Building a better X-Wing: Revell's 29th scale kit plus Falcon3Dpart's upgrade details

Andrew C.

Got three projects cooking at once right now: the large Y-Wing and two Revell X-Wings with upgrade parts. The upgrade details made by www.falcon3dparts.com are beautiful, makes the Revell X-Wing kit look like the original models. (But with a much better cockpit.)
What I like is that the plastic kit is hollow and has very much room inside, so there is a lot of space for lighting, multiple model mounts and an interior metal skeleton that will stretch all the way from the pivot points inside the hull's center to the tips of the lasers. This should make everything straight and sturdy.
Revell's pivoting solution is not a good one and makes moving the wings a wobbly affair. Also, the new lasers made mostly of brass tubing will weigh a bit and will probably make the plastic wings bend over time, so a sheet of aluminum running from the pivot pieces to the lasers is in order. Could make the lasers with plastic tubing but fear that they would bend or break when transporting or handling the model. Don't want to have any bent wings or crooked lasers showing up now or sometime later.

Here are some of the pictures I've been taking of the work-in-progress:

01 AC 29th scale X-Wing backplate.jpg 02 AC 29th scale X-Wing top trench 2.jpg 04 AC 29th scale X-Wing cockpit comparison.jpg 05 AC 29th scale X-Wing cockpit inserted.jpg

03 AC 29th scale X-Wing new canopy.jpg 06 AC 29th scale X-Wing new canopy w cockpit.jpg 08 AC 29th scale X-Wing lasers 02.jpg 07 AC 29th scale X-Wing lasers 01.jpg

11 AC 29th scale X-Wing add-on parts 02.jpg 10 AC 29th scale X-Wing add-on parts 03.jpg 09 AC 29th scale X-Wing add-on parts 01.jpg 12 AC 29th scale X-Wing add-on parts 04.jpg

What a difference when comparing Revell's cockpit to the upgrade counterparts.

The metal skeleton means entirely rebuilding the wings, and the Falcon 3D Parts are going to be very helpful with that. Just finished drawing up the plans for the metal skeleton and the first pieces will be cut from steel & aluminum soon. Should take about 4 to 8 weeks and can't wait to get my hands on them.

When taken out-of-the-box the Revell model has an impressive size and looks quite nice when built and painted properly, but would recommend getting at least a few of the upgrade parts - they make a world of difference. :thumbsup

Happy modeling, everyone!
Andrew

Last edited:
Re: Building a better X-Wing: Revell's 29th scale kit plus Falcon3Dpart's upgrade det

Wow what an improvment with the printed pilot and cockpit set!

Re: Building a better X-Wing: Revell's 29th scale kit plus Falcon3Dpart's upgrade det

As the German saying goes 'Am dancing at several weddings' and working on the two 29th scale X-Wings, the large Y-Wing and finishing up the large Merchantman at the same time.
After much measuring, pre-planning and drawing plans the aluminum central pivot pieces have been cut for me and arrived last month. Was a bit nervous about the fit because I left very little room for error - in some places just 1mm - but to my relief everything fits perfectly.

AC armature 29th scale X-Wing.jpg

Was originally planning to chop up the Revell kit's wings and cement the plastic engine parts onto the metal wings, but this upgrade set is much more accurate and saves me the trouble. :)

AC engine upgrade parts.jpg

G'day Andrew, are these pivots available at all?

As the German saying goes 'Am dancing at several weddings' and working on the two 29th scale X-Wings, the large Y-Wing and finishing up the large Merchantman at the same time.
After much measuring, pre-planning and drawing plans the aluminum central pivot pieces have been cut for me and arrived last month. Was a bit nervous about the fit because I left very little room for error - in some places just 1mm - but to my relief everything fits perfectly.

View attachment 813536

G'day Andrew, are these pivots available at all?

Hello there, mate! Currently have no plans to market the pivot pieces and am still checking to see where I can get a second set cut for less money. (Having precision metal work done is kinda pricey here in Germany.) If there is a way to get it done at acceptable cost I might think about it and would let you know.

Update:
The first four pictures are to help anyone who is building their 29th scale Revell X-Wing and is planning to work in the aftermarket sets from www.falcon3dparts.com: the backplate needs some removing of plastic from the X-Wing hull to fit, and the same goes for the cockpit. The last picture is to demonstrate fine printing and what the finished 29th scale droids look like. Special thanks to Dirk 'Brushguy' Stiller from www.theminiaturegallery.de for the beautiful paintjob!

AC fitting the backplate.jpg AC  Falcon3Dparts cockpit - tip 01.jpg AC  Falcon3Dparts cockpit - tip 02.JPG AC  Falcon3Dparts cockpit - tip 04.jpg AC finished droids.jpg

Those droids! Fantastic paint work!:eek

Those droids! Fantastic paint work!:eek

Yeah, Dirk is really good at painting the small stuff. :cool He has a lot of experience with tiny white metal figures and small dioramas.

Update:
Here's a pic of X-Wings number 1 (right) and 2. (left) Dremeled a rounded square hole out of Falcon3dpart's rear backplate to accomodate the rear metal model mount. (left side)
The tank body cover is large enough to hide the modification.

AC 29th scale X-Wings 1 and 2.jpg

Update:
The 3D printed parts are delivered with ready-made pockets for 5mm x 2mm magnets - the tank body snaps firmly into place and gives easy access to the interior.
Studio scale purists can choose to go with the traditional smaller round centerpiece, which is seperate and removable as well.

AC 29th scale X-Wing backplate w magnets.jpg

Testfitting of the central aluminum pivot pieces for the wings. Top, bottom and rear model mounts are now firmly cemented inside the hull.

AC wing pivot system 01 .jpg

Just received new engine bases and shot a new picture, here's what you get with www.falcon3dparts.com accurizing set with extras. (The previous picture has four identical bases, which is incorrect.) These will be going onto the metal wings that are currently under construction.

AC 29th scale X-Wing engine bases w extras.jpg

The recessed window edges on Falcon3Dpart's 3D-printed canopy frame looks really neat, so am modifying the rear windows with styrene plastic to look the same.

AC 29th X-Wing rear windows mod.jpg

Update:
The interior becomes increasingly complicated as more modifications are made to the inside hull. Visible are the bottom (and top) model mount, the open underside access hatch with four magnets in the corners, new rear window rims, cockpit tub alignment pieces at the front & rear and parts for closing up the gaps between the cockpit tub and interior hull.
All unnecessary plastic has been removed to create as much room as possible for the electronics board, LEDs, wiring and fiber optic strands.

AC 29th scale X-Wing interior mods.jpg

That cockpit is a beauty!
I agree, Falcon3Dparts cockpit is a work of art.

Is a 1/29 Revell X-Wing different from a 1/30 Revell X-wing?
They are both the same. The box on the backside says 1/29th scale, but Revell got it wrong and the model is really 1/30th scale. I just use what it says on the box in case someone decides they want to get the kit and doesn't go off hunting for something that (seemingly) does not exist.

Great build! Those aftermarket parts make all the difference. Can't wait to see this painted up.

Thanks, Automaton and Goldenstudio!

Here is an overview of the Wing Add-On Parts Set #1 as offered by www.falcon3dparts.com. Very nicely done and will be a great help for detailing my scratchbuilt metal wings.

AC 29th scale X-Wing wing add-ons set 1.jpg

And Wing Add-On Parts Set #2, which gives you more wing greeblies for upping the accuracy of the Revell kit:

AC 29th scale X-Wing wing add-ons set 2.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back