R.I.P Beetle Bailey artist Mort Walker

Probe Droid

Master Member
Mort Walker, who drew Beetle Bailey for 67 years, has died at 94. Saw him at NYCC many times over the years. Nice guy.

He also drew Hi and Lois (Lois is Beetle's sister). Apparently his kids are taking over Beetle Bailey.

Adios, Mort.

Mort Walker.JPG

R.I.P. Mr Walker.

I love reading Beetle Bailey, probably even moreso because I'm in the military. Even if his kids continue it on, it won't be the same.

My dad was military and I remember when I was sick, Mom would go on base and bring back a book of Beetle comics for me. Good memories.

There was a racist comic that had been going around I'd say Late 70s to early 80s. It was of Lieutenant Flap walking by Beetle raising his fist and saying "Black Power" Beetle thinks about it, goes up to him, kicks him in the crotch and says "White Supremacy". Well Mort got a lot of flack because people thought he actually drew it, so he got a bunch of lawyers and brought the Hand of God down on the ones responsible. Always applauded him for that.

I read the comic a lot when I was a kid back in the '80s. I didn't know that it had been going on for so long. Fond memories.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back