Dr Doom Original Concept WIP (Pic Heavy)

This is fantastic! Love your original design choices. Subscribed!

Thanks! Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend and I’ll be able to get some pieces coated for a good, clean look at how those choices are shaping up. Sometimes it’s hard to really see it when there are sketching lines and marks all over the place. :)

Short update, but some exciting stuff going on. So, picking up where I left off, I added the straps to the underside of the chest. These are made of 2" elastic bands covered with the same silver material as the lower torso.

They were attached to the lower sides of the chest with contact cement. Velcro closures were also added to the back of the chest and neck. I then decided to spray some silver on the chest to get a good look at all the seams and see what needed attention.

Before I did that, though, I realized that the shoulders were a little too low and caused the entire piece to rise too high on the neck and chest. So, I used some tracing paper and drafted an area to cut out.

With this section removed, the chest piece sits properly on my shoulders and I have better range of motion. The fact that this area is cut out won't matter when the entire project is complete as it will be covered by the fabric parts of the costume.

I then turned to fixing the seams. There were a couple of construction seams that needed filler and I also wasn't happy with how deep the decorative seams were. So, I filled them in a little as well with my ElastoPatch.

While the filler was drying, I decided to give the helmet a couple of coats of PlastiDip so I could get a good, clean look at it.

Once the filler on the chest was dry, I gave it another coat of PlastiDip and also coated the shoulders and biceps. Here's a test fit of all the coated pieces so far.

Next up - the forearms, hands and lower body get underway. Stay tuned!

It's coming along great so far. Are you going to be adding the "mouth guard" later on or will you be keeping the mout "open" per say?

I know this is going to turn out incredible!!!!!!!!:thumbsup

Thanks! I think this is the most complex project I’ve attempted - full armor suit with hands and helmet, full costume, lights and electronics. Whew! I’ve done all of those components before, but never all in a single project.

Another awesome design, Sean. Can't wait to see how the rest of the suit comes together. I envy your templating skill (the backpack piece on my current build is draining years off my life). Subscribed!

Another awesome design, Sean. Can't wait to see how the rest of the suit comes together. I envy your templating skill (the backpack piece on my current build is draining years off my life). Subscribed!

Thanks Vox! I got a huge head start on base pieces thanks to Xieng’s work. The rest is all just trial and error.

I’ve been following your build as well. Looks like you’re making some good progress! LMK if you want to chat over anything. :)

Update time!

I began on the forearms next. Each one consists of 3 pieces that were heat formed first and then assembled.

I then began adding the details in the same manner as the rest of the pieces. Here are the forearms at the beginning stages of detailing.

At this point, being unsure of how I felt about the forearms (and because the weather took a turn for the worse and I couldn't really work outside), I decided to take a break from the armor and start developing the soft parts of the costume. I started with the base piece that will serve as the foundation for the hood and cape.

I wanted to have something between a vest and a harness that would reflect the original character but not cover all of the armor. I started by drafting a simple pattern in muslin that would fit over the shoulders and around the chest/back.

Since this piece needed to hold up the weight of the hood and cape as well as cover the gap in the shoulder, I wanted it to have a good amount of structure but still be flexible. So, I grabbed the headliner foam and backed the fabric with it. The primary fabric is a nice, deep green linen. I also found a nice copper-green thin faux leather that I'm using for accents.

The backed vest pieces were bound around the outer edges in the leather in the front and green twill tape in back. I used the twill tape in the back as it will be covered and will be more friendly to attaching additional pieces, should that occur.

I decided to add some detail to the front to give it a more 'harness' look. I created a simple shape from 2mm craft foam and covered it with the metallic faux leather.

These pieces were then added to the front of the vest and the side seams were closed. Originally, I thought about adding some kind of hanging sleeve to the vest but, in the end, the patterns I came up with just didn't work. I decided to scrap that idea and finish off the armholes with the metallic and decide on the shoulder details later.

For the shoulders, I'm thinking I'll go with a Loki or Thor type accent - something like a wing that will extend over the shoulder and support the cape draped over it. I'm also planning to detail the metallic accent pieces to match the discs for the cape - which have yet to be designed.

It's definitely taking on a life of its own...

Omg. This is incredibly awesome. I usually don’t like foam builds but this one is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is brilliant working, specially I appreciate you about the design of the chest circuit. Nice Job!!!

Thanks! I wanted to take the character in a different direction so I though, what if he's like an inside out robot? Like, a big, 3D circuit board - reminiscent of Tron (original) but armor.

Omg. This is incredibly awesome. I usually don’t like foam builds but this one is amazing.

Thanks! I love foam. Haha I like the challenge and the fact that it's easy to work with and not overly messy. Also, not as expensive for such a large piece and lightweight.

Kind of a short update, but I'm excited about this progress as it involves the hood.

This is an iconic aspect of the character and I toyed around with a lot of different ideas on how to create it. In the end, I decided to keep it simple and focus on what I considered the most important aspects of the hood: the correct proportion for the head and the right shape at the shoulders without it being 'slouchy' or floppy around the face.

I didn't take pictures of the patterning process as I went through a lot of muslin versions, but I eventually ended up with this - a basic hood with a gusset at the top and a lower edge that fits the neck edge of the vest.

The hood was made of the same base green linen flat lined with muslin to give it structure. It was then lined with dark green taffeta, the front edge bound with the same metallic as the rest of the vest and the lower edge finished with bias tape.

The hood was attached to the neck edge of the vest and I then moved to the shoulders.

I wanted to create some detail pieces for the vest that extended over the shoulders. These were added to serve several purposes:

• To hold the vest up on the shoulders and prevent it wanting to fall into the gap between the armor pieces
  • To represent the sleeves that I decided not to add and create an element that evoked Thor and Loki's design elements that are similar in the MCU
  • To provide support for the cape where it extends over the shoulders

The base shape was created to fit over the shoulder and have the proportion I wanted. I then cut them out of 2mm craft foam along with an additional detail piece. The bases were glued to the green linen with Super 77 and the smaller detail pieces covered with the bronze metallic.

The bronze detail was stitched down. Then the pieces were lined with the taffeta and edged in the metallic.

Once completed, these pieces were added to the vest.

Here are the vest and upper body at this stage.

Stay tuned!

SMP Designs You've outdone yourself once again. Seriously, this is shaping up so nicely. I LOVE that bronze faux paired with the green fabric, looks so rich, sorta Loki-esque in color scheme eh? Can't wait to see more! I also can't wait to have a hand in this project, I'll be sure to post some progress once that comes to life.

Last edited by a moderator:
@SMP Designs You've outdone yourself once again. Seriously, this is shaping up so nicely. I LOVE that bronze faux paired with the green fabric, looks so rich, sorta Loki-esque in color scheme eh? Can't wait to see more! I also can't wait to have a hand in this project, I'll be sure to post some progress once that comes to life.

Thanks man! Yeah, I was very happy to find those fabrics and especially happy that they are working out so well. I'm planning to further detail all the pieces with hardware, I've just not decided on those bits yet.

I'm very excited to see what you come up with for the hardware. I know it's going to be amazing!

Holy smokes!!! You are crushing this build, bud

Thanks man! :)

How the HELL are you able to rock the foam like this?!

Haha, lots of practice. The first few things I tried were - ehrm - interesting. As I've experimented, I've picked up some new tricks and techniques that have helped me refine the projects. I've also taken a lot of tips from Evil Ted and Sean Xieng. Here are their YouTube channels if you want to check them out:

Evil Ted: https://www.youtube.com/user/evilted40

Xieng Prod: https://www.youtube.com/user/xiengprod

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back