Subscribe
    3 Weeks Ago  Jan 31, 2018, 1:08 PM - Homemade DartVader beltboxes #1

Well, belt boxes are not cheap, and I can understand why, circuit making is delicate and time consuming. So I thought I could put together my own, but after looking for all the components, I only found them online all around the world, and with shipping and taxes, it’s basically all the same as if I bought them.

So I decided to make them as accurate as possible but at a 10th of the cost. This means I will have to put in 10x as much effort, but as a maker, 10x as fun.

My halloween boxes I made out of cardboard and resin, but they were quite rough looking , fragile and not accurate. So the new ones i will make out of wood.

They’re almost done. I still have to bondo and sand the corners so they get that nice round filleted look of the hammond’s.

I also found out a real cheap easy way to get the buckle done with a couple of blind outlet covers. So I will show you once i get to it.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jcgardea; 3 Weeks Ago at 5:05 PM.
    From
    Gotham City
    3 Weeks Ago  Jan 31, 2018, 7:00 PM - Re: Homemade DartVader beltboxes #2

Awesome!
    3 Weeks Ago  Feb 1, 2018, 4:28 PM - Re: Homemade DartVader beltboxes #3

It looks realy great are you actualy going to make them functional I mean with lights and able to click ?
    3 Weeks Ago  Feb 1, 2018, 5:03 PM - Re: Homemade DartVader beltboxes #4

Lights yes, but no clicking on the green lights at least. I may use one of the knobs as a switch but right now I’m thinking about reusing the rocker switches.
    I will also see if I can fit a wireless speaker with an sd card for the breathing sound...

2 Weeks Ago  Feb 2, 2018, 9:35 AM - Homemade DartVader beltboxes #5

Here they are with “bondoed” corners and a first coat of primer. So far, so good.
    2 Weeks Ago  Feb 2, 2018, 12:05 PM - Re: Homemade DartVader beltboxes #6

Those are looking good!
    2 Weeks Ago  Feb 2, 2018, 1:24 PM - Re: Homemade DartVader beltboxes #7

Very cool project.
  8. Member Since
    Jan 2018
    2 Weeks Ago  Feb 5, 2018, 10:08 PM - Re: Homemade DartVader beltboxes #8

very cool, thats a great idea for the wireless speakers "following"
    1 Week Ago  Feb 12, 2018, 11:28 PM - Homemade DartVader beltboxes #9

So, I tried to vacuform the button covers with no luck at all. I need a better heat source that is more evenly...

So in the meantime, I’ll do the knobs, but not sure if I should go with the wide ones or the thinner ones. I probably go with the thinner ones since they are easier to assemble. Feedback?
    6 Days Ago  Feb 16, 2018, 9:07 PM - Re: Homemade DartVader beltboxes #10

So Knobs time. So the knobs are commonly made out of an aluminum bar, but I could not find a supplier that sells just a few inches, and getting the whole 3 meter bar is not cost effective. So ended up using a pair of tire pressure gauges for $3 dlls, that had just the right diameter (9.5mm)and and sliced them up into 11mm long tubes.
    For the top I used 1” chicago screws, but because they are a lot thinner than the gauge tubes I had to find something to center the screw. I found a hard vinyl hose I had lying around and cut the centering sleeves and a back spacers.
    I had to polish the top of the screw to erase the brand off. Then I assembled the tube with the sleeve and the screw and glued them with locktite to avoid any wobling. I widened the holes to fit the chicago screw through, then slipped on the vinyl sleeves, and that’s it!. I think they turned out quite OK.