Altered Carbon Props

OK, guys...still got some touch-up to do (because Rustoleum paint has a huge amount of solvent in it...which will mess up lower layers if you are not careful), but here is my back-pack....
30715521_10157464216864768_7420092823212392448_n.jpg

Nearly have my hello unicorn kovacspack done, this pic was taken of the lights after they where running for over 8 hours, plenty of juice from a 9.6v nimh battery. I have everything else done except for the black tag and painting the front design, thats about all thats left. if anyone wants to see more pics, I'm posting them on my instagram @taibhse_designs,

View attachment DSC_2365.JPG DSC_2335.JPG View attachment DSC_2318.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nearly have my hello unicorn kovacspack done, this pic was taken of the lights after they where running for over 8 hours, plenty of juice from a 9.6v nimh battery. I have everything else done except for the black tag and painting the front design, thats about all thats left. if anyone wants to see more pics, I'm posting them on my instagram @taibhse_designs,

View attachment 812646 View attachment 812649 View attachment 812650

Just be super careful if you are using the Rustoleum 2X paint. I ended up painting mine three different times because there is soooooo much solvent it in, it melts the layer below. I finally got it close, then wasn't thinking and used the same clear coat which smeared the sharpie. Sigh. Leaving it now. LOL

Also, no time for that double zipper. This prop is going to be the death of me. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered the wrong backpack...

my current guess: The backpack is two backpacks combined, or another kind of backpack i haven't found yet. The one on ebay/ali has the right dimensions and pockets and zipper, but the back-padding is different (has none). I'd say its two backpacks combined, the one we've already found plus the back-part of another similarly sized one. This would explain the second zipper...
View attachment 794592View attachment 794591

i've been wrong about the side pockets too, they're not made from a single layer of mesh stuff but that double layer stuff View attachment 794593

now i guess a second backpack is needed, one that has the right straps and back...
If anyone else has any leads to what that second backpack might be, i'd be really glad!

This one is the one I'm using, and it has the right padding...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F3TYLUM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just be super careful if you are using the Rustoleum 2X paint. I ended up painting mine three different times because there is soooooo much solvent it in, it melts the layer below. I finally got it close, then wasn't thinking and used the same clear coat which smeared the sharpie. Sigh. Leaving it now. LOL

Also, no time for that double zipper. This prop is going to be the death of me. :)

- - - Updated - - -

This one is the one I'm using, and it has the right padding...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F3TYLUM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I seem to have had a different issue to you, looks like my tamiya masking tape dulled the paint and peeled and cracked it as I did the rainbow, have to sand the whole thing smooth again, going to get a vinyl wrap printed, try that way, looking at some pictures from an event where the bag was on display, seems that might be the real way they did it, as for the double zipper, that was a pain to do.

After painting mine, and looking again at the pictures, I am sure they did a vinyl wrap.

I've to one of my two backpacks at an artist friends who is painting it, i could try the vinyl on the other. But i have no experience with that whatsoever. Can i just buy a printed vinyl sheet and wrap it, or do i need to figure out how to cut it like a globe/map to wrap it?

What I wouldn't give for some precision tools and a place to use them. few hiccups on this one. but Im going forward....And thank you Ben3D for the blue print. I think Im screwing It up..lol
IMG_20180602_123708.jpg

IMG_20180602_123321.jpg

Last edited:
MIne's not nearly as accurate as Slash's; I couldn't find the "right" hardshell backpack, and I have numerous shortcomings in the tools and talent departments. I rattlecanned the shell to get rid of the existing graphics. The unicorn image is a vector that a Redditor made (https://i.redd.it/ix3eoorlgne01.png). I printed it on air mail paper and Mod Podged it on. The lights are the stick on strips, powered by 8xAA batteries. To paraphrase Tenacious D: This is not a replica of the greatest backpack in the world; this is just a tribute:
IMG_1728.JPG IMG_1642.JPG IMG_1688.JPG

Love it-great result-I think I might be able to attempt to emulate this-Thank you sir!

MIne's not nearly as accurate as Slash's; I couldn't find the "right" hardshell backpack, and I have numerous shortcomings in the tools and talent departments. I rattlecanned the shell to get rid of the existing graphics. The unicorn image is a vector that a Redditor made (https://i.redd.it/ix3eoorlgne01.png). I printed it on air mail paper and Mod Podged it on. The lights are the stick on strips, powered by 8xAA batteries. To paraphrase Tenacious D: This is not a replica of the greatest backpack in the world; this is just a tribute:

Thank you.:thumbsup Its becoming somewhat of a pain. My blue prints are not matching up with what little I can see in the grabs and it's setting parts off.

It's looking good anyway! Let me know if there's anything I can help with. It might just be details that I had to guess which are misleading you.

You will still probably finish it before me, I'm stuck at the primer stage because I hate sanding :D

2018-06-07 22.25.21.jpg

Wow, there is some really great work on this thread! I just binge read it this morning and find the process of discovery that you have all gone through culminitavely to be fascinating.

Love your WIP rifles sean and Ben3D and Noeland - your carbine looks fantastic.

The use of paint ball guns for props is a great idea as you get the ‘real feeling’ from actors (assuming that they are shooting with CO2) but minimal safety issues.

I just did a film shoot in Japan where they use mostly airsoft guns and 99 percent of them came back from the extras broken in some way. Paintball guns are much more durable but unfortunately very hard to get here.

Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful pictures and I look forward to seeing the finished props!

Wow, there is some really great work on this thread! I just binge read it this morning and find the process of discovery that you have all gone through culminitavely to be fascinating.

Love your WIP rifles @sean and @Ben3D and @Noeland - your carbine looks fantastic.

The use of paint ball guns for props is a great idea as you get the ‘real feeling’ from actors (assuming that they are shooting with CO2) but minimal safety issues.

I just did a film shoot in Japan where they use mostly airsoft guns and 99 percent of them came back from the extras broken in some way. Paintball guns are much more durable but unfortunately very hard to get here.

Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful pictures and I look forward to seeing the finished props!

Thank you. mine Is more or less a test bed to see If I can pull It off. wish this thing would go on display somewhere so somebody could get better pics of It. right in front of my nose and I did not even realize I put the wrong kind of bolts on this thing. headed to the hardware store to see If I can find more correct ones today.update on my sluggish attempt...

IMG_20180610_075012.jpg

If thats sluggish ,I must be going backwards-great work so far-and its obvious, its only going to get better!
Crack on sir-cant wait to see how this works out?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back