Classic BSG Eagle Mug and Grog Bottle

bishopdonmiguel

Every Warrior needs an Eagle Mug and Grog Bottle to celebrate their victories against Cylon Tyranny.

This build is mostly just sculpture and simple molding/casting. No cool blinky lights and whatnot so adjust your expectations accordingly.

Reference shots...

bsg-sc-tll-eaglemug2.jpg

bsg-sc-tll-eaglemug1.jpg

The mug used by the production is a Wilton Armetale "Original" Mug. As the company still offers a version of these for sale, I will not mold or cast so I acquired some vintage stock.

I assume the eagle was a custom production sculpt, not a found item, so I needed to craft my own. I started with a basic eagle model and made alterations to approximate the characteristics seen in the screen caps, those being a thickened brow and large curved beak. My first layer was not as successful as I wanted, the beak was not large enough and the brow was too thin in areas and too thick in others, but I figured this would be an iterative process...

Eagle01.jpg

Second layer much better, thicker brow and larger beak...

Eagle03.jpg

Third layer added more to the beak and detail to feathers...

Eagle04.jpg

Once I was happy with the shape, decided I had make the sculpt a bit too tall so I removed feathers from the bottom and re-sculpted...

Eagle05.jpg

After additional alterations to feather and some cleanup and polishing, the eagle is ready for silicone...

Eagle06.jpg

First pull from compression mold...

Eagle07.jpg

A bit of gold lacquer and epoxy and we have some Colonial Eagle Mugs ready for Colonial toastings. Not a perfect replica, I'm not a trained sculptor, but I think it passes as a reasonable approximation...

Eagle09.jpg

For all you do, this grog's for you!...

EagleMug.jpg

To be continued...

For the grog bottle (or ale or perhaps Ambrosia given the large letter "A" adorning the bottles) the production used single service Lancers dinner wine bottles. It appears the production painted these brown and then sprayed them with a gold "A."

Reference photo...

bsg-sc-lpotg-grogbottle2.jpg

My casting master...

Grog01.jpg

Mother mold...

Grog02.jpg

Grog03.jpg

First pull from mold using tinted high-density resin. These weigh approximately the same as an unopened bottle of Lancers...

Grog04.jpg

Some rubberized brown paint for the cap and gold stenciling, these grog bottles are ready...

Grog05.jpg

Grog06.jpg

Beauty shots...

bsg-eaglemug-duo.jpg

bsg-eaglemug-detail1.jpg

And to commemorate these, I produced another BSG parody for the Bionic Moon Labs YouTube channel...

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back