X-wing Fighter 1/72 bandai on the kitchen table

scaffold1.jpegscaffold2.jpegscaffold3.jpegxwing31.jpeggiven my limited abilities, this is my scratch built scaffolding support, not terrible and better than others I've seen. took a couple days figuring out how to get there with what I had to work with. the hydraulic rams are a bit thin, and the bracing between the posts is a bit on the sloppy side, but it's similar to the sound stage pics. The worst thing is...I have to build another one for the other side, obviously. the cat walk, ladder and railings should be fairly easy...I think

- - - Updated - - -

all done with Evergreen stock

View attachment 798032View attachment 798033View attachment 798034View attachment 798035given my limited abilities, this is my scratch built scaffolding support, not terrible and better than others I've seen. took a couple days figuring out how to get there with what I had to work with. the hydraulic rams are a bit thin, and the bracing between the posts is a bit on the sloppy side, but it's similar to the sound stage pics. The worst thing is...I have to build another one for the other side, obviously. the cat walk, ladder and railings should be fairly easy...I think

- - - Updated - - -

Looked very good.. serious when the top will be on there it will be all straight op... What did you use to build it? Btw. For the nosels... You should just first use a couple of coats of black primer then go in with grey. But still.. good job!!

( O and yeah...uhhh... Only use the decal softener when have not put on the lacquer. And when the decal is drenched in the softer softly punch down the decal on the model so it blends in. After is dry then use the lacquer).

please don't take me serious I'm crazy :)

Thanks brother! :thumbsup just finishing up the second support, then on to the cat walk, railing and ladders. I just used Evergreen stock, modeling plastic. comes in all shapes and sizes. Do you guys have that over there?
Looked very good.. serious when the top will be on there it will be all straight op... What did you use to build it? Btw. For the nosels... You should just first use a couple of coats of black primer then go in with grey. But still.. good job!!

( O and yeah...uhhh... Only use the decal softener when have not put on the lacquer. And when the decal is drenched in the softer softly punch down the decal on the model so it blends in. After is dry then use the lacquer).

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and thanks for the info on the decal softener

Thanks brother! :thumbsup just finishing up the second support, then on to the cat walk, railing and ladders. I just used Evergreen stock, modeling plastic. comes in all shapes and sizes. Do you guys have that over there?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and thanks for the info on the decal softener
yes we got that here to. but its crazy expensive especially for a bit of plastic.
great work... keep posting pictures :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T805 met Tapatalk

View attachment 798032View attachment 798033View attachment 798034View attachment 798035given my limited abilities, this is my scratch built scaffolding support, not terrible and better than others I've seen. took a couple days figuring out how to get there with what I had to work with. the hydraulic rams are a bit thin, and the bracing between the posts is a bit on the sloppy side, but it's similar to the sound stage pics. The worst thing is...I have to build another one for the other side, obviously. the cat walk, ladder and railings should be fairly easy...I think

- - - Updated - - -

Cool updates Ross . Thanks for sharing .

Your X - Wing is terrific , and the gantry ‘ pillars ‘ looking sweet .

Not sure if this’ll help , but another builder on here @seven started a thread awhile ago ‘ 1/48 Star Wars Stage Echo Base Hanger Diorama ‘ , unfortunately the builds been on hold for some time !? . It’s in 1/48 - not 1/72 , but with your skills I’m sure you’d be able to interpret the scale .

However there’s some interesting info / images that you may find useful if you’re interested - Posts #129 + #139 especially .

:cheersGed

wow, that sucks...here it's like 3.50 to 3.65 a package. 20 bucks worth of stuff and you can scratch whatever you need. I guess it's all the BS import taxes and such, right?
yes we got that here to. but its crazy expensive especially for a bit of plastic.
great work... keep posting pictures :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T805 met Tapatalk

I'll absolutely check it out, thanks Ged! I'll take anything and everything that might help :thumbsup I was a bit wary of trying to scratch this item, but it's turned out way better than I thought. Patience is the key, which at times I'm woefully short on. I was only going to try to do this piece for my build, but now, I'm starting to get big headed thinking I can scratch anything :lol
Cool updates Ross . Thanks for sharing .

Your X - Wing is terrific , and the gantry ‘ pillars ‘ looking sweet .

Not sure if this’ll help , but another builder on here @seven started a thread awhile ago ‘ 1/48 Star Wars Stage Echo Base Hanger Diorama ‘ , unfortunately the builds been on hold for some time !? . It’s in 1/48 - not 1/72 , but with your skills I’m sure you’d be able to interpret the scale .

However there’s some interesting info / images that you may find useful if you’re interested - Posts #129 + #139 especially .

wow, that sucks...here it's like 3.50 to 3.65 a package. 20 bucks worth of stuff and you can scratch whatever you need. I guess it's all the BS import taxes and such, right?
Here is like 10 Euro.. around 13 dollar a package I think... Yes it's crazy for a bit of plastic

scaffold1.jpegscaffold2.jpegscaffold3.jpegscaffold4.jpegscaffold5.jpegscaffold6.jpegseems to be coming along well, I wonder if some of it seems disproportionate, but...again, it'll be good enough for what it's for. next of course is the railing and ladders which should be pretty quick and easy. Also, I saw somewhere a set of rebel pilots, I scanned through Shapeways this morning but didn't see any...should have noted it. anyone know where that was?

echo hangar space.jpegthis is the space I have to work with, not going to be able to cram too much in there, but possibly another of the snow speeder and another xwing? thoughts anyone?

Seems like I forgot I'd seen that other stuff as well. I might have figured I could scratch some of the other stuff. I'll have to look again and decide what I want to fool with. Thanks Blakeh :thumbsup
I also noticed they have a bunch of 1/72 Hoth Rebel Base sets like the anti slip floor pads, walkways and the floor lights

Also a 1/72 Treadwell droid

Hey Ross ,

Your gantry seems to be coming along just fine . Where’d you get the idea for it’s flooring/walkway ? It looks intricately good ! , was it hard to build ?

As far as what to add ? ... whatever makes you happy mate , we’re just visiting as it were - you have to live with it !:lol;)

p.s. Is that the latest iteration of your upgraded MPC Falcon in the background ? She sure is beautiful , and a most welcomed addition to your diorama !

Hey there Ged! Thanks my friend :thumbsup the floor plating is just some grooved Evergreen sheet I had lying around. truth be told, some PE screen would have been better, but I couldn't find anything reasonable. Also, I screwed up the railing, the corner braces are supposed to be angled out from the corner and I built it straight out...oh well, it'll do. Only guys like us are going to notice. It wasn't too hard to put together really, I had all the Evergreen I needed already, just had to figure out what to use and where. it took me a few hours each day for 3 days to figure out the first hydraulic support, then the second one took like 3 hours to build. I just stared at the movie images, then looked at my Evergreen and got lucky. I'm glad I did it though, I started to but a printed troop carrier on Shapeways for 11 bucks, but then thought, if I can scratch this thing, I can do the troop carrier.
Yes, that Falcon is the last one I did, MPC with almost everything that Tony 308 Bits designed for it. I'd venture that this particular one has maybe 30% of the original parts from the box, the rest is aftermarket. The side walls though, are HH Miniature, you ever follow any of Haystack Hair's threads? He's awesome too. His upgrade kit for the MPC is incredible. Between his stuff and Tony 308 Bits, you could build a killer MPC Falcon and only need the upper and lower hull from the kit box! Since I'm doing this diorama on wall outlet power, I'm going to probably build the Bandai PG Falcon for it. Though I'm not really in a hurry, I'm waiting for one of the PE suppliers to come out with that, and Tony is working up the add-on ESB front landing gear boxes for the PG bird. The MPC in the pic is a battery run unit with a toggle switch hidden on the belly. I recently started doing projects with remotes and should have all along.
Hey Ross ,

Your gantry seems to be coming along just fine . Where’d you get the idea for it’s flooring/walkway ? It looks intricately good ! , was it hard to build ?

As far as what to add ? ... whatever makes you happy mate , we’re just visiting as it were - you have to live with it !:lol;)

p.s. Is that the latest iteration of your upgraded MPC Falcon in the background ? She sure is beautiful , and a most welcomed addition to your diorama !

Since I'm doing this diorama on wall outlet power, I'm going to probably build the Bandai PG Falcon for it. Though I'm not really in a hurry, I'm waiting for one of the PE suppliers to come out with that, and Tony is working up the add-on ESB front landing gear boxes for the PG bird. The MPC in the pic is a battery run unit with a toggle switch hidden on the belly. I recently started doing projects with remotes and should have all along.

Just an FYI

the Bandai Falcon out of the box runs on battery power and the switch is mounted in the engine deck which you have to remove to turn it on or off

Not that you can't replace it with your own power supply and LEDs, but if you go that route, you might consider the "no-frills" version that doesn't have the lighting kit. Although you will miss out on the photo-etch as well

hey her Blakeh! yeah, I was planning on doing my own lighting throughout the PG. I like to have a few flashing LED for the cockpit, the ends of the docking collars and a few in the gun turrets. I'll use the stuff that comes with it on something else at some point. And yes, I'm going to wait for the PE set to come out, I'd hate to do this build without one. if it ends up taking a long time for that, I've still got a stack of boxes in the garage containing a complete Deago Falcon. I got it on sale when they offered it for 1200 if you bought the whole thing at once, so I pulled the trigger. funny thing though...there's about 1200 worth of PE and Shapeways I want for it as well. that's going to be one spend build!
Just an FYI

the Bandai Falcon out of the box runs on battery power and the switch is mounted in the engine deck which you have to remove to turn it on or off

Not that you can't replace it with your own power supply and LEDs, but if you go that route, you might consider the "no-frills" version that doesn't have the lighting kit. Although you will miss out on the photo-etch as well

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back