Quick Question: Bandai 1/72 X-Wing vs Rogue one X-Wing

Robert McLain

Sr Member
I had mentioned(hinted) to the Wife that I wanted the Bandai 1/72 scale X-Wing. On a recent trip to Hobby Lobby she used her 40% off coupon to pick one up for me(awesome) Turns out it was the Rogue One two pack with the 1/144 scale mini kit included.

Is there any differences between it and the original Bandai kit other than the decals? If so, that's cool as I intend to paint all the markings anyway.

Thanks in advance,

Robert:)

The original Japan release had a standing pilot figure and seated pilot as well as parts to build 2 full astromech figures with R2 heads and R4 as well as decals specific to Red 5 and the death star base and the exhaust port base and torpedo effect

The repacked BlueFin distributed Rogue One release only has a blank for the standing figure and there is no longer a way to build a full bodied astromech unit, only 1 partial body plug for the droid strip and nothing for a standalone figure. You still get both the R2 and R4 heads though

The decals are specific to Read Leader

There are no Death Star tile bases, just a plain black display stand

You still get the alternate nose cone to build Red 5, and the shorter engine nozzle for Red 3, although while I might have missed it, I can't find the part in the instructions that indicates what those optional parts are for, it only seems to be instructions to build Red Leader

And of course it includes the 1/144 version of the X-wing

Also, looking at the product page, it implies that the original release has been repacked for distribution outside Japan as well
http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/jp/products/xwing_starfighter.html

It no longer has pictures or mentions a standing pilot figure, or standalone astromech figure.

The product page used to look like this before they removed the figure pics
Bandai-Hobby-Star-Wars-X-Wing-Model-Kit-2.jpg

So technically, there are 3 versions of the kit. The original, the Rogue One, and the standing figure-less release of the original

This has pretty much happened to all the original Japan releases like the Y-wing, Tie Fighter etc..., and any new releases since the license fiasco like the A-Wing and Tie Interceptor have never included a 3-d standing figure

Thanks to most likely to Hasbro paranoia over competition and ridiculous antiquated licensing restrictions regarding "figures"

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back