Silicone lifecast didn't cure. Bad thixotrope?

GotWookiee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just did a lifecast for a friend. We used smooth on body double silk. I've done a dozen or so over years and have never had inhibition issues. This is my third lifecast with silk.
The inner layer was just the silk and cured fine. The outer layers we're inconsistent and many areas failed to cure. We added thi-vex for a trowlable consistency.

The thix is over a year old but I've used it in the last few weeks. It's the only thing I can think of. It was thoroughly mixed.

Anyone experience this?

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

If I understand well, it´s the lifecast mold with Body Double (the thixo layers) that didn''t cure propperly. As I see it if ThiVex would have gone off most probably it wouldn''t have thickened correctly but can''t think of it inhibiting the silicone in first instance. I have used old ThiVex with no problem of this kind.
If everything was weighted and mixed correctly, could it be a matter of cross link contamination?.
Has the silicone (or the ThiVex) been stored near to latex for example, or any other potential inhibitor?. What about the containers and tools (and gloves) you used to mix?,. Contamination of some kind is the only thing I can think of.
Probably a good idea is to run a new test with your ThiVex and your silicone (if there is left over). Leave it in the cup to see if it cures propperly. I f it does the culprit will be another than the products. Also a test with plain silicone (same one you used) will be of help to make sure.
What about the left overs of the thickened silicone in the mixing cup (when you made the lifecast)? Did tthat cure propperly?
And did you add a correct amount of ThiVex?...too much could give problems too.

Last edited:
Was the thi-vex or any of the other products more than a few months old? Old products don't mix or cure well. This can cause quite a few problems.

I've had inhibition issues with Thivex several times in the past couldn't figure it out. It was just simply that Thivex has a shelf life.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back