Thefive0

I’m hoping for a clean build from scratch. I’m a moderately skilled carpenter hoping to learn as I go.

my first debate is where to put my HIC. The first 2 photos are on the left side of my theater room. The enterance is on the left side of the photo and and the theater screen is on the far right.

44F80F0A-21DC-411C-8535-17191F0CBE59.jpeg4B2FE61A-2E2E-414B-9803-234F752E9881.jpeg

These photos are on the right side of the room and allow for a better view when you walk in.

74B8D90C-3E0D-4BA7-B5B0-BA3A305B4DAD.jpegA6BE9233-655F-487A-B886-81627412CB9C.jpeg

My dilemma is trying to create an isolated wall for han or implement him in with my display that is already there. The display wall is what you will see right when you walk it but han may bother us when we watch movies.

Any suggestions are appreciated....

Last edited:
It looks to me that Han might bother you no matter which side he is on. Perhaps a set of curtains that open from the center with a draw rope to cover Han when you watch movies?

Mark

Can't wait to see your build!

Just a thought, if you pulled your seats closer to the screen, Han could be place behind you and given a wall of his own. Create enough space to walk around the seats for closer viewing obviously. You'd still get a great reveal on him when entering the room and he'd be out of sight while watching movies.

My two cents.

I thought about that too. My plan is to add another row of seating and raise the back by building a platform. I love the thought though. I’m hoping he doesn’t look to cluttered on one of the sides.

that is one beautiful setup! i envy your ceilings! i live in a basement apartment, with drop ceiling tiles... these suckers leak dust on a daily bases...

Here are some of the photos of my cabinet build for HAN. I really wanted to do this all the way through from beginning to end. I know there are some awesome pre build boxes on here but I thought it would be fun to figure it out as I went. I just based this off of the plans that have been found on here.

Here are the plans I used.
Image.jpg
These are the top one bottom panel for the cabinet that I measured based off of the blueprint above.

Image-1.jpgImage-2.jpg
These are the cut out pieces for the sides, top and bottom.
Image-3.jpg

For some reason this site wont let me upload my files in order. So here are some of the photos of the box when it was put more together. I rounded out the trim pieces with my router just to make sure it didn't look to harsh. I noticed the HIC in ESB had just a little rounded on the top of the box

Image-1-2.jpg
Image-1-3.jpgImage-2-2.jpgImage-2-3.jpg

Here are some of the detail pictures I have. This is the framing I put in to helps support the box. I used 3/4 MDF for the outside frame, 1/2 pine board for the Han deck, 1/2 pine board for the trim/frame around Han, and a mixture of 2x4's 1x3's and 1/2" MDF for some of the inside shaping.
Image-3-2.jpg
These are the frames I made for the 8 side panels. I wanted it to have more depth for the angle of the Volvo panels when I mount them.
Image-4-2.jpgImage-5.jpg
Image-5-2.jpg
I had a bit of a choice to make with the trim. I didn't want it to be too deep and then have to fill in a ton of glue/bondo to lift Han up high enough. I ended up just cutting 3.5" strips out of the 1/2" pine board to frame it out and lesson the depth.
Image-6.jpg
This is the box when it was finally glued all together and locked in. I still haven't mounted the 8 panel supports yet because I want to get the panels and make sure the measurements are perfect first.
Image-4-3.jpg
This is the topside after I locked it all together and sanded it down at little.

Image-3-3.jpg
Here is the first coat of Bondo to fill in some of the gaps and a few of the router hic-ups that I had. This was pretty easy to work with but a little advice is to not mix too much at once. You really only want to work with small amounts that you can place and mold within about 3-4 minutes. It is really easy to put together when it is just mixed but it gets firm real fast.
Image-5-3.jpg

So i had I had some time and decided to look into mounting the tv stand to the cabinet. I got this stand at IKEA for $25. I just created the bracing and leveled the mounts.

75F04610-8B77-47A8-A17C-387465E40ABF.jpeg

I decided on on the left side of my room. It left the other side more open and I think I can have the HIC all set and lit up during movies without bothering us too bad
1274E450-30A6-4BAD-BF9C-A1E701F5C832.jpeg

I decided to paint the back mounting area black so it’s not as noticeable from the side. I also think I am going to install back lighting and this will make it more subtle.
F3F04C74-AFE0-478C-9640-C3283E8BB629.jpeg

This is what it looks like mounted on the wall. I am going to attach some support to the bottom eventually to make it looks more level. I think I will leave it with a slight angle though. I kind of like it.
9125D5A5-435D-431E-8363-7DA74269269E.jpeg

Here is the front view.
E866943F-FAA0-47B0-B46A-1572EDC58990.jpeg

Now it’s back upstairs with the cabinet and more Bondo and sanding...... then more Bondo..... then more sanding... :(

to attach him to the wall try looking up a French cleat that is how I hung my HIC holds perfectly.

Great job so far looking forward to see it completed.

NICE! I’ve seen these before but couldn’t remember what they were called. So I ended up having to buy the tv mount. I think once I get the bottom leveled out a bit it will end up working. Great thought!

Hey Thefive0 ! I have a simple solution answer to your concerns about Han bothering you while you watch movies...assuming you mean that the lights from the display will distract you... add an On/Off switch as one of your greeblies!

Or a complicated solution answer would be to see if one of erv 's Blaster Core or other soundboards could be used to control the lights. Then you might be able to use Mobile R.I.C.E. via a HM-13 Bluetooth Module and turn the lights off with your phone.

Good Luck on your build! It looks like you're moving right along!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @Thefive0 ! I have a simple solution answer to your concerns about Han bothering you while you watch movies...assuming you mean that the lights from the display will distract you... add an On/Off switch as one of your greeblies!

Or a complicated solution answer would be to see if one of @erv 's Blaster Core or other soundboards could be used to control the lights. Then you might be able to use Mobile R.I.C.E. via a HM-13 Bluetooth Module and turn the lights off with your phone.

Good Luck on your build! It looks like you're moving right along!!!

Love it! I think I may do that. I’m thinking about hooking up Alexa and using voice commands! Love it!

Very cool build, I'll keep following : my HC room got a HIC integrated into its access door (obviously it doesn't have the "frame" around it or it would have been a vault door) and I yet have to complete some of the electronics for it.
The switch is IMO the simplest solution. It doesn't need to ON all the time. I don't know what you have planned to animate your lights but I would simply use:
- a arduino for just the blinkies, as the scenario is really simple (some are blinking at a constant pace, other could just be turned on and off by activating diag "channels"
- use the arduino to also control a led strip mounted between the rear edge of the frame, to back-illuminate the wall. The strip can then produce a glow or any animation illustrating the melting cabonite, or just some cool halo lighting.

The Alexa idea is would be super cool. I think I'm gonna try that with mine.

Please post more progress pics when you can I will keep following:

So my Han arrived.
A419A156-9817-4A1E-87D1-C39051794BB1.jpeg

I am am pleased overall with the mold. The face and hands appear to be really well done.
91F7E394-BAC8-43DB-80A7-E1347812869A.jpeg
7E6A31B9-EF51-4007-8D68-E5C3CFB48C22.jpeg
83EDB2AE-0893-484A-84B7-E6D7F73FC573.jpeg
553F4AFD-CBE3-49E1-A700-D7179055DB73.jpeg
My only concern is how thin the mold feels. I’m trying to decide how to combine the separated pieces and how to secure it to the box.

Any thoughts? Should I use some form of silicone or adhesive and then just screws?

also.... should I use some fill for the back? Like foam? Just want to make it to have a more sturdy feel.

8EB5A59F-57AD-4164-90B1-5F60BBC6561C.jpeg

Looks like we may have both sourced our HIC's from the same seller, so I'm curious to see how you go about attaching yours to the base. I always figured I'd use liquid nails and screws and then try to bondo over the screw heads.

Liquid Nail or anything that has a little volume all around the edges on the plastic underside. Then, screws to hold everything in place. Be sure that those edges are as tight to the surface as possible.

Depending on how thick that plastic is, go with pilot holes first and keep all screws around the outer edge so that when you're gonna build up your carbonite, those edges will disappear under it and the screws along with them!

That wood frame is pretty rough, I see a lot of putty and sanding in the coming days! :D

Keep at it!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back