Robin (Kermit's Nephew) Photo Puppet Build!

ecl

Sr Member
Robin (Kermit’s Nephew) Photo Puppet Project!

I just finished up my latest Muppet replica build. This time it’s a Robin “Photo Puppet”—posable with interior wire armature.

I figured it was the most logical character to make after having made a Kermit puppet. I had to modify the patterns, as Robin’s torso and head is one piece. The pattern was a lot of guesswork, and I did additional trimming as I was sewing the pieces together to get the look right.

Below are in-progress photos taken throughout the build! Overall, the process was very similar to my Kermit build, with the exception of adding metal armature wire inside to make him posable.

The eyes this time were purchased from the same place I bought the antron fleece from (Puppet Pelts, aka Dewey Street on etsy)). They’re 35mm domes, which are 5mm less than the 40mm ping pongs I used on Kermit.

UyAZuKg.jpg

zIwhJ0t.jpg

xac0evN.jpg

5yUqnqJ.jpg

Nzw6LRv.jpg

gntXXUU.jpg

YNVkKj8.jpg

NKhAXe6.jpg

syNHiC1.jpg

fXlca6l.jpg

Q1qx1xp.png

bS89k6t.jpg

82fBPfW.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Robin (Kermit's Nephew) Photo Puppet Build!

This turned out amazing! How hard would you say a project like this would be for someone who has never made anything like this before?

This turned out amazing! How hard would you say a project like this would be for someone who has never made anything like this before?

Thanks! That’s a good question. When I first started working on my Kermit puppet last year, I didn’t have any real experience with sewing or working with fabric. It was much more daunting to just think about it than to simply jump into it and see how things go. The Henson stitch actually isn’t too hard to learn. Practice on a few scrap pieces, and it gets easier. Although I would have to say overall it was still quite challenging, at least in the beginning, for me to refine it to the point where I felt they were faithful replicas. Even with decent patterns, a lot of trimming and fitting to get things to work right is involved. But I’m pretty sure with some patience and practice, building these things is definitely possible, especially if someone has some sort of experience with crafting. There’s a bit of a learning curve, as it’s very different from the cutting and sanding that alot of us are used to, but once you have the basic sewing techniques down, it’s not too bad!

It also helps that the “antron fleece” is very forgiving and easy to work with. Even mediocre stitch work can be hidden by fluffing up the fleece surface with a needle! Also, another vital thing to learn is to be efficient with using pins. Pieces of fabric can easily shift during the sewing process, so not skimping out on pinning the pieces firmly together is really important....and saves a lot of time and headache!

CA459A47-73B8-47DC-BFA7-03FF89E06137.jpeg

Last edited:

Awesome Job your stitching is clean and I mean CLEAN!

Build another Robin recently; this time with a different colored Antron fleece. It's a bit darker and more subdued looking..almost an olive color. This one does not have any wires in it; kind of a "closed" puppet design. The interior has hand shaped high density foam to help maintain his shape.

O2D7gP4.jpg

5n2PDZr.jpg

xC7rXBD.jpg

ifZfyY2.jpg

HOLY MOLY!!! How did I miss this project.
I’m such a huge fan of your magic skills. :)

As with the Kermit puppets you did, Robin looks spot on.
Outstanding work. Both versions look great. You are really
great at capturing the soul of the character, it truly looks like
these were made at Henson’s. And that’s some achievement.

Both Kermit and Robin has changed a bit in appearence
over the years, and I like every version for what they were,
but of course I got my favorites, as you know.

The darker Robin looks a bit like the earlier ones, and the first
one you did kinda resembles the early 90’s ones. Either way,
they both look stunning. I can’t wait to see what you do next.

Great work! :)

HOLY MOLY!!! How did I miss this project.
I’m such a huge fan of your magic skills. :)

As with the Kermit puppets you did, Robin looks spot on.
Outstanding work. Both versions look great. You are really
great at capturing the soul of the character, it truly looks like
these were made at Henson’s. And that’s some achievement.

Both Kermit and Robin has changed a bit in appearence
over the years, and I like every version for what they were,
but of course I got my favorites, as you know.

The darker Robin looks a bit like the earlier ones, and the first
one you did kinda resembles the early 90’s ones. Either way,
they both look stunning. I can’t wait to see what you do next.

Great work! :)

Hello!! And thanks :) Robin was a logical build following my Kermit builds, as the patterns are similar enough! I really like the darker fabric (it’s actually only slightly darker than the Kermit, but much less saturated/vibrant). My biggest concern with any Muppet build is capturing their character; I’m glad that comes through in these. It’s surprisingly difficult sometimes, because it’s often in the small tiny details. I actually didn’t spend too much time modifying Robin’s patterns; I made a few lucky guesses that ended up working, but having built so many Kermits helped out a lot.

I do plan on building another Muppet replica at some point—non frog related—but still deciding which one before jumping into it. I want to do a character that is more obscure.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back