the dimensions when building it from the photo references you posted awhile back , or did you work off some plans/diagrams , or a combo of both ?
Either way , I’m loving how your diorama is progressing !

:cheersGed

p.s. keep questioning/ arguing with yourself like in post #88 , if you’re not 100% sure . I personally find that helps in bringing out the best in oneself regardless of the outcome in others eyes ! ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Ged! I'm pleased with it as well. I just kinda eyeballed it, the height that it appeared to be above the xwing, thankfully I had one just finished, and the width where in the studio pics had the wing skewers distance to the scaffold itself. So, yeah, eyeballed. I think the actual deck, or catwalk part is a bit too thick and the hydraulic rams look a bit too skinny and to long (the chromy part) but other than that, who is going to know the difference but guys like us, right? :lol I was also thinking for just the sake of aesthetics, running a chip LED up into the bottom of each side under the catwalk as work lighting shining down, just because I can.
Hey Ross ,

That gantry is looking ‘ WOW ! ‘ ... Just to be clear , you’ve built that from scratch ( brilliantly ) .
I’ve gotta ask , did you eyeball the dimensions when building it from the photo references you posted awhile back , or did you work off some plans/diagrams , or a combo of both ?
Either way , I’m loving how your diorama is progressing !

:cheersGed

p.s. keep questioning/ arguing with yourself like in post #88 , if you’re not 100% sure . I personally find that helps in bringing out the best in oneself regardless of the outcome in others eyes ! ;)

Can’t have too many lights , and if they lead to points of interest ( and is ‘ mostly ‘ logical ) - Absolutely Agree ! :lol

Besides as Keiko pointed out earlier , the diorama could look busier and having extra led wiring ( we know they’re actually power cables ! ) running around the floor makes perfect sense !;)

Cool, my thinking as well :thumbsup side note, I contacted one of the designers on Shapreways about figures for it, I see very little there, but he shot me back a link to some stuff they had done in a larger scale, 1/48 I believe, but you could definitely tell they were of a larger size. I emailed him back and said yeah, those look awesome but they're too big. then he replies with, no problem, we can do the same ones in 1/72! So, he's going to work up a list of stuff that they can do and then I can select which ones I want...cool huh?
though I think a lot of their stuff is in the 6 to 8 bucks range...I think I could pony up for a handful anyway.
Can’t have too many lights , and if they lead to points of interest ( and is ‘ mostly ‘ logical ) - Absolutely Agree ! ;)

Besides as Keiko pointed out earlier , the diorama could look busier and having extra led wiring ( they’re actually power cables ! ) running around the floor makes perfect sense !

The walkway looks great! I'll have to refer back to this when I try building a 1/144 one (I've got the same dio in mind for that scale using the old MPC Battle of Hoth and Rebel base kit figures and Bandai X-Wings, Snowspeeders and the Fine Molds Falcon. The on top of it, put some Bandai At-Ats and an AT-ST

Well thanks Blakeh! I think I got it pretty close. I also think, in hind sight, that doing this in 1/144 would have been much easier and allow for a lot more stuff in a small space...I wonder if I'm too late to consider that? lighting the AT-AT I just finished wasn't too bad, a 1/144 Falcon wouldn't be too bad either...but an Xwing or anything else would be a huge challenge, but then sticking a pico LED in the cockpit should be simple and you wouldn't REALLY need to light the engines.... Hmm, I wonder if I should alter course?
The walkway looks great! I'll have to refer back to this when I try building a 1/144 one (I've got the same dio in mind for that scale using the old MPC Battle of Hoth and Rebel base kit figures and Bandai X-Wings, Snowspeeders and the Fine Molds Falcon. The on top of it, put some Bandai At-Ats and an AT-ST

I guess I'd better check on figures in that scale before I commit to it....

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back