CHAPPiE Replica Costume

very cool stuff, looks fantastic so far! can't wait to see more!
Thanks Aeonpulse!
The build is a slow progress since I can only work on it evenings and weekends.
But I have got a little bit more done on the helmet since my last post!

Head Progress:
I've been slowly working on the sides of the eyes and filling/sanding my seams around where the two disks connect.... and doodling silly faces on the side of the head, couldn't resist! :lol
IMG_20180131_223138.jpgIMG_20180131_223148.jpg

Side by Side Comparison (Back):
I feel like I messed up the top handle a bit, its not quite accurate. I may go back and add more details to it at a later date, for now I just want to make sure I get the basics done. I have done a bit more to the back since this comparison photo was taken.
18-01-30-11-24-14-228_deco.jpg

Darn thats far away from me, but I will keep an eye on it for next year! Some of my family recently move out there, so maybe I'll be lucky enough to get to attend one day!

It's much warmer than living in Canada. I can't live in the cold, I would actually just die. Not sure how big the cons are out there? But I'm told this one is huge! I'll let you know more when I see it in person (July 19-22).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's much warmer than living in Canada. I can't live in the cold, I would actually just die. Not sure how big the cons are out there? But I'm told this one is huge! I'll let you know more when I see it in person (July 19-22).

I am not originally from Canada but I have lived here for about 21 years... and I assure you, you NEVER get used to the cold. It's going to be about -22°c (-7.6°F) tomorrow and we are currently under storm watch for 15cm+ of overnight snow (thats about 6 inches)! It's cold enough that I even wear a blanket at my desk at work.

The cons here are lousy to be 100% honest. The ComicCon I will be attending in Ottawa is at the far end of the city in the middle of nowhere, so getting to it can be a real hassle... and since there is nothing around, you are forced to pay the high prices for your ticket, parking (sometimes in a field about a 10 min walk away from the con), food and drink. I have been to one other ComicCon down in Toronto, but getting there takes about 5 hours by car/train. It was definitely bigger, better, busier and surprisingly more affordable than here... However it's also in March and I won't be ready by then to attend.

I haven't been to any other cons in Canada because getting to them can be more difficult or expensive than you'd expect. Can't wait to hear how the Florida one is however, because I could at least do a family visit at the same time! However, I can imagine wearing a costume in Florida in late July would be extremely hot.

I am not originally from Canada but I have lived here for about 21 years... and I assure you, you NEVER get used to the cold. It's going to be about -22°c (-7.6°F) tomorrow and we are currently under storm watch for 15cm+ of overnight snow (thats about 6 inches)! It's cold enough that I even wear a blanket at my desk at work.

The cons here are lousy to be 100% honest. The ComicCon I will be attending in Ottawa is at the far end of the city in the middle of nowhere, so getting to it can be a real hassle... and since there is nothing around, you are forced to pay the high prices for your ticket, parking (sometimes in a field about a 10 min walk away from the con), food and drink. I have been to one other ComicCon down in Toronto, but getting there takes about 5 hours by car/train. It was definitely bigger, better, busier and surprisingly more affordable than here... However it's also in March and I won't be ready by then to attend.

I haven't been to any other cons in Canada because getting to them can be more difficult or expensive than you'd expect. Can't wait to hear how the Florida one is however, because I could at least do a family visit at the same time! However, I can imagine wearing a costume in Florida in late July would be extremely hot.

Yeah...the cosplay I picked will be stifling. I don't look forward to negotiating that. I'm hoping the inside of the building will be cool enough but we will see. I'm sorry Canada sucks for cons! None of that sounds fun. I'd be very unhappy. Haha.

Yep, the Ottawa one sucks big time (I call the city "Lumberjack City":rolleyes) Toronto is much better for sure. Hang in there amuelb; winter is not forever (thankfully!).
Helmet is starting to look good. Eager to see the next update for sure!

Sent with my flip phone from Lumberjack City

Yep, the Ottawa one sucks big time (I call the city "Lumberjack City":rolleyes) Toronto is much better for sure. Hang in there amuelb; winter is not forever (thankfully!).
Helmet is starting to look good. Eager to see the next update for sure!

Sent with my flip phone from Lumberjack City

Glad to see someone else from Ottawa on here! If you think Ottawa is Lumberjack City... visit Lanark County ;)
Also happy I'm not the only one who thinks the Ottawa comic con is sub par. I think they should hold the convention in the Shaw Centre instead. Hopefully we will cross paths there anyway!

The helmet is progressing nicely! I just finished cutting the holes for my ear pieces, the back fun, attached the proper back, and rigged the helmet with some magnets so I can get it on and off easier. I've attached some pics below!

Head Progress:
The bar that goes over the back of the head is not attached yet... it will sit better once glued in place.
IMG_20180202_080313.jpgIMG_20180202_080308.jpg

And here are some videos of my magnet snaps! I did the magnet trick on my Plasma Cutter (Dead Space 1 Weapon) last year to access the battery pack and LEDS. I apologize for my horrible videos... I filmed them vertical like an amateur.

The click of the magnets is so satifiying to hear. I know that sounds weird, but I like it. This is really coming together nicely. I can't wait to see the finished result! Keep up the videos! I'm debating about doing a video of assembling and painting a 3d printed gun prop...but I am still waiting on my supplier. It's been almost two months. Allegedly their machines went down and they are supposed to ship it Saturday. If I don't get a shipping confirm by then, I am appealing Etsy.

On the topic of 3d printed effects on fabric I saw an amazing vid on facebook yesterday, I can't link it as i'm on a work PC so no facebook available (i'll try and link later if you're interested) but it was on the group Evil Ted's Foam Fanatics and it showed amazing 3D printed fabrics which were created by laying down a thin layer on the print bed, pausing the print and then laying a porous fabric on top of the thin layer and continuing the print as you wanted... it was amazing and assuming you have access to a 3d printer would be a very cheap solution.
Note: I've seen 3d printed t-shirts etc before but they are printed directly on and peel off, these prints are embedded due to the print being both sides and melted into the porous fabric :)

Here we go [video]https://www.facebook.com/groups/Prusai3users/permalink/876122559238893/[/video]
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Prusai3users/permalink/876122559238893/

Last edited:
You're in Lanark County:eek My poor woman, no wonder! But, yes, you're right: the Shaw Center would be a better venue for sure. I dig the magnets you've place on the helmet, it'll make your life less miserable;) I still don't see how you're going to "fit" in that costume...that's why I'm eagerly waiting for updates!

The click of the magnets is so satifiying to hear. I know that sounds weird, but I like it. This is really coming together nicely. I can't wait to see the finished result! Keep up the videos! I'm debating about doing a video of assembling and painting a 3d printed gun prop...but I am still waiting on my supplier. It's been almost two months. Allegedly their machines went down and they are supposed to ship it Saturday. If I don't get a shipping confirm by then, I am appealing Etsy.

Not weird at all, honestly the click of the magnets is SO satisfying! (I'd glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!)
I have been doing a few videos here and there... originally I was only doing them so I could nerd out with my dad but decided uploading them could be useful! I will film horizontally from now on. You should do a video! I love watching stuff like that. Its always interesting to see a piece come together and you can learn a thing or two from watching someone else do it.
Since it's now past Saturday, did your prop ship or do you have to look elsewhere?

On the topic of 3d printed effects on fabric I saw an amazing vid on facebook yesterday, I can't link it as i'm on a work PC so no facebook available (i'll try and link later if you're interested) but it was on the group Evil Ted's Foam Fanatics and it showed amazing 3D printed fabrics which were created by laying down a thin layer on the print bed, pausing the print and then laying a porous fabric on top of the thin layer and continuing the print as you wanted... it was amazing and assuming you have access to a 3d printer would be a very cheap solution.
Note: I've seen 3d printed t-shirts etc before but they are printed directly on and peel off, these prints are embedded due to the print being both sides and melted into the porous fabric :)

Here we go https://www.facebook.com/groups/Prusai3users/permalink/876122559238893/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Prusai3users/permalink/876122559238893/

I will definitely look into that! I sadly don't own a 3D printer and I'm working on a very tight budget. Honestly, seeing videos like the ones you sent make me realize how useful a 3d printer would be, I could have made the entire body suit with the "metal plates" already on it... I am also looking into laser cutters/engravers, but everything is just so expensive and finding somewhere to put it is always an issue!

I am going to pass those videos off to a friend of mine — I think they could really use it for their builds (they specialize in oversized space marine builds) Thanks so much! If you find anything else, Im always interested in looking into it for future projects!

You're in Lanark County:eek My poor woman, no wonder! But, yes, you're right: the Shaw Center would be a better venue for sure. I dig the magnets you've place on the helmet, it'll make your life less miserable;) I still don't see how you're going to "fit" in that costume...that's why I'm eagerly waiting for updates!

I grew up in Lanark County, thankfully I am in Ottawa now (not that it feels much better :facepalm) I really wish they would move the venue, I think it would help to draw a larger crowd.
The magnets were the only way I was going to get that helmet on my head — I'm trying to make this build as snug as possible because it's really easy to make him look oversized and badly proportioned. Im about 5'7" and 110lbs, being a stick has its advantages. The chest piece even looks a little large on me! I'l post a photo of the helmet fitted on my head so you can see.

I've also put together a new video for the lighting that I'll be installing in the head :) warning, my wiring stills are subpar at best and they're only being tested on a watch battery for now!
(excuse the noise of Bioshock Infinite in the background)

Yes, looking good; sub-par or not, as long as it works! Being slim is an understatement for wearing that costume for sure (I couldn't do it even if I tried:D).
Keep up the good work!

Embroidered Police Badge: (references first)
Again, keeping to a budget means this wont be embroidered... but using photoshop I was able to make it look like it was.
I am going to try doing some tests on foam to see if I can bring in some 3d element by scoring the foam under the sticker.
View attachment 791565View attachment 791566

You could print the picture onto a Tshirt transfer paper and then use a iron to transfer it onto real fabric.

Not weird at all, honestly the click of the magnets is SO satisfying! (I'd glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!)
I have been doing a few videos here and there... originally I was only doing them so I could nerd out with my dad but decided uploading them could be useful! I will film horizontally from now on. You should do a video! I love watching stuff like that. Its always interesting to see a piece come together and you can learn a thing or two from watching someone else do it.
Since it's now past Saturday, did your prop ship or do you have to look elsewhere?

Loving the look for the eyes you are going with. You might be able to pick up an LED lighting kit for cheap on Amazon. I paid $16 USD for mine. I still don't have my prop sent yet, but the seller swears they will have it out this next week (they've had problems with their 3D printers). The company is based out if China...and if you think Chinese technical support is helpful or useful, you've got another thing coming. Still waiting on that. In the meantime, I am collecting merchandise from another IP I enjoy.

Yes, looking good; sub-par or not, as long as it works! Being slim is an understatement for wearing that costume for sure (I couldn't do it even if I tried:D).
Keep up the good work!
Honestly, it's one of the main reasons why I chose it! When I did Issac Clarke from Dead Space, I looked too small. But for this costume, I will finally look like I fit!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back