Kylo Ren Helmet + Lightsaber Scratch Build [REFORGED HELMET UPDATE]

Magnavis

Sr Member
UPDATE: You can now get the Reforged Kylo Ren Helmet files here - Kylo Ren Helmet - The Rise of Skywalker - Reforged Version by Magnavis

Kylo-Helmet-IX-DAMAGE-FINAL-001.jpg
Kylo-Helmet-IX-DAMAGE-FINAL-004.jpg
Kylo-Helmet-IX-DAMAGE-FINAL-007.jpg
Kylo-Helmet-IX-DAMAGE-FINAL-009.jpg
Kylo-Helmet-IX-DAMAGE-FINAL-010.jpg

Hey all,

I'm just about ready to jump into this project; a scratch build Kylo Ren Helmet and Lightsaber. Around Xmas I invested in my first 3D printer. Nothing crazy, a Wanhao i3 Plus. I've done a couple of small projects on it, and spent some time calibrating it, and making some mods. It's now ready for it's first big project. I've spend the past month or so modelling my Kylo Helmet (the lightsaber not done yet). Originally, I planned to model the helmet from scratch (technically, I still did), but whilst browsing the Knights of Ren FB group around the time of the Battlefront II release, I noticed someone had posted some ripped game file renders from BF2. After a little bit of looking around, I found these game files on a forum (I've completely forgotten it's name, but some of you may be familiar with it and can remind me) The Kylo file was actually a lot better than I expected it to be. The main plus side was, it seemed to be very accurate in terms of scale/shape etc...and seems to be a watered down version of the model used in the film. I was expecting a lot of it to be normal maps etc...But it wasn't too bad. Not good enough for 3d printing, and missing most of it's detail. But the key detail that it did have, were the holes around the faceplate, which was a huge bonus.

Original-Mesh.pngOriginal-Mesh1.png

This is after I converted to quads. Originally it was Tris. So not bad, but to "fix" this mesh, add the missing details, scratches etc...I knew it would be very difficult based on that. So, I remodelled the helmet, using this as a base to work off of.

Remodelled-mesh.pngRemodelled-mesh1.png

Much Better. I tried to add as many of the dents etc...with topology, but I went in with a final sculpting pass on the helmet (which was a first) and added the remaining holes, dents scratches....and it came out pretty good. Even if there are ~5million verts in just the helmet part o_O

Kylo-SCULPT-PASS-001.pngKylo-SCULPT-PASS-002.pngKylo-SCULPT-PASS-003.pngKylo-SCULPT-PASS-004.png

I then took this model into Meshmixer, cut it into pieces (34 pieces -_- ) and added small hole in the cuts, so I could join them together easily by inserting some nails or something into the holes. they are only 1.5mm holes though, so hopefully they print out ok, otherwise I wasted a lot of time doing that lol

The first part is printing right now ~5 hours at .2 layer height. I did want to print in .1 layer height, but it would have been a 12 hour print. If the details don't come out right (it's the top left part of the helmet, where that big dent is) then I'll print again at .1. The parts are all ~3mm thick at 100% infill. Some of the parts will fit onto the bed together, so although it's 34 pieces, It wont take 34 days to print out. It should come out with a fair bit of weight to the helmet too, which is great!

2018-02-01 13.35.46.jpg

If anyone who has been doing Kylo stuff has any tips for the later parts, painting etc...please let me know :) I have some Alclad for the chrome, but not sure how people are getting the rough texture on the black parts. I've got a few ideas, and will do some tests, but a long way from any of that atm :)

Last edited:
Re: Kylo Ren Helmet + Lightsaber Scratch Build

Got half of the main dome printed out. Had a few print issues caused by a new brand of PLA, but now I've got the settings for it sorted, I'm getting better prints. Only one section came out poor tbf. But whilst it's all printing, I've started modelling Kylos lightsaber. Just blocking things out atm, gettings shapes, proportions etc right. Will probably do that all the way down the saber, and then when all the basic details are in, I'll go back and refine it all.

wip-001.pngwip-002.png

Will post a pic of the Dome when I have both halves printed. I seem to have completely blagged the scale too, which is great! :D

Some more progress.

Firstly, on the lightsaber. Got most of the blocking out done now. Will probably tweak some shapes a little before finalising. But going well. This is my second attempt at modelling the lightsaber, and I'm finding it a lot easier to model, after learning a lot when I did my Helmet.

Kylo-Ren-Lightsaber-006.pngKylo-Ren-Lightsaber-007.pngKylo-Ren-Lightsaber-008.png

We're up to part 7/12 for the main dome. Been having a heap of issues with the printer (under and over extrusion, as well as some extruder gear skipping), but after tweaking a few settings, I think I've finally nailed it, and the last piece came off the bed very cleanly!

2018-02-06 17.38.28.jpg

The first half came out ok, and is glued together, but as mentioned above, I've been having some print issues. I sense there will be a drastic difference in quality between the two halves. Luckily it's all gonna be sanded and filled anyway, so it doesn't matter too much. I still have all the key details. But glad I seem to have nailed the print settings before i started printing the faceplate, as It will need to end up really smooth, and the less filling on that the better! Helmet is likely gonna end up weighing around 1kg in weight, which is about as heavy as I wanted it to be. I didn't want it to feel light, like a toy.

More updates soon :)

Will you be releasing the damaged version? Would love to make my own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're a Blender artist. Congrats !

Still feel like a noob in Blender, even after 7 years!

Will you be releasing the damaged version? Would love to make my own

Don't know yet. I may release the lightsaber file, but not sure about the helmet yet, as the files aren't very optimised.

2 more pieces to print for the main dome. I also got fed up with the filament I bought for this project. It just wouldn't stick to my bed. So gone back to my old filament for the rest of the build. Darker colour, but doesn't really matter. May have a pic today or tomorrow of the main dome glued together.

Finished printing the main dome part. Went together pretty well. 2 halves are just tacked together with hot glue for now. Will use my soldering iron to weld it all solid I think. Weighs around 450g which is pretty good! Most of the details printed out just fine at .2 layer height. Will probbaly lose a few of the small scratches in sanding, but am going to go back in with my dremel and touch most of it up anyway.

2018-02-11 11.53.04.jpg2018-02-11 11.53.13.jpg2018-02-11 11.53.21.jpg2018-02-11 11.53.31.jpg

More updates soon :D

Little bit more progress. Finished blocking out Kylos Lightsaber more or less now.

Kylo-Ren-Lightsaber-009.png

Also, half of the faceplate is now printed. Came out really well. Little bit of tweaking to get it to fit snug at the bottom, but it's not a bad fit as is. Edges just a different angles. Will check the 3D file to confirm how they should connect and work off that.

2018-02-13 20.59.34.jpg2018-02-13 20.59.50.jpg2018-02-13 21.00.07.jpg

Please message me when/if you release the files, looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost finished the Lightsaber. Just some tweaks to make, add some edge loops etc...and then work on how it will all fit together. Will probably model the wire clips in Fusion360 just so I can get better control over them, especially considering their size. They're pretty small. But placed some placeholders there for now.

Kylo-Ren-Lightsaber-010.pngKylo-Ren-Lightsaber-011.pngKylo-Ren-Lightsaber-012.png

All the parts are printed for Kylo's helmet. Lots of sanding etc...to come. Need to work on an area to paint this up too. Currently printing some brackets for a very crude/cheap DIY paint booth. Will just be a table, with some plastic sheets and an extractor fan. But painting is a fair ways away, although it's always a good idea to use primer to gage progress.

2018-02-18 22.33.49.jpg

Almost finished the Lightsaber. Just some tweaks to make, add some edge loops etc...and then work on how it will all fit together. Will probably model the wire clips in Fusion360 just so I can get better control over them, especially considering their size. They're pretty small. But placed some placeholders there for now.

That looks awesome! Could you describe what the insert at the base of the hilt is like? To my eyes it looks like an octagon with greeblies all over it. I'm sure there's a good discussion on this somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it and I don't even know what to call that part haha. I'm working on a far too intricate rework of a cheap Hasbro saber and that's one of the components I don't have a good grasp on.

That looks awesome! Could you describe what the insert at the base of the hilt is like? To my eyes it looks like an octagon with greeblies all over it. I'm sure there's a good discussion on this somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it and I don't even know what to call that part haha. I'm working on a far too intricate rework of a cheap Hasbro saber and that's one of the components I don't have a good grasp on.

Yeah, you're more or less right. I tried to use as many reference images as I could. This is what I came up with based on those reference pics.

Kylo-Ren-Lightsaber-013.pngKylo-Ren-Lightsaber-014.pngKylo-Ren-Lightsaber-015.pngKylo-Ren-Lightsaber-016.png

Thank you for the renders! That helps a huge amount, I love having more reference material.

Almost done with the Lightsaber now. Couple of small tweaks, and making sure it all fits together nicely. I saw someone on here used Aluminium tubes for the wire clips, and that seems like a pretty good idea, so I'll probably do that, as printing them won't really work. Pretty happy with how it's turned out. The sanding of the helmet shall begin this weekend probably. May get the lightsaber printed at some point next week. Depends how long it takes to get this complete and print ready.

Final-001.pngFinal-002.pngFinal-003.pngFinal-004.pngFinal-005.png

I got the lightsaber model finished! I've added an 8mm hole through the middle so that I can put a steel rod through. This is mainly to give it some extra weight, but will actually aid in assembly and give it some extra strength.

The pieces should slot together nice and easy.

Kylo-Saber-Finished-001.pngKylo-Saber-Finished-002.pngKylo-Saber-Finished-003.pngKylo-Saber-Finished-004.pngKylo-Saber-Finished-005.pngKylo-Saber-Finished-006.pngKylo-Saber-Finished-007.pngKylo-Saber-Finished-008.png

I have started sanding the helmet too. Kinda going about as well as I thought it would. LOTS of sanding is required. But I don't mind sanding. Will probably post some updates on that once I have some actual progress, once I have done some filling etc...

Some updates.

First round of priming is done. What I've done so far to get it to this stage is sand all the pieces with some 60 grit sand paper, and then go up through to 240 grit to smooth it out. I then used some filler on the helmet only atm. Just to fill the join marks, and any obvious defects. I then sanded it again. Everything then got a coat of XTC-3D. After that, it all got another quick sanding before priming. I used a filler primer, but it's a pretty cheap primer I got off Amazon ~ £2 a can. Not sure how much filling it's actually done, but its a decent primer for the price.

Next is more sanding and filling. Also, making sure I don't lose details.There are also some high points at some of the joints, which I'll need to sand down, with either a file or my dremel. I may use another coat of XTC after this round of sanding, but not sure yet. The helmet part is pretty crude anyway, so the odd lump and bump here and there isn't so bad. But the faceplate will need to be as smooth as I can get it, due to it being chrome.

2018-03-14 09.58.47.jpg2018-03-14 09.57.59.jpg2018-03-14 09.58.55.jpg2018-03-14 09.59.33.jpg2018-03-14 09.59.41.jpg2018-03-14 09.59.48.jpg2018-03-14 09.59.54.jpg2018-03-14 10.00.23.jpg2018-03-14 09.57.46.jpg2018-03-14 09.57.jpg

So I wanted to do a quick test, to try and get the texture the helmet has. My original idea was to do a final coat of XTC-3D over the piece, and when it was almost dry/tacky, use a sponge and dab it over the resin, which should leave a texture. I did test this out, but the main issue with it was that the sponge would tear up and get stuck to the resin. Also, it would level itself back out.

Will probably test this one again, maybe try wetting the sponge first, but for now, I've given this a try. I used some textures spray paint, and lightly sprayed a small spare piece I had. Once this had fully fried, I sprayed some Satin Black over the top of it. Results are encouraging. Perhaps needs to be a little more subtle. Will need to experiment more. Maybe spray more of the texture on, and then sand it back?

Anywho, let me know what you think.

2018-03-15 16.42.29.jpg2018-03-15 16.42.25.jpg2018-03-15 16.42.35.jpg

More updates. Started printing the lightsaber. The printer actually handles the small greebles at the bottom surprisingly well. I'm probably gonna end up re-printing these parts I have so far though, as some details haven't come out properly, and also, not entirely happy with a few bits now that I can see it physically. Things don't always transfer over that well from 3d space into reality. I'm gonna tweak a couple of bits, and then re-print them. I'll re-print though once I have the rest printed. That way I can see what I want to tweak, but also learn from these parts for the other parts.

In the future, I may look into getting a 0.1mm nozzle for my printer if I plan to print things with small details like this again.

2018-03-15 20.09.03.jpg2018-03-15 20.01.22.jpg

Almost finished printing the lightsaber! For the most part, it's printed very cleanly at a 0.1mm layer height, so sanding should be pretty simple. I will reprint a couple of parts though, as mentioned in previous post.

2018-03-18 21.19.45.jpg

Sanding on the helmet continues. I've got the main dome to a place now where it's near enough ready for a final coat of XTC-3D and final sand before priming/painting. The nose piece is ready to paint (see pic). The under nose piece requires some more work, and the faceplate also requires more work. A lot of it is very smooth now, but there are some refinements to make, and some more sanding to do. But I don't think I'm too far now from looking at painting, which I'm really looking forward too! Also need to do some paint tests at some point.

2018-03-18 21.23.34.jpg2018-03-18 21.23.41.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back