CHAPPiE Replica Costume

amuelb

Hello everybody! (Hi Dr. Nick)
With my local con fast approaching I've been working every night to put together my newest cosplay build! Last year I spent two months making Issac Clarke from DeadSpace 1 and was overjoyed by the response I got... So, as we do... I wanted to go BIGGER.

This year I'm tackling my most complicated cosplay to date, CHAPPiE. I was happy to discover that the movie was finally out on Netflix so at least I'd be able to pull some decent references... but I am someone who is a stickler for detail so I scoured the internet for more decent resources until I stumbled upon BensCollectables on youtube (
) and we connected to share images of his ThreeZero 1/6th collectable model.

After gathering all my resources, it was time to put my graphic design skills to work making life size dieline templates of the character, printing them out, and cutting them out of foam.

Templates:
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 10.11.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-30 at 9.39.48 AM.png

Back: (reference first)
26828796_1754504064630439_851475992_o.jpgIMG_20180111_213044.jpgreceived_10155003633315458.jpgIMG_20180122_223600.jpgreceived_10155003636300458.jpg

Front: (reference first)
26830085_1754504014630444_919274183_o.jpgIMG_20180108_215952.jpgIMG_20180121_153003.jpgreceived_10155003632640458.jpg

Head: (reference first)
26772443_1754504094630436_1671414697_o.jpgIMG_20180101_143509.jpgIMG_20180103_223058.jpgIMG_20180128_200351.jpgreceived_10155021467225458.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a TIGHT fit to get into as a human. Impressive work so far! Keep it up. What is it made from? If you mentioned that, I apologize. I assume foam?

Thanks so much! The movie definitely went under the radar compared to other Neill Blomkamp films... But with him in town lately, it just seems fitting :)

- - - Updated - - -

I will keep you updated the whole way! Deadline is May 11th, 2018. :)

It's going to be snug but I'm a small person, so surprisingly there's a lot of room! As for the middle section however... I am looking for suggestions on how to construct it seeing as he's somewhat hollow in the middle.
The build is entirely foam so far (floormats or kids craft foam). I don't own any fancy equipment so there will be no 3D printing or anything. I do my patchwork with drywall putty mixed with school glue and/or kwikseal.
No need to apologize I'm excited that you're interested!

I have been watching every single Punished Props video imaginable! I love those guys! :love
I was looking into the fabric printing but it's really expensive... one yard of fabric is approx $15.75 US ($19.36 CAN +13% hst) and I'm around 5'7" so thats a lot of fabric! Plus my sewing skills are also a wee-bit rusty. :p

I have been attempting to do this on a budget, I think if I just put all my time and effort into the details, the LEDs, and the paint job, I'll be able to make something pretty convincing. I have considered painting my own body suit by hand, I am pretty good at painting/drawing so I think it could be doable. Do you know what kind of paints would work on a Black Lycra suit?

Despite all the work thats going into this, it is only to compete at my local Comic Con (and trust me it's a small one) so I don't feel the need to break the bank too much.

Thanks so much! More updates coming soon!
I work all day so sadly I only have evenings and weekends to continue my progress, but the deadline is May 11th so stay tuned!

I'm not too sure about fabrics. My knowledge stops at that point. I totally get what you mean though. I have dropped a lot of money into my cosplay (about $1000 total), spread out over 6 months. So I totally understand. I could try helping you with some research into the matter if you wish. I like helping people...lol

Been doing some work on CHAPPiE's stickers and badges.... All are made in Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. There were some places where I could have bought them online, however since I do graphics for a living, I figured it would be more affordable (however time consuming) to just make and print my own on vinyl.
I am keeping all my working files incase anyone else wants them :)

Black Forehead Sticker: (reference first)
I have to say, remaking every single little logo on this sticker took way too long.
Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 11.09.05 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-31 at 11.02.47 AM.png

Orange Reject/Crush Stickers: (references first)
The pen writing on the reject sticker will be added after printing.
Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 11.07.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-31 at 11.09.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 11.03.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-31 at 11.02.56 AM.png

Embroidered Police Badge: (references first)
Again, keeping to a budget means this wont be embroidered... but using photoshop I was able to make it look like it was.
I am going to try doing some tests on foam to see if I can bring in some 3d element by scoring the foam under the sticker.
Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 11.07.16 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-31 at 11.04.51 AM.jpg

Last edited:
I am always open minded to ideas :) If you come up with anything feel free to post it.
I can buy a Lycra bodysuit on Amazon for around $35 CAN, which would be easier and more affordable than most other options. Downside will be the lack of removable gloves (for eating/cellphone use/etc) and lack of removable pants (for obvious reasons). I could do it in two pieces and invest in some cheap black leggings and a black long sleeve, but I don't want the shirt riding up under my costume and it would have to be a turtle neck to cover my exposed neck under the head.

Also, you dropped $1000 on a costume?! Must have looked amazing! What was it and where did you wear it?

If you have an airbrush, you can use createx paints to paint your bodysuit. I would think you could hand paint, just faster to airbrush on. After painting, throw it in the dryer to heat set the paint. Works pretty well.

My wife and I have done this for Draugr and a few other suits (still in process, so no build threads yet). I have used the same for weathering my Tusken raider and it worked very well.

Don't forget Chappie's gold chain!

Thats amazing! Thanks so much — Do you think Createx paints would be available at a Michaels or Wallacks? Those are the only art stores we have here.
I sadly don't own an airbrush but I'm pretty good with a paintbrush if it would have the same effect? I do have my own dryer so I guess thats a bonus :)

I would love to see your body suits to see how they turned out. I'll be keeping an eye on your profile to see if you post any threads :D

Yeah, that gold chain will be a pain — especially because he wears two! I may have to get a friend to 3D print that for me or maybe I'll find a knockoff online.

If you have a home improvement store near you, some of them sell large plastic chains. You could paint them gold.

I believe Punished Props has a thread on their page about theirs:
http://punishedprops.com/2013/09/04/skyrim-draugr-deathlords/

If you spend more time, you can get better results.

I used the createx on my wife's and my tusken raiders here shown on my site: http://iggysdroidfactory.com/2017/11/06/aotc-male-tusken-raider-costume/

On the Michaels or Wallacks, not sure. I know my Hobby Lobby stores sell it near me. I haven't seen any in Michaels and I have never been to a Wallacks. :(

I'll watch the video you sent and see if I can do something similar.
Only home improvement places near me are a micro Home Hardware and Home Depot... Canadian Tire might have something, but they can be more hit and miss. It's a shame we aren't close to halloween, they'd have tons of plastic chains available!

I have until May so I do have a little time... I work full time so I only get a few hours of work time a day. Your paint job on the tusken raider looks great, I think I will definitely give it a try. I don't have a Hobby Lobby here sadly, so maybe I'll check on Amazon as well. Thanks for the heads up :)

I am always open minded to ideas :) If you come up with anything feel free to post it.
I can buy a Lycra bodysuit on Amazon for around $35 CAN, which would be easier and more affordable than most other options. Downside will be the lack of removable gloves (for eating/cellphone use/etc) and lack of removable pants (for obvious reasons). I could do it in two pieces and invest in some cheap black leggings and a black long sleeve, but I don't want the shirt riding up under my costume and it would have to be a turtle neck to cover my exposed neck under the head.

Also, you dropped $1000 on a costume?! Must have looked amazing! What was it and where did you wear it?

Sounds like you've got a plan! I'm sure you'll come up with something. I'm working on Pilot Jack Cooper from Titanfall 2... the display picture I have up on here IS my cosplay. Here's the actual thread for it. https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=286435&p=4396141#post4396141 It shall debut at MetroCon 2018.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got a plan! I'm sure you'll come up with something. I'm working on Pilot Jack Cooper from Titanfall 2... the display picture I have up on here IS my cosplay. Here's the actual thread for it. https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=286435&p=4396141#post4396141 It shall debut at MetroCon 2018.

IT LOOKS SO GOOD! How did you get the mesh material for the visor? It reminds me of a Audio Speaker material... Ive been looking for something similar. Shame I wont be at that Con, where is it?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back