robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (Update: 15th Dec 2020)

Re: robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (Pic Heavy)

Well, this is going complicated. Looking your test mades me get stuck. I dont want to paint the coat because I don't feel like I'm capable. I was thinking and I put all my hopes in the varnish because it seems an easy process. I do'nt have the skills to go further than that. Right now I'm stuck.

Hall, I've thinking and maybe the glossy effect that robot3687 achieve with the Coffee mug is due for using the gel instead the varnish? This is a stab in te dark, but maybe worth a try.
Is the gel propper for aply directly in a unpainted surface? I mean use it for coating the jacket.
What about a varnish in spray? What do you think, guys?

Before I forgot. I have a question for robo. The idea of the short collar is superb. How are yo going to put it, behind the fur? I'm curious of how you are going to hide it. I think I'm going to do the shame. Can you share the method, if you do not mind?

Last edited:

Hall, I've thinking and maybe the glossy effect that robot3687 achieve with the Coffee mug is due for using the gel instead the varnish? This is a stab in te dark, but maybe worth a try.
Is the gel propper for aply directly in a unpainted surface? I mean use it for coating the jacket.
What about a varnish in spray? What do you think, guys?

Before I forgot. I have a question for robo. The idea of the short collar is superb. How are yo going to put it, behind the fur? I'm curious of how you are going to hide it. I think I'm going to do the shame. Can you share the method, if you do not mind?

I would say it probably is the gloss gel that leads to the buffing working. Without paint I would suggest mixing it with liquitex fabric medium, but I can't be sure that would work either. You'd have to do tests.

the fur collar is going to be assembled separately (with the bottom edge left open) and it'll just slot over the short collar and get sewn down.

---------

Coat A is all done (aside from the fur collar and painting). I spent about 5.5 hours yesterday doing the topstitching around the edges...I don't know if it was because I was tired, or it was just a difficult thing with all the layers, but I could only describe the process as harrowing...I'd absolutely had it with the coat by the end of the day...lol

Thankfully I'm feeling better about it all today, and will start work on finishing off Coat B this afternoon. I'm hoping to have both coats done by Wednesday. Then it'll be onto the (hopefully not harrowing) process of painting them.

Now, here's some pictures of it on (and those are the eyes of someone who's worked for over 140 hours on something in 3 weeks):

1jwMcgt.png

I would say it probably is the gloss gel that leads to the buffing working. Without paint I would suggest mixing it with liquitex fabric medium, but I can't be sure that would work either. You'd have to do tests.

the fur collar is going to be assembled separately (with the bottom edge left open) and it'll just slot over the short collar and get sewn down.

---------

Coat A is all done (aside from the fur collar and painting). I spent about 5.5 hours yesterday doing the topstitching around the edges...I don't know if it was because I was tired, or it was just a difficult thing with all the layers, but I could only describe the process as harrowing...I'd absolutely had it with the coat by the end of the day...lol

Thankfully I'm feeling better about it all today, and will start work on finishing off Coat B this afternoon. I'm hoping to have both coats done by Wednesday. Then it'll be onto the (hopefully not harrowing) process of painting them.

Now, here's some pictures of it on (and those are the eyes of someone who's worked for over 140 hours on something in 3 weeks):

https://i.imgur.com/1jwMcgt.png

That’s gorgeous!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Re: robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (New pics on pg 3)

This is coming along marvellously. Your hard work is certainly paying off!

Just poking my head up from the work table...

i’ve been working on getting coat B all together, but ran into a problem with the topstitching and am currently waiting on a new set of topstitch needles to arrive.

In the meantime i’ve been finishing up coat A and have almost finished the fur collar. I was worried that I might have messed up all the alignment of the magnets and buckled and such, but i’m happy to report that it’s all gone together really nicely.

i’ll be sure to get some pics over the weekend.

I'm still waiting on the needles to come, so I had to find something else to amuse myself this afternoon. And what better thing than to pattern out what I'll be doing once the K coats are done...

A slightly longer version of Han's jacket from SOLO. It all came together rather quickly, so I guess I'm learning. it looks a bit weird in places (it's a bit hard to translate the layering in 3d), and it doesn't have straps yet, but I'm feeling pretty good about it. I'm thinking that once these coats are done, I might try and get this done for the premiere.

5j7kMMe.png

It was a rather satisfying way to spend an afternoon.

What program do you use for that?

*sigh* still waiting on the needles to arrive...so this is still stalled. I'm hoping they'll come today...

so in the meantime I went ahead and tested a simplified version of the solo jacket pattern and it looks like it's just about perfect (and I should be able to use it as a base pattern once I finally get back to my negan build, too).

I might take some close up pics of some bits of the K coat this afternoon, just to get some new content in here....

well I willed the needles into existence, they arrived about an hour after I posted...lol...so work will start up again tomorrow.

For now though, here's a bit of a picture dump.

First look at the collar, it's just pinned on at the moment (and not yet topstitched). You'll note the shiny hardware, that's on purpose since I'm making these to be like they're brand new. They'll be knocked back after the fact. It's also very sturdy and stands up/holds its shape really well.
DG113Wj.png

- back of the collar and shoulders
- shoulder cap closeup
- sleeve closeup
- overall shot of the lower back showing the angle of the bottom edge and all the topstitching
QZbJGkK.jpg

- pockets and lining
- the seams lining up at the front where it closes with the hook and bar/magnets (haven't put the hook and bar in yet)
- fur and inside facing (which is one piece all the way down like the original)
- bottom edges of the vent. The fabric origami that was required to get this all neat and stitched down almost melted my brain.
- upper end of the vent from the inside.
- overall look at the sleeve
1kqua2C.jpg

Wow. This looks great! Really impressive. I'm glad I held out on buying a replica. Even if you don't offer the pattern, you've inspired me to carry on with my scratch made K coat.

Re: robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (New pics 3/15)

This is incredible work! When I was in design school I had a few friends in the Fashion/Apparel Design dept. and the work that goes into projects like this is huge. Anything tailored really a complex endeavor... I love the design that they did for K's coat. I've seen any number of decent costume versions made, but this is the only one I think might actually make it to "replica" status.

I really like the solution you arrived at re: the finish too.

well...we've stalled again...

Ran into an issue today where my sewing machine started skipping whole big bunches of stitches while doing the topstitching, and not in any consistent manner. So after trying to fix it with no luck I threw in the towel. I'll take a look at it some more over the weekend, but won't be doing any sewing until monday as we're going to be having a mini heatwave over the next few days and I don't feel like sweating all over the coats...lol

In other news, the faux suede for my Solo jacket arrived and....I somehow bought upholstery faux suede...and it was the wrong colour....

it's not all bad though, I should still be able to use it to make something. It just sucks to now have to pony up another $40-50 for the right suede...

alright, so things are back on track with the build. My sewing machine seems like it's fine again, inexplicably. I guess that'll happen when it's 26 years old...lol

I've hand basted the collar on and will machine sew it on tomorrow (it's still a bit hot today). I had tried just pinning it, but it was a nightmare to get it to stay in place. The hand basting seems to have worked out well though and should make top stitching much easier.

and lastly, one last little off-topic picture. I took advantage of my time off from the build to plan out my next few projects:

Top: The Solo jacket which I'd already shown. I ended up lengthening it a little more than I already had, and making it about 5% bigger overall.
Middle: Negan. I'll eventually return to this build...lol. But with the Solo jacket as a base (that I now know fits great) I was able to redo the pattern entirely, and while it still needs work, I'm quite pleased with it.
Bottom: this is a bit of a late addition to the queue. Basically it's an outlet for the incorrect fabric I bought the other day. I was just designing this random jacket when I realised I'd 3/4's of the way 'designed' the EFSF uniform jackets from the original Gundam anime. So this is my sort of 'stealth' Gundam jacket now... The yellow will be gold zips.

3l2wejh.png

anywhoo...back to your regularly scheduled K tomorrow.

You’re a machine, robo3687. Keep up the great work.

well it's frustrating to have to say this, but I think I may have done something to my sewing machine. It just seems to be deciding at random to not work properly. Like it'll sew one big long seam just fine (some topstitching around the collar) but then all of a sudden it'll just start skipping 8 stitches, or just flat out not stitch anything at all...

The most likely culprit for when something happened was the other day when the machine was starting to have trouble with the topstitching and I thought "I'll just try and do it in one go. Maybe stopping and starting is the problem" Cut to 30 seconds later and a bunch of bobbin thread has tangled up, the spool has flown off the top of the machine and the bobbin case has jerked up and popped the cover off. It hasn't been right since.

It is also entirely possible that it's because it's a 30 year old machine and it's done more work in the last 6 weeks than it has in it's whole life. It's shocked the poor thing into submission.

Upshot of the matter is that I think I'm now in the market for a new sewing machine. I don't want to force these coats through this one (coat B still needs a lot of it's border topstitching done) and risk ruining them. It's super important to me that I don't mess up coat B (the gift one)....

I'm thinking something...heavy duty.

I bet if you were in the position to offer patterns, you could easily cover new heavy duty sewing machine... Hint, Hint. Cough, cough. :D

-GG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back