scratch built zf-1

Spartan177

hear goes i like many others always wanted a zf-1 after seeing a few pop up on youtube and the rpf i went online and found a kit that was way out of my price range having a small family and trying to run my own business i figured i would never be able to justify spending that amount of money so i started grabbing as many screen shots and looking at about every source of info available i started to make one i took advice i found on the internet and started with the bull-pup rocket and blowtorch burner then using them for scale i used the screen shot of zorg holding the weapon sideways on and traced the gun on to paper then several hours of measuring and looking at frames of other zf-1's i then made a blueprint of the frame copied on to ply then on to 4mm aluminium sheet i had a frame for about 40 pounds then the real fun started i used monster clay to mould the shell directly on the frame to ensure it would fit exactly i had never sculpted before and it was a bit of a learning curve id sit each night adding and removing clay until about 20 hours later i had something that looked sort of like. i then used a crazy amount of thixo silicone to make a mould of the clay shell which i was intending on slush casting in but on testing the shell ended up thicker in places and i wanted uniformity so i went back to what i was familiar with and fibreglassd it using chopped strand in all the details then layers of tissue and fine matt this ended up being a good decision as its light and strong and it don't feel like plastic and it can take filling and sanding better some tamiya acrylic spray paint and i then had a shell to go on my frame i am lucky enough to have a lathe so all of the accessories i was able to make relatively easily i ended up using all 3 star trek monogram models to make the scope housing and the lower grip fascia the side rails are made of 6mm aluminium and milled on a cheep compound table fixed in my pillar drill these are the only bits id like to redo on a proper mill as they are a bit rough on close inspection the rocket vent rings where made on the lathe and the centres where cast in resin as i couldn't make a nice enough dome on my lathe without the tooling the grip was made with mdf moulded and cast in resin i did a small amount of weathering using black ink scrunched up towel technique the anodising iv done is bit of a cheat i used tamiya clear blue red orange and yellow and cant tell that its not anodised in total i probably spent about 300 pound on the gun not including the clay or silicone which was 200 by it self but can be used again and it took many hours i couldn't tell how many but when you love what your doing time is meaningless

Attachments

• IMG_0409.JPG
    IMG_0409.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    851.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 125
IMG_0326.JPGIMG_0340.JPGii.jpguu.jpgoo.jpg

found a few more pictures i got through a couple of phones during the build ;( so im going through memory cards and old phones trying to find as many pictures as i can

In the new world of 3D printers its super cool to see something like this being scratch built.

thanks it would make life much simpler having a 3d printer it is on my list of many tools but some of the better things iv made have been with my hands as im not to good on the computer i need to get better with them as it dose all seam to be going more and more that way and some of the things i see just printed and painted pains me as to how long it would take me to make the same prop thanks again for the appreciation

hears what i could find from when i was making the moulds for the shell i love what you can do with fiberglass but i hate what it dose to my hands :angryIMG_0265.JPGIMG_0266.JPGIMG_0296.JPGIMG_0297.JPGIMG_0306.JPGIMG_0312.JPGIMG_0313.JPGIMG_0267.JPGIMG_0352.JPGIMG_0340.JPGIMG_0327.JPGIMG_0353.JPGIMG_0321.JPGIMG_0353.JPGIMG_0357.JPGIMG_0354.JPGIMG_0355.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back